Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Dargenio Ron Dargenio is offline

Default electret mics and phantom power

I have a Sony ECM 999pR electret mic; I have used this for home
recording with a DAT recorder.
Would it be safe to use this mic with a recorder that has phantom
power without damaging the mic? The mic normally uses one AA battery
to power it. Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 6, 11:22 pm, "Ron Dargenio" wrote:
I have a Sony ECM 999pR electret mic;
Would it be safe to use this mic with a recorder that has phantom
power without damaging the mic?

If it has two XLR connectors it's probably safe to use with phantom
power. If it has a stereo phone plug or mini phone plug, you'll need
to turn off the phantom power.

What recorder do you have that has mic inputs, phantom power, and
doesn't let you turn off the phantom power? Just curious.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 7, 7:34?am, "Mike Rivers" wrote:
On Mar 6, 11:22 pm, "Ron Dargenio" wrote:

I have a Sony ECM 999pR electret mic;
Would it be safe to use this mic with a recorder that has phantom
power without damaging the mic?

If it has two XLR connectors it's probably safe to use with phantom
power. If it has a stereo phone plug or mini phone plug, you'll need
to turn off the phantom power.

What recorder do you have that has mic inputs, phantom power, and
doesn't let you turn off the phantom power? Just curious.

Mike, thanks for the reply...I am possibly being given access to a
recorder to use and due to my lack of fimiliarity with the machine and
the issue, I wanted to be careful about potential damage to my mic. I
am positive that the recorder has twin XLRs but was not aware of the
ability to switch PPower on/off (I am pretty much of a novice as you
can tell).
Ron

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 7, 8:06 am, "Ron Dargenio" wrote:

I wanted to be careful about potential damage to my mic. I
am positive that the recorder has twin XLRs but was not aware of the
ability to switch PPower on/off

You know, it's OK to mention the make and model of the recorder here.
Somebody, maybe even me, might be familiar with you and can ease your
mind.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Ron Dargenio wrote:
I have a Sony ECM 999pR electret mic; I have used this for home
recording with a DAT recorder.
Would it be safe to use this mic with a recorder that has phantom
power without damaging the mic? The mic normally uses one AA battery
to power it. Thanks.

That's the entry-level M-S mike with the 1/8" plug on it? How are you
proposing to plug that into a balanced input? The answer to that question
basically tells you whether it's safe or not.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 7, 9:00�am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Ron Dargenio wrote:
I have a Sony ECM 999pR electret mic; I have used this for home
recording with a DAT recorder.
Would it be safe to use this mic with a recorder that has phantom
power without damaging the mic? The mic normally uses one AA battery
to power it. Thanks.

That's the entry-level M-S mike with the 1/8" plug on it? *How are you
proposing to plug that into a balanced input? *The answer to that question
basically tells you whether it's safe or not.

"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

No, it's not an entry level mike, it's actually quite a nice
one....with a 5-pin connector. I have an adaptive cord that splits
into 2 XLR connectors. I believe that the machine would either be a
Roland
CDX-1 or a Fostex MR8 with 48V Phantom, whichever one a friend of mine
is able to get access to.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 7, 10:51 am, "Ron Dargenio" wrote:

I believe that the machine would either be a
Roland
CDX-1 or a Fostex MR8 with 48V Phantom, whichever one a friend of mine
is able to get access to.

OK. Those are really "workstations" rather than recorders. The Roland
is kind of sketchy as to available on-line documentation, but I
suspect that it's pretty similar to the Fostex. You won't find a
Phantom Power button on the Fostex but you can turn it on or off from
a menu. The Roland is probably the same. Just be sure you get the
manual or have enough time to find the right menu.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Ron Dargenio" wrote ...
I have a Sony ECM 999pR electret mic; I have used this for home
recording with a DAT recorder.
Would it be safe to use this mic with a recorder that has phantom
power without damaging the mic? The mic normally uses one AA battery
to power it. Thanks.

Can you turn the phantom power off?
What voltage is this phantom power?
What recorder are you talking about?

Power Mini Electret with Phantom Polar Pro Audio 2 December 5th 05 12:04 AM
Old Recording Made with Electret Condenser Mics Sounds Nearly as Good as State of Art Current Digital Recordings?!! Mark & Mary Ann Weiss Pro Audio 32 February 15th 05 01:42 AM
Phantom Power Filtering (removal of phantom power)... Chris Breitner Tech 63 July 2nd 04 01:40 PM
Phantom Power Filtering (removal of phantom power)... Chris Breitner Pro Audio 27 July 2nd 04 01:40 PM
Can you run Phantom Power to non-condenser mics? Ray B. Pro Audio 24 December 9th 03 06:50 PM