Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech

Default would you buy them

George wrote:
Hey guys, a local pawn shop has a pair of JBL E90's for sale, included with
them is a pair of E20 bookshelf speakers. The only problem is two of the
woofers are dented in,

Do you mean the round dust caps are dented on the front of each speaker
driver? If only the dust caps are dented in, don't worry about it.
They're only dust caps and don't affect the sound.

one on the E90 and one on the bookshelf's. I
contacted JBL and they said they would ship out two brand new woofers for 80
bucks. Do you think I should buy them anyway and just fix them or let them
go. The E90's go for anywhere between 250 and 400 dollars and the smaller
ones are 160 a piece, any thoughts?

I'm not familiar with these speakers. If you like 'em, buy 'em.

Also, I'm crossposting my comments to rec.audio.tech, where you might
get some technical advice.

Thanks
George

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech
George

it's the round part in the middle of the woofer, the one on the e90 is only
dented a bit but the bookshelf one is crushed completely in, the dust cap I
mean, the rest of the woofer is ok. Do you think its still a good deal? I
heard the were decent speakers, I'm mad because a week ago they were in
perfect condition and should have bought them then but didn't know how good
they were, when I found out I went back and the dustcaps were crushed in.

Thanks
George

wrote in message
oups.com...

George wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech
jakdedert

George wrote:
it's the round part in the middle of the woofer, the one on the e90 is only
dented a bit but the bookshelf one is crushed completely in, the dust cap I
mean, the rest of the woofer is ok. Do you think its still a good deal? I
heard the were decent speakers, I'm mad because a week ago they were in
perfect condition and should have bought them then but didn't know how good
they were, when I found out I went back and the dustcaps were crushed in.

If they work, they work. If the cap is smashed enough to distort the
voice coil, you could have an issue; but testing will indicate whether
this is so....

jak

Thanks
George

wrote in message
oups.com...
George wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech

jakdedert wrote:
George wrote:
it's the round part in the middle of the woofer, the one on the e90 is only
dented a bit but the bookshelf one is crushed completely in, the dust cap I
mean, the rest of the woofer is ok. Do you think its still a good deal? I
heard the were decent speakers, I'm mad because a week ago they were in
perfect condition and should have bought them then but didn't know how good
they were, when I found out I went back and the dustcaps were crushed in.

If they work, they work. If the cap is smashed enough to distort the
voice coil, you could have an issue; but testing will indicate whether
this is so....

BTW, it's possible to fix pushed-in dust caps. There's a trick
involving making a small hole in the dust cap, then pulling the dust
cap toward the front of the speaker. I haven't done this.

By searching the web and newsgroups, you could probably find
instructions for pulling the dust caps outward so that they're not
pushed in.

Another BTW: The reason dust caps are so easy to push in is that
there's a vacuum inside the dust cap.

OTOH, this sort of thing like pushed-in dust caps may really bother
you. If you buy the speakers with the pushed-in dust caps, will you
really be happy? Life's too short to be unhappy and there are about a
zillion other speakers you could buy instead. Will repairing the
speakers make you happy?

And keep in mind that almost anything you can find in pawn shop will
probably also be found on eBay. (Actually, a lot of pawn shops sell
through eBay.) Anyway, you might want to search eBay now and see if you
can get the same speakers there, but w/o the pushed-in dust caps.

jak

Thanks
George

wrote in message
oups.com...
George wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

wrote in message
oups.com...

jakdedert wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
George wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

neilnewsgroups wrote ...
Another BTW: The reason dust caps are so easy to push
in is that there's a vacuum inside the dust cap.

The reason dust caps are so easy to push in is that they
are made of very thin metal foil. There is only atmospheric
pressure on both sides of the cap. Look at any cross-section
of a conventional cone speaker to see that there are no
"sealed" areas.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech
combssl

Richard Crowley wrote:

neilnewsgroups wrote ...
Another BTW: The reason dust caps are so easy to push
in is that there's a vacuum inside the dust cap.

The reason dust caps are so easy to push in is that they
are made of very thin metal foil. There is only atmospheric
pressure on both sides of the cap. Look at any cross-section
of a conventional cone speaker to see that there are no
"sealed" areas.

Some are paper, felt or plastic, it depends on the speaker.

One trick is using painters tape (like masking tape but not as sticky)
to pull out the dents, another is using a vacuum nozzle
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech
Bret Ludwig

I never buy anything from pawnbrokerages. I consider them a blight on
society in general.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech
jakdedert

Bret Ludwig wrote:
I never buy anything from pawnbrokerages. I consider them a blight on
society in general.

They are nearly the first place I turn when looking for new (old) gear.
Just today I bought a pair of mint EV ND767's for around $100.

jak