Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] yojustin@gmail.com is offline

Default New system

I recently installed 4 new Pioneer TS-A1681R 6-1/2" 4-Way Speakers
6-1/2" Car Speakers
in my 1997 Saturn SL1 with a new Sony cd/mp3 head unit with front AV
input. Unfortunately, I did not notice hardly any change in the bass of
the system and was wondering what the next step would be that would
make the biggest difference for the cheapest price. I do not want loud
thumping bass, but just a nice, deep presence that can be felt. Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

Most aftermarket speakers won't give you any more bass (sometimes even less)
than the stock speakers. I would start by checking that the speakers are
well secured to the door and sealed somewhat front to back so that you're
not getting any cancellation. You can also try using MDF baffles to mount
them to the door, but depending on your skill level, patience, and amount of
free time you have, it may not be worth the effort.

Other than that, you might want to think about adding a subwoofer.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

The reason you don't notice any significant increase in bass is that the
speakers are not getting any more power. IMHO, the biggest problem with
practically EVERY stock stereo system (including premium Bose, Infinity,
etc.. types) is that there is not enough power. Again, IMHO, power is more
important than size or number of speakers.

I would DEFINITELY consider adding an amplifier to power your front and rear
speakers. This will have a DRAMATIC effect on your sound quality. And it's
not just about more bass and playing louder (although you will have these
things), an amplifier will give your music greater dynamics even at moderate
volume levels. This is particularly important in a car environment where
your stereo must compete with engine and road noise. With the addition of
an amplifier, you will probably hear detail in your music you had never
heard before. Lot's of power (sometimes more than you might EVER need)
means your music will never sound "constrained" as your amps will not have
to break a sweat.

The other thing people typically do after they upgrade their speakers is add
a subwoofer and subwoofer amplifier. Obviously, this will give you much
more bass. Do not make the mistake of thinking that subwoofers are only for
rap and techno fans, a subwoofer will reveal low bass in virtually ANY type
of music (classical, country, jazz, etc.). A subwoofer makes all types of
music more lifelike by adding that critical "bottom-end" that a 6.5" speaker
simply cannot reproduce at adequate volume levels.

A subwoofer will also make your other four speakers louder (with the
addition of a passive crossover on those four speakers) because they will no
longer have to reproduce low bass (which takes the most power to reproduce).

Those are typically the two things people do next after upgrading stock
speakers. In your case, I might consider first adding an amplifier to power
your four speakers and see how you like that. It WILL increase your bass
and it might be all you need. A good four channel amp with about 50-100
watts RMS per channel (times four, of course) should do nicely.

Good luck,

MOSFET

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently installed 4 new Pioneer TS-A1681R 6-1/2" 4-Way Speakers
6-1/2" Car Speakers
in my 1997 Saturn SL1 with a new Sony cd/mp3 head unit with front AV
input. Unfortunately, I did not notice hardly any change in the bass of
the system and was wondering what the next step would be that would
make the biggest difference for the cheapest price. I do not want loud
thumping bass, but just a nice, deep presence that can be felt. Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Deez Nutz Deez Nutz is offline

I agree with Mosfet. You will be toataly impressed with adding an amp.
You wont believe your ears after installing the amp. it will make
100,000,000% difference.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Deez Nutz wrote:
I agree with Mosfet. You will be toataly impressed with adding an amp.
You wont believe your ears after installing the amp. it will make
100,000,000% difference.

Now if I've told you once, I've told you a MILLION TIMES... DON'T EXAGGERATE!

But seriously folks... add a third vote to this, an amp, even a cheap one, will
make all the difference in the world over the stock power in MOST decks. (Not
advocating "cheap" amps, just saying, you don't need to spend a wad of cash to
get a noticeable improvement).

(Pity MOSFET will miss seeing me agree with him...)

rec.audio.car FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (caution, this is HUGE) MOSFET Car Audio 0 June 18th 06 05:27 AM
It's amazing what you can find when you look. Audio Opinions 76 December 3rd 05 06:33 AM
Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM