Posted to rec.audio.tech
t-bone

Default studiomaster powerhouse 708

I turned up at gig, early for once! and set up only to find only one
speaker working, I did all the obvious swap leads change channel etc...
but it seems obvious that the left side of the amp has blown. It
couldn't have happened at a better venue as they lent me a power amp
which I used as a slave cos everything else on the mixer works. I've
been in the case to see if any obvious fuses were blown but no luck.
would it be the output transistors? how can I test this? I have a
digital multimeter, but I'm really stuffed this weekend as I have to
find a slave amp. Do you think it's worth fixing? it is a bit of a lump
to hump around if going to use it as a basic mixer and take a slave amp
to.
Please help............

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff@work

t-bone wrote:
I turned up at gig, early for once! and set up only to find only one
speaker working, I did all the obvious swap leads change channel
etc... but it seems obvious that the left side of the amp has blown.
It couldn't have happened at a better venue as they lent me a power
amp which I used as a slave cos everything else on the mixer works.
I've been in the case to see if any obvious fuses were blown but no
luck. would it be the output transistors? how can I test this? I have
a digital multimeter, but I'm really stuffed this weekend as I have to
find a slave amp. Do you think it's worth fixing? it is a bit of a
lump to hump around if going to use it as a basic mixer and take a
slave amp to.

There is a good cahnce that there is a major burnup in the power amps. I
would consider the unit a liability. If you choose to use as a mixer and
cart a separate power amp around or not is up to you.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
t-bone

thanks, there's no visual signs on the output trannies, is there an
easy way to test them with a meter?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Rick Merrill

Geoff@work wrote:
t-bone wrote:

[...]

Could be a burned lead on the circuit board - sometimes the fuzes are too slow!
If you get absolutely No Voltage it's a burned lead or fuze. If you get some
pidly voltage it could be a bad transistor.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Rick Merrill

t-bone wrote:
thanks i've replaced a fuse which was blown but channel still doesn't
work

Test for continuity from the fuse on as far as you can on the PCB (board)
because sometimes an eched run can burn out as quickly as the fuse.