Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Measuring noise along a signal path

I ordered a Jethead Phantom to see whether it would improve
the S/N used with my NT1-A's, and an M-Audio Fast Track
Ultra audio interface. I also have a 'dummy mic' as we
recently discussed, using the 150 Ohm resister soldered into
a male XLR connecter trick.

Given the dummy mic, the microphones, the interface, and
the Jethead which will arrive on Wednesday, how would you
go about deciding whether the Jethead is going to be able
to deliver clean enough gain that it surpasses and improves
my existing preamps. I know I could just listen, but it's
tough to pick out the noise in my residential bedroom from
machine noise.

How would we do this in science class?

Also, I was thinking of putting the Jethead between the mic
and cable, to avoid amplifying any noise the cable picked up
in between (yeah, balanced connection, but still).

Thanks,

Tobiah