Posted to rec.audio.pro
jeffontheleft jeffontheleft is offline

Default Spectra Sonics 610 Complimiter?

Anyone ever tried these? There's one for sale locally and I don't
know anything about it. What I gleaned from the spec sheet was pretty
impressive, how do they sound? Are they comparable to any of the more
well-known compressors in terms of color (or lack thereof)?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RDOGuy RDOGuy is offline

On Apr 24, 4:34 pm, jeffontheleft wrote:

Anyone ever tried these? There's one for sale locally and I don't
know anything about it. What I gleaned from the spec sheet was pretty
impressive, how do they sound? Are they comparable to any of the more
well-known compressors in terms of color (or lack thereof)?

One thing's for sure... they are still worth quite a bit of money!

I had three of them at one time, but sold them at various points along
the way. They're a little odd, but pretty cool. You can set them up
for simultaneous compression and limiting; there's a very fast peak
limiter that operates when the signal reaches a certain level, and the
limiter operates independently of whatever compression you've dialed
in.

I've heard people describe their sound as "funky," but I always
thought they sounded pretty transparent... kind of like the
compression and limitng you get in the digital domain. I've often
wondered if people thought they sounded funky because they're counter-
intuitive; as I remember, some of the controls are backward when
compared to most compressors.

I also think there are a lot of people who believe they are tube
units, but they're not. (Anyway... when I sold my last one on eBay I
got a lot of questions from people who wanted to know what kind of
tubes were in them!)

John Dixon
Phonogenic Productions
Kansas City

Spectra Sonics console Thirdstage Tech 0 January 24th 06 02:54 AM
Spectra Sonics console Thirdstage Pro Audio 0 January 24th 06 02:46 AM
FS: Spectra Sonics 610 Complimiter s Tech 1 January 5th 06 01:43 PM
FS: Spectra Sonics 610 complimiter s Pro Audio 0 December 1st 03 05:43 AM
FS: Sepctra Sonics 610 Complimiter s Marketplace 0 December 1st 03 05:37 AM