Brandon Paluzzi

Default Line level splitting -- does it require transformers?

Hi all-

Still working on the in-ear monitor rig for my band.

Have a quick question --

I'm running three main types of sources, all of which will need to be
split to the house/monitor desks.

1- Microphone; coming from the guitar amp and vocalist
2- line-level, via a DI box; coming from the violin and keyboards (2
channels)
3- line-level, no DI; coming from bass guitar and electric drums (6
channels)

I'm planning on using transformered splits (whirlwind) in the rig, and
wanted to check before purchasing them -- what signal types (of the
three above) would actually benefit from the transformers?

My guess is that 1 and 2 (mic and DI) would need them, but they
probably wouldn't be necessary for the straight line-level inputs. Is
this correct or incorrect, in your experience/opinion?

A bit more background info-- this rig will be travelling, and run on a
wide variety of systems. The monitor desk will be run from stage,
driving 5 in-ear monitor systems (3 wireless, 2 wired). there will be
additional mics running into the monitor desk that are not connected
to the house (ambient mics, mainly), but they will not require phantom
power, so phantom from the monitor desk will be off.

Thanks in advance!

brandon paluzzi
Rob Beech

"Brandon Paluzzi" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Why is the bas guitar not DI's? i have known this to cause problems on many
occasions as it picks up interference which you only boost by bringing out
the low frequencies of the bass guitar.
Unless the output on a bass Combo or Head is actually a DI out on XLR?

sodderboy

All sources will benefit from transformers. You will be going to all
sorts of venues, and you have no control over how audio and electrics
are wired, so the fewer hard wire connections between you and them the
better.
The hardwire mult is cool for a recording studio, but not for live.
HUH?

Brandon Paluzzi

"Rob Beech" wrote in message ...
[...]

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear at all about what I meant.

The bass and drums are both next to the mixer, so I'll use 1/4" cables
to connect to DIs that are in my rack. I can then send from the XLR
out on the DI to the house, and use the thru (wired in parallel) from
the DI to go to the monitor desk.

The keyboards and violin are significantly far enough away that I need
to go to a DI before bringing it into my rack.

Brandon Paluzzi

"Rob Beech" wrote in message ...
[...]

Oh, and yes, the bass signal will be running a direct out (1/4") from
the head, not straight from the instrument itself.