Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Default Question about USB-connected and -powered preamps

.... like the M-Audio or the ProTools Mbox 2: does anyone know if these
can be used just as straight-through preamps? My band is considering
getting one of these for recording, where it would be used with a
computer. But I'm wondering whether, if the unit were supplied just with
power through the USB port, it could also be used as a portable
preamp/mixer, using the line output into a PA amp. Do they need to be
under software control to work, or do they default to a
"straight-through" mode with no USB connection?

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"David Nebenzahl" wrote...
... like the M-Audio or the ProTools Mbox 2: does anyone know if these
can be used just as straight-through preamps? My band is considering
getting one of these for recording, where it would be used with a
computer. But I'm wondering whether, if the unit were supplied just
with power through the USB port, it could also be used as a portable
preamp/mixer, using the line output into a PA amp. Do they need to be
under software control to work, or do they default to a
"straight-through" mode with no USB connection?

The older model would, but dunno about the current one.
Did you check the documentation? PDF downloadable.
Note that the only way of powering it is via the USB port.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Richard Crowley spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote...

... like the M-Audio or the ProTools Mbox 2: does anyone know if these
can be used just as straight-through preamps? My band is considering
getting one of these for recording, where it would be used with a
computer. But I'm wondering whether, if the unit were supplied just
with power through the USB port, it could also be used as a portable
preamp/mixer, using the line output into a PA amp. Do they need to be
under software control to work, or do they default to a
"straight-through" mode with no USB connection?

The older model would, but dunno about the current one.
Did you check the documentation? PDF downloadable.
Note that the only way of powering it is via the USB port.

I could try looking at the doc, but I doubt it would cover such a
non-standard use of the unit.

I know it gets its power via USB. My brilliant idea was to bring along a
little power supply that would plug into the USB connector and power the
unit. (The plan is to use it as an auxiliary mixer with a small PA.)

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"David Nebenzahl" wrote ...
Richard Crowley spake thus:

The older model would, but dunno about the current one.
Did you check the documentation? PDF downloadable.
Note that the only way of powering it is via the USB port.

I could try looking at the doc, but I doubt it would cover such a
non-standard use of the unit.

The doc for the old one explicitly discusses your "passthrough"
type of use. Haven't looked at the new one, though.

I own one, but it is lent to a friend, so I can't just try it.
I'll leave it to you to download and read the doc if this
is important enough to you.
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Richard Crowley spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote ...

Richard Crowley spake thus:

The older model would, but dunno about the current one.
Did you check the documentation? PDF downloadable.
Note that the only way of powering it is via the USB port.

I could try looking at the doc, but I doubt it would cover such a
non-standard use of the unit.

The doc for the old one explicitly discusses your "passthrough"
type of use. Haven't looked at the new one, though.

I own one, but it is lent to a friend, so I can't just try it.
I'll leave it to you to download and read the doc if this
is important enough to you.

It *looks* as if it would function as a simple amplifier with no
interface connection, according to the manual I downloaded, but this is
by no means certain. I think I ought to call them first and make sure
before we try this. (I'd just rig up a 5 volt power supply to the USB
power and ground connections.)

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:10:59 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

I know it gets its power via USB. My brilliant idea was to bring along a
little power supply that would plug into the USB connector and power the
unit. (The plan is to use it as an auxiliary mixer with a small PA.)

You could try. But considering the price of a little Behringer
mixer.......
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Laurence Payne spake thus:

wrote:

I know it gets its power via USB. My brilliant idea was to bring along a
little power supply that would plug into the USB connector and power the
unit. (The plan is to use it as an auxiliary mixer with a small PA.)

You could try. But considering the price of a little Behringer
mixer.......

Well, so tell me about these mixers. Keep in mind that the reason we
want this device is to be able to do digital recording, including
overdubbing, punching-in, etc., so it has to be supported by some kind
of digital recording software, which is why we got the M-Audio box in
the first place. The portable, straight-through use as a mixer is just a
secondary usage.

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:32:54 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

You could try. But considering the price of a little Behringer
mixer.......

Well, so tell me about these mixers

Not much to tell. Behringer make a very affordable rage of small
mixers. Have a look.