Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Phillipson

Default Sound Card with Ext Drive

I sound-on-board failed and I needed to add a 24-bit
sound card Creative Labs responded immediately to my
specifications, informing me that only one Sound Blaster
out of many dozens would provide 24-bit audio under
Win98SE -- the Audigy Platinum outfit with external
drive. This is no longer sold in stores but is available
(factory refurbished) on eBay.

I have downloaded the manual for this product but do
not yet understand all its ramifications. The external drive
seems used mainly for either video games or recording live
music, neither of which I do. The main question is
whether I need to instal the ext. drive (and its own
card, connected to the sound card) in order to restore
full Audio Cleaner functionality. I would guess not.

So what is the ext. drive really meant for? Studio
recording of live music?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs