ppk

Default Pop/Classical Music needs to be found

Hey,
I am actually new, so forgive me if I do something wrong or annoying.
What I am after is the following track:
"Hall of the Mountain Kings", it is soposed to be by: "Greg" but I am
not sure. I have searched endlessly on Kazaa but with no luck, and it
recommended here. Can anyone here help me, either by sending the track
or telling me of a good place to find it from. (I want it to be free,
like Kazaa)
Cheers in advance for those who can help.
james

In article ,
ppk wrote:

Hey,
I am actually new, so forgive me if I do something wrong or annoying.
What I am after is the following track:
"Hall of the Mountain Kings", it is soposed to be by: "Greg" but I am
not sure.

In the hall of the Mountain King, by Norweigan composer Edvard Grieg.
Part of a larger series of works known as "Peer Gynt Suites". It's an
orchestral suite, but Grieg also penned a duet piano arrangement.

I'd expect there would be several MIDI arrangements to choose from on
www.prs.net.

Rick Wakeman often played excerpts from Grieg, but that was partly
because he was forbidden by his label to play his own music (represented
by A&M) with his band (represented by Atlantic). Same story behind
"Cans and Brahms."

Eric K. Weber

Try...

Edvard Greig

Peer Gynt Suite

http://www.web-helper.net/PDMusic/Bi...rd/default.asp

Rgds:
Eric

Scott Dorsey

ppk wrote:
Hey,
I am actually new, so forgive me if I do something wrong or annoying.
What I am after is the following track:
"Hall of the Mountain Kings", it is soposed to be by: "Greg" but I am
not sure. I have searched endlessly on Kazaa but with no luck, and it
recommended here. Can anyone here help me, either by sending the track
or telling me of a good place to find it from. (I want it to be free,
like Kazaa)
Cheers in advance for those who can help.

It's by Edvard Grieg, and it's one of the Peer Gynt suites. The DG
recording by von Karajan is probably available at your local record
store. It's a good performance and flows well, although the recording
is horribly multimiked and artificial-sounding.

Hal Laurent

"ppk" wrote in message
om...
Hey,
I am actually new, so forgive me if I do something wrong or annoying.
What I am after is the following track:
"Hall of the Mountain Kings", it is soposed to be by: "Greg" but I am
not sure. I have searched endlessly on Kazaa but with no luck, and it
recommended here. Can anyone here help me, either by sending the track
or telling me of a good place to find it from. (I want it to be free,
like Kazaa)

You're being both wrong *and* annoying. I paid for my copy. Why
should I send you one for free?

In fact, you've annoyed me enough that I won't even correct your
spelling.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Paul Rubin

"Hal Laurent" writes:
Hey,
I am actually new, so forgive me if I do something wrong or annoying.
What I am after is the following track:
"Hall of the Mountain Kings", it is soposed to be by: "Greg" but I am
not sure. I have searched endlessly on Kazaa but with no luck, and it
recommended here. Can anyone here help me, either by sending the track
or telling me of a good place to find it from. (I want it to be free,
like Kazaa)

You're being both wrong *and* annoying. I paid for my copy. Why
should I send you one for free?

Grieg died in 1907 and all his compositions are in the public domain.
If someone wants to perform it and upload their performance to Kazaa,
why shouldn't they?
Hal Laurent

"Paul Rubin" wrote in message

Grieg died in 1907 and all his compositions are in the public domain.
If someone wants to perform it and upload their performance to Kazaa,
why shouldn't they?

Good point, Paul! Know anyone who has done so?

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Paul Rubin

"Hal Laurent" writes:
Grieg died in 1907 and all his compositions are in the public domain.
If someone wants to perform it and upload their performance to Kazaa,
why shouldn't they?

Good point, Paul! Know anyone who has done so?

I don't know, I don't use Kazaa. I do know there are any number of
bands that release their own materials for free distribution and that
includes distribution through Kazaa.

There's actually probably a number of old recordings of the Peer Gynt
suite that have entered the public domain by now, and it should be
fine to put those on Kazaa. Until 1976, copyrights lasted for 28
years and were renewable for another 28, but only about 15% of
copyrights were actually renewed. So most stuff copyrighted before
1948 is now in the public domain.
William Sommerwerck

Strictly speaking, "In the Hall of the Mountain King" is one of a series of
incidental pieces Grieg wrote for the play "Peer Gynt." (Hated doing it, but
they were among his most-successful works.) It is not "from" the suites Grieg
later assembled.

Scott Dorsey

Hal Laurent wrote:
"Paul Rubin" wrote in message

Grieg died in 1907 and all his compositions are in the public domain.
If someone wants to perform it and upload their performance to Kazaa,
why shouldn't they?

Good point, Paul! Know anyone who has done so?

I bet we could get a bongo group together to do it.

Richard Crowley

[ Grieg: In the Hall of the Mountain King from
Peer Gynt Suite No.1, Op.46]

"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
I bet we could get a bongo group together to do it.

OTOH, I've heard some intriguing arrangements of
classical music for marimba ensembles.

There are seven MIDI versions on
http://www.classicalarchives.com/main/g.html

Geoff Wood

ppk wrote:
Hey,
I am actually new, so forgive me if I do something wrong or annoying.
What I am after is the following track:
"Hall of the Mountain Kings", it is soposed to be by: "Greg" but I am
not sure. I have searched endlessly on Kazaa but with no luck, and it
recommended here. Can anyone here help me, either by sending the track
or telling me of a good place to find it from. (I want it to be free,
like Kazaa)
Cheers in advance for those who can help.

Suggest you go to your local CD store, look in the Classical section under G
for Greig. Then you can not only get the music, but have the satisfaction
of knowing that you are not a thief.

If you only want to hear what it sounds like, there is your local library.

geoff

Geoff Wood

Paul Rubin wrote:

There's actually probably a number of old recordings of the Peer Gynt
suite that have entered the public domain by now, and it should be
fine to put those on Kazaa. Until 1976, copyrights lasted for 28
years and were renewable for another 28, but only about 15% of
copyrights were actually renewed. So most stuff copyrighted before
1948 is now in the public domain.

Not performances. The intellectual rights to the composition and actual
recorded performances are completely different things.

You are suggesting that because Mr Chrysler is long dead, that it's OK to
just take any Chrysler that you find in the carpark.

geoff

Paul Rubin

"Geoff Wood" -nospam writes:
There's actually probably a number of old recordings of the Peer Gynt
suite that have entered the public domain by now, and it should be
fine to put those on Kazaa. Until 1976, copyrights lasted for 28
years and were renewable for another 28, but only about 15% of
copyrights were actually renewed. So most stuff copyrighted before
1948 is now in the public domain.

Not performances. The intellectual rights to the composition and actual
recorded performances are completely different things.

I'm not sure we're on the same page. I'm saying if somebody made a
record of the Peer Gynt suite in 1940 and chose not to renew the
copyright in 1968, that recording is now in the public domain. If you
look on ebay, there's tons of legitimate CD compilations for sale of
old radio shows like The Shadow, which entered the public domain
through basically that route.

You are suggesting that because Mr Chrysler is long dead, that it's
OK to just take any Chrysler that you find in the carpark.

A composition or a recorded performance is not a car.

ryanm

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message

Not performances. The intellectual rights to the composition and actual
recorded performances are completely different things.

You are suggesting that because Mr Chrysler is long dead, that it's OK to
just take any Chrysler that you find in the carpark.

Jesus, you people are getting obnoxious with this. Any *performance*
recorded prior to 1948 is likely to be in the public domain, and therefore
perfectly legal to share. No theft involved. There are a *lot* of works,
performances included, in the public domain now, and no matter how
matter-of-factly you state it, you can't make it illegal for them to be
shared.

ryanm

james

In article ,
Geoff Wood -nospam wrote:

You are suggesting that because Mr Chrysler is long dead, that it's OK to
just take any Chrysler that you find in the carpark.

It's okay to make a Willys, and you can even put a Willys trademark on it.
If you want to bring in a car analogy, at least use one that fits.

james

In article ,
Geoff Wood -nospam wrote:

Suggest you go to your local CD store, look in the Classical section under G
for Greig. Then you can not only get the music, but have the satisfaction
of knowing that you are not a thief.

All free music is not stolen.
Arny Krueger

"james" wrote in message
In article ,
Geoff Wood -nospam wrote:

You are suggesting that because Mr Chrysler is long dead, that it's
OK to just take any Chrysler that you find in the carpark.

It's okay to make a Willys, and you can even put a Willys trademark
on it. If you want to bring in a car analogy, at least use one that
fits.

In the same vein, I recorded a 3 an excellent 3 hour seminar about worship
music on Saturday. I asked for permission to record it, and the speaker said
record it, make as many copies as you want to, and give all them away. So,
that's what I am doing. Aren't the recordings of this seminar now in the
public domain? He wrote it, he performed it, and he put in the public
domain, right?

Richard Crowley

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
In the same vein, I recorded a 3 an excellent 3 hour seminar about worship
music on Saturday. I asked for permission to record it, and the speaker

said
record it, make as many copies as you want to, and give all them away. So,
that's what I am doing. Aren't the recordings of this seminar now in the
public domain? He wrote it, he performed it, and he put in the public
domain, right?

As long as they were his original compositions. He (and you) don't
have the right to give away performances of works whose copyrights
are held by others (unless you have THEIR permission/license).
Not clear whether CCLI covers this.

Arny Krueger

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...

In the same vein, I recorded a 3 an excellent 3 hour seminar about
worship music on Saturday. I asked for permission to record it, and
the speaker said record it, make as many copies as you want to, and
give all them away. So, that's what I am doing. Aren't the
recordings of this seminar now in the public domain? He wrote it, he
performed it, and he put in the public domain, right?

As long as they were his original compositions.

Exactly, and they were origional works.

He (and you) don't
have the right to give away performances of works whose copyrights
are held by others (unless you have THEIR permission/license).

Right. Hence Miles Fox & etc.

Not clear whether CCLI covers this.

Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Geoff Wood -nospam wrote:
Paul Rubin wrote:

There's actually probably a number of old recordings of the Peer Gynt
suite that have entered the public domain by now, and it should be
fine to put those on Kazaa. Until 1976, copyrights lasted for 28
years and were renewable for another 28, but only about 15% of
copyrights were actually renewed. So most stuff copyrighted before
1948 is now in the public domain.

Not performances. The intellectual rights to the composition and actual
recorded performances are completely different things.

For performances, I think the magic date is some time in 1928. This means
that a good reasonable rule is that if it's an acoustic recording, it's
probably PD and if it's an electric recording, it's probably not.
james

In article ,
Arny Krueger wrote:

In the same vein, I recorded a 3 an excellent 3 hour seminar about worship
music on Saturday. I asked for permission to record it, and the speaker said
record it, make as many copies as you want to, and give all them away. So,
that's what I am doing. Aren't the recordings of this seminar now in the
public domain? He wrote it, he performed it, and he put in the public
domain, right?

In the US? No. Your Congress changed the whole landscape of copyright
law. Works that used to go automatically into the public domain, no
longer do. If you mean for your work to be public, you must
*explicitly* put it there. It's not even going to automatically revert
after your death either, unless your will and/or your heirs put it
there.

Basically, there IS NO public domain anymore in the US, and there hasn't
been since WWII.

So, the speaker in your recordings has an automatic copyright on the
material, and also controls distribution. Basically you have an open
license to distribute a certain copyrighted item, but that does NOT mean
the work is in the public domain.
ScotFraser

In the US? No. Your Congress changed the whole landscape of copyright
law. Works that used to go automatically into the public domain, no
longer do.

And this was done entirely because Disney realized they were about to lose sole
ownership of Mickey Mouse as a copyrightable entity. They lobbied Congress &
Congress has more or less made copyright (& trademark) perpetually renewable.
It was the American thing to do. They had to keep Mickey out of the hands of
foreigners.

Scott Fraser
james

In article ,
ScotFraser wrote:

And this was done entirely because Disney realized they were about to lose sole
ownership of Mickey Mouse as a copyrightable entity.

Mickey shot the knees, Sonny Bono shot the chest, but the head shot was
the DMCA.

They lobbied Congress &
Congress has more or less made copyright (& trademark) perpetually renewable.

Yeah, but there is no "They" in a country where universal suffrage
exists, and especially not one where people are armed.

No, this government is an expression of the will of the people, whether
I agree with the opinion of the masses or not.

Geoff Wood

ryanm wrote:
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message

Not performances. The intellectual rights to the composition and
actual recorded performances are completely different things.

You are suggesting that because Mr Chrysler is long dead, that it's
OK to just take any Chrysler that you find in the carpark.

Jesus, you people are getting obnoxious with this. Any
*performance* recorded prior to 1948 is likely to be in the public
domain, and therefore perfectly legal to share. No theft involved.
There are a *lot* of works, performances included, in the public
domain now, and no matter how matter-of-factly you state it, you
can't make it illegal for them to be shared.

If one is putting out a request for a downloaded copy of a recording, it
would pay to stipulate that you mean one in the public domain. Otherwise
you come across like all the other music thiefs that comprise 99.999% of
RFMs.

geoff

ryanm

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

In the same vein, I recorded a 3 an excellent 3 hour seminar about worship
music on Saturday. I asked for permission to record it, and the speaker

said
record it, make as many copies as you want to, and give all them away. So,
that's what I am doing. Aren't the recordings of this seminar now in the
public domain? He wrote it, he performed it, and he put in the public
domain, right?

No, not unless he explicitly states that in writing. But he did give you
unlimited license for duplication and distribution, so you're in the clear.
Websites like gnu.org have license templates you can download, and I'm
pretty sure they have a public domain license out there. You should just
have to write in the title of the performance and have him sign and date it
to put it in the public domain. You really don't even have to file unless
someone contests it, which I can't see happening in your case. Just good to
have that piece of paper around just in case.

ryanm

Paul Rubin

"Arny Krueger" writes:
In the same vein, I recorded a 3 an excellent 3 hour seminar about worship
music on Saturday. I asked for permission to record it, and the speaker said
record it, make as many copies as you want to, and give all them away. So,
that's what I am doing. Aren't the recordings of this seminar now in the
public domain? He wrote it, he performed it, and he put in the public
domain, right?

Unless he explicitly put it in the PD, he still has the copyright and
you need his permission publish it, which he gave you. If someone
else wants to publish it, they need to ask him separately, unless the
permission that he gave extends to other people too. If he gave you
permission to "make as may copies as you want and give them away",
that would mean you have permission to hand out free copies but you
need further permission if you want to charge for the copies.

If he'd like to be more explicit about what uses he's permitting and
what he wants to reserve for himself, he might look at

http://creativecommons.org

for some suggestions and ideas.
Arny Krueger

"Paul Rubin" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" writes:
In the same vein, I recorded a 3 an excellent 3 hour seminar about
worship music on Saturday. I asked for permission to record it, and
the speaker said record it, make as many copies as you want to, and
give all them away. So, that's what I am doing. Aren't the
recordings of this seminar now in the public domain? He wrote it, he
performed it, and he put in the public domain, right?

Unless he explicitly put it in the PD, he still has the copyright and
you need his permission publish it, which he gave you. If someone
else wants to publish it, they need to ask him separately, unless the
permission that he gave extends to other people too. If he gave you
permission to "make as may copies as you want and give them away",
that would mean you have permission to hand out free copies but you
need further permission if you want to charge for the copies.

That's how I taking it.

Ryan

Suggest you go to your local CD store, look in the Classical section under G
for Greig. Then you can not only get the music, but have the satisfaction
of knowing that you are not a thief.

If you only want to hear what it sounds like, there is your local library.

geoff

Right. Classical music is ridiculously inexpensive, unless it's a new
work. I'd bet you could get a brand new copy of this on NAXOS for $6.
Maybe even for a $1 or less at half.com, if you don't mind getting a
used copy.

You didn't state why you want the piece in the first place. Do you
just want to hear it? Is it for serious study? Are you going to put
it in as the background to some sort of video you're shooting?

Regardless, it would be considered a faux paux (sp?) to ask for
something for free from people who make their livleyhood off selling
it, or through having it be sold. Would you go up to a fruit stand on
the street and ask the vendor where the guavas are, and oh yeah, you
don't wanna actually pay for one? If you ask somebody who dosen't
sell produce, you would be taking a much smaller risk of offending
somebody, and if they know where to get some for free, they might even
tell you. Don't count on that fruit stand proprietor.

Oh yeah, get a library card. Every single public library I've ever
been to in the US has at least a small CD collection, even in the most
rinky dink little town of BFE. This is a pretty well known piece and
they are likely to have a copy that you can borrow for free.
ScotFraser

They lobbied Congress &
Congress has more or less made copyright (& trademark) perpetually

renewable.

Yeah, but there is no "They" in a country where universal suffrage
exists, and especially not one where people are armed.

Uhhh, what're you smoking?

Scott Fraser
james

In article ,
ScotFraser wrote:

Yeah, but there is no "They" in a country where universal suffrage
exists, and especially not one where people are armed.

Uhhh, what're you smoking?

Until you can show me that the US government is not a representative
system that operates with the consent of the governed, I'm afraid I'll
be a loyalist and not a revolutionary.

ScotFraser

Until you can show me that the US government is not a representative
system that operates with the consent of the governed, I'm afraid I'll
be a loyalist and not a revolutionary.

OK. So, anyway, like I was saying, when Disney was about to lose Mickey Mouse
to the public domain, they lobbied Congress, with the result that copyright is
now more or less renewable perpetually.

Scott Fraser
james

In article ,
ScotFraser wrote:

OK. So, anyway, like I was saying, when Disney was about to lose Mickey Mouse
to the public domain, they lobbied Congress, with the result that copyright is
now more or less renewable perpetually.

Congress consists of a body of representatives who are elected at large.
So if the people demand a government that will respond to corporate
interests, and if they continue to adamantly support that government,
they have what they want. (You've probably already surmised that I
consider apathetic abstention to count as support.)

You want to pass the buck to Disney, or to Congress, but I don't let the
citizen off the hook so easily.

Peter Larsen

Paul Rubin wrote:

You're being both wrong *and* annoying. I paid for my copy.
Why should I send you one for free?

Grieg died in 1907 and all his compositions are in the public
domain. If someone wants to perform it and upload their
performance to Kazaa, why shouldn't they?

More genereally speaking, and that is what you comment narrowly on, most
available recordings will have lots of rights attached.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

ScotFraser

You want to pass the buck to Disney, or to Congress, but I don't let the
citizen off the hook so easily.

Actually I wasn't on a soapbox about any of this, I'm out of the OT political
posting business here these days. I was merely pointing out the impetus for
what now constitutes US copyright law, with no spin implied one way or the
other.
Scott Fraser
Peter Larsen

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Strictly speaking, "In the Hall of the Mountain King" is one
of a series of incidental pieces Grieg wrote for the play
"Peer Gynt." (Hated doing it, but they were among his most
successful works.) It is not "from" the suites Grieg
later assembled.

Have you ever heard Sæverud's (x) Peer Gynt music .... ?

(x) my apology to users of non windows machines that do not display that
name correctly, but that *is* how it is spelled.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

hank alrich

Peter Larsen wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Strictly speaking, "In the Hall of the Mountain King" is one
of a series of incidental pieces Grieg wrote for the play
"Peer Gynt." (Hated doing it, but they were among his most
successful works.) It is not "from" the suites Grieg
later assembled.

Have you ever heard Sæverud's (x) Peer Gynt music .... ?

(x) my apology to users of non windows machines that do not display that
name correctly, but that *is* how it is spelled.

It looks fine on my Mac w/MacSOUP, and OS9.2.2, but I have no idea how
to pronounce it! g

--
ha
ryanm

"hank alrich" wrote in message
Sæverud's

It looks fine on my Mac w/MacSOUP, and OS9.2.2, but I have no idea how
to pronounce it! g

Looks like "Seh-ve-rood" with a short rolled r to me... I could be
wrong.

ryanm