Posted to rec.audio.tech
tugboat

Default bose, polk, denon, onkyo, yamaha-its all greek to me

A friend just gave me a pair of bose 901's w/ the eq and an old onkyo
a-8019 integrated amp. I would like to use these speakers as the front
speakers in my surround system. My receiver is a yamaha htr-5860. Is
this receiver strong enough to drive the 901's? Should I use the amp?
How do I hook it up? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias

"tugboat" wrote in message
ups.com...
A friend just gave me a pair of bose 901's w/ the eq and an old onkyo
a-8019 integrated amp. I would like to use these speakers as the front
speakers in my surround system. My receiver is a yamaha htr-5860. Is
this receiver strong enough to drive the 901's? Should I use the amp?
How do I hook it up? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't think you can use the EQ through the tape monitor on the Yamaha
while listening to digital sources (DVD's etc using the Yamaha's built-in
decoder). Digital sources cannot be had through the tape monitor outputs, so
of course cannot be looped back in there either.
I don't see any way around this.

The Onkyo is a nice integrated amp, and would certainly be adequate to drive
the Bose speakers, but due to it's age may need controls cleaned otherwise
you may well have one or both channels scratchy or cutting out on various
inputs or using various controls, like the volume, balance, selectors, etc.

The speakers could also be showing their age, with foam surrounds
deteriorated, but there's no ready way to check this, so far as I know,
without removing the grilles. Suffice to say that if the sound bad (raspy
and/or badly distorted) the speakers may have this problem.

The Onkyo would hook up normally, with whatever sources (DVD, Phono. tuner,
etc) hooked to the input side, and speakers connected normally to the
speaker terminals.

As I said, I don't think you can really use the Bose speakers with the
Yamaha and still listen to digital input sources. You could just use them in
analog stereo mode, maybe even using Dolby Pro-Logic for surround mode
(using an analog output of your DVD player to the analog DVD input of the
receiver).

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

I have a speaker problem in that one speaker does not start until you
blast that channel how do you clean the control