Arny Krueger

Default Counterpoint - Examples of technically-competent appearing small loudspeaker projects on the web.

There's been so much discussion of a technically-incompetent small
loudspeaker design on RAO lately, I thought it might be helpful to post some
examples of loudspeaker projects that appear to be competently designed:

http://www.geocities.com/john_wr2000/mini2/mini2.htm

http://www.kaiaudio.com/diy2001/kaiopen.html

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/builtown.htm

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/labsp/

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/conte...page_4.php#TOP

Michael Mckelvy

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
There's been so much discussion of a technically-incompetent small
loudspeaker design on RAO lately, I thought it might be helpful to post

some
examples of loudspeaker projects that appear to be competently designed:

http://www.geocities.com/john_wr2000/mini2/mini2.htm

http://www.kaiaudio.com/diy2001/kaiopen.html

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/builtown.htm

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/labsp/

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/conte...page_4.php#TOP

The M2, the Linkwitz project and the Vifa M-T-M all all wonderful examples
of what can be done with some work and adherence to sound scientific
priniples of speaker system design.

There are a couple projects by Stig Erik Tangen that I've run across that
are also worthy of attention for those who might wish to try their hand at a
DIY project.

Robert Morein

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
There's been so much discussion of a technically-incompetent small
loudspeaker design on RAO lately, I thought it might be helpful to post

some
examples of loudspeaker projects that appear to be competently designed:

http://www.geocities.com/john_wr2000/mini2/mini2.htm

http://www.kaiaudio.com/diy2001/kaiopen.html

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/builtown.htm

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/labsp/

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/conte...page_4.php#TOP

These guys deserve the highest accolades.

If the economics weren't so bad, some of these designs would be an important
addition to the existing choices.

Sylvan Morein DDS, sad father of Bob

On 13/10/03 3:06 PM, in article , "Robert
Morein" wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
There's been so much discussion of a technically-incompetent small
loudspeaker design on RAO lately, I thought it might be helpful to post

some
examples of loudspeaker projects that appear to be competently designed:

http://www.geocities.com/john_wr2000/mini2/mini2.htm

http://www.kaiaudio.com/diy2001/kaiopen.html

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/builtown.htm

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/labsp/

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/conte...page_4.php#TOP

These guys deserve the highest accolades.

If the economics weren't so bad, some of these designs would be an important
addition to the existing choices.

If my loser son had any clue about "bad economics", he wouldn't have had me
paying for over twenty years at three different universities and a lawsuit,
which resulted in ZERO degree or career.

Sylvan Morein, DDS

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/l...ws/4853918.htm

Doctoral student takes intellectual property case to Supreme Court
By L. STUART DITZEN
Philadelphia Inquirer

PHILADELPHIA -Even the professors who dismissed him from a doctoral program
at Drexel University agreed that Robert Morein was uncommonly smart.

They apparently didn't realize that he was uncommonly stubborn too - so much
so that he would mount a court fight all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court
to challenge his dismissal.

The Supremes have already rejected this appeal, btw.

"It's a personality trait I have - I'm a tenacious guy," said Morein, a
pleasantly eccentric man regarded by friends as an inventive genius. "And we
do come to a larger issue here."

An "inventive genius" that has never invented anything. And hardly
"pleasantly" eccentric.

A five-year legal battle between this unusual ex-student and one of
Philadelphia's premier educational institutions has gone largely unnoticed
by the media and the public.

Because no one gives a **** about a 50 year old loser.

But it has been the subject of much attention in academia.

Drexel says it dismissed Morein in 1995 because he failed, after eight
years, to complete a thesis required for a doctorate in electrical and
computer engineering.

Not to mention the 12 years it took him to get thru high school!
BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Morein, 50, of Dresher, Pa., contends that he was dismissed only after his
thesis adviser "appropriated" an innovative idea Morein had developed in a
rarefied area of thought called "estimation theory" and arranged to have it
patented.

A contention rejected by three courts. From a 50 YEAR OLD that has
done NOTHING PRODUCTIVE with his life.

In February 2000, Philadelphia Common Pleas Court Judge Esther R. Sylvester
ruled that Morein's adviser indeed had taken his idea.

An idea that was worth nothing, because it didn't work. Just like
Robert Morein, who has never worked a day in his life.

Sylvester held that Morein had been unjustly dismissed and she ordered
Drexel to reinstate him or refund his tuition.

Funnily enough, Drexel AGREED to reinstate Morein, who rejected the
offer because he knew he was and IS a failed loser. Spending daddy's
money to cover up his lack of productivity.

That brought roars of protest from the lions of academia. There is a long
tradition in America of noninterference by the courts in academic decisions.

Backed by every major university in Pennsylvania and organizations
representing thousands of others around the country, Drexel appealed to the
state Superior Court.

The appellate court, by a 2-1 vote, reversed Sylvester in June 2001 and
restored the status quo. Morein was, once again, out at Drexel. And the
time-honored axiom that courts ought to keep their noses out of academic
affairs was reasserted.

The state Supreme Court declined to review the case and, in an ordinary
litigation, that would have been the end of it.

But Morein, in a quixotic gesture that goes steeply against the odds, has
asked the highest court in the land to give him a hearing.

Daddy throws more money down the crapper.

His attorney, Faye Riva Cohen, said the Supreme Court appeal is important
even if it fails because it raises the issue of whether a university has a
right to lay claim to a student's ideas - or intellectual property - without
compensation.

"Any time you are in a Ph.D. program, you are a serf, you are a slave," said
Cohen. Morein "is concerned not only for himself. He feels that what
happened to him is pretty common."

It's called HIGHER EDUCATION, honey. The students aren't in charge,
the UNIVERSITY and PROFESSORS are.

Drexel's attorney, Neil J. Hamburg, called Morein's appeal - and his claim
that his idea was stolen - "preposterous."

"I will eat my shoe if the Supreme Court hears this case," declared Hamburg.
"We're not even going to file a response. He is a brilliant guy, but his
intelligence should be used for the advancement of society rather than
pursuing self-destructive litigation."

No **** sherlock.

The litigation began in 1997, when Morein sued Drexel claiming that a
committee of professors had dumped him after he accused his faculty adviser,
Paul Kalata, of appropriating his idea.

His concept was considered to have potential value for businesses in
minutely measuring the internal functions of machines, industrial processes
and electronic systems.

The field of "estimation theory" is one in which scientists attempt to
calculate what they cannot plainly observe, such as the inside workings of a
nuclear plant or a computer.

My estimation theory? There is NO brain at work inside the head of
Robert Morein, only sawdust.

Prior to Morein's dismissal, Drexel looked into his complaint against Kalata
and concluded that the associate professor had done nothing wrong. Kalata,
through a university lawyer, declined to comment.

At a nonjury trial before Sylvester in 1999, Morein testified that Kalata in
1990 had posed a technical problem for him to study for his thesis. It
related to estimation theory.

Kalata, who did not appear at the trial, said in a 1998 deposition that a
Cherry Hill company for which he was a paid consultant, K-Tron
International, had asked him to develop an alternate estimation method for
it. The company manufactures bulk material feeders and conveyors used in
industrial processes.

Morein testified that, after much study, he experienced "a flash of
inspiration" and came up with a novel mathematical concept to address the
problem Kalata had presented.

Without his knowledge, Morein said, Kalata shared the idea with K-Tron.

K-Tron then applied for a patent, listing Kalata and Morein as co-inventors.

Morein said he agreed "under duress" to the arrangement, but felt "locked
into a highly disadvantageous situation." As a result, he testified, he
became alienated from Kalata.

As events unfolded, Kalata signed over his interest in the patent to K-Tron.
The company never capitalized on the technology and eventually allowed the
patent to lapse. No one made any money from it.

Because it was bogus. Even Kalata was mortified that he was a victim
of this SCAMSTER, Robert Morein.

In 1991, Morein went to the head of Drexel's electrical engineering
department, accused Kalata of appropriating his intellectual property, and
asked for a new faculty adviser.

The staff at Drexel laughed wildly at the ignorance of Robert Morein.

He didn't get one. Instead, a committee of four professors, including
Kalata, was formed to oversee Morein's thesis work.

Four years later, the committee dismissed him, saying he had failed to
complete his thesis.

So Morein ****s up his first couple years, gets new faculty advisers
(a TEAM), and then ****s up again! Brilliant!

Morein claimed that the committee intentionally had undermined him.

Morein makes LOTS of claims that are nonsense. One look thru the
usenet proves it.

Judge Sylvester agreed. In her ruling, Sylvester wrote: "It is this court's
opinion that the defendants were motivated by bad faith and ill will."

So much for political machine judges.

The U.S. Supreme Court receives 7,000 appeals a year and agrees to hear only
about 100 of them.

Hamburg, Drexel's attorney, is betting the high court will reject Morein's
appeal out of hand because its focal point - concerning a student's right to
intellectual property - was not central to the litigation in the
Pennsylvania courts.

Morein said he understands it's a long shot, but he feels he must pursue it.

Just like all the failed "causes" Morein pursues. Heck, he's been
chasing another "Brian McCarty" for years and yet has ZERO impact on
anything.

Failure. Look it up in Websters. You'll see a picture of Robert
Morein. The poster boy for SCAMMING LOSERS.

"I had to seek closure," he said.

Without a doctorate, he said, he has been unable to pursue a career he had
hoped would lead him into research on artificial intelligence.

Who better to tell us about "artificial intelligence".
BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

As it is, Morein lives at home with his father and makes a modest income
from stock investments. He has written a film script that he is trying to
make into a movie. And in the basement of his father's home he is working on
an invention, an industrial pump so powerful it could cut steel with a
bulletlike stream of water.

FAILED STUDENT
FAILED MOVIE MAKER
FAILED SCREENWRITER
FAILED INVESTOR
FAILED DRIVER
FAILED SON
FAILED PARENTS
FAILED INVENTOR
FAILED PLAINTIFF
FAILED HOMOSEXUAL
FAILED HUMAN
FAILED
FAILED

But none of it is what he had imagined for himself.

"I don't really have a replacement career," Morein said. "It's a very
gnawing thing."

Lionel

Robert Morein wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

There's been so much discussion of a technically-incompetent small
loudspeaker design on RAO lately, I thought it might be helpful to post

some

examples of loudspeaker projects that appear to be competently designed:

http://www.geocities.com/john_wr2000/mini2/mini2.htm

http://www.kaiaudio.com/diy2001/kaiopen.html

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/builtown.htm

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/labsp/

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/conte...page_4.php#TOP

These guys deserve the highest accolades.

If the economics weren't so bad, some of these designs would be an important
addition to the existing choices.

Most of them do that for free, just for the fun... A little bit like in
software writing.
I know you don't read french but let's have a look to this, it's also
free ;-) :
http://www.brouchier.com/livre/livre/

Lionel

Vexed ?

Joseph Oberlander

Robert Morein wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

There's been so much discussion of a technically-incompetent small
loudspeaker design on RAO lately, I thought it might be helpful to post

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/labsp/

If the economics weren't so bad, some of these designs would be an important
addition to the existing choices.

This one design I left in above looks promising, though I like sealed
box designs better myself.

I was reading articles on other pages and ran across an article stating
that it was possible to design a speaker with no crossover required.

I always thought you had to use a crossever to get the best results?

Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
news
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

There's been so much discussion of a technically-incompetent small
loudspeaker design on RAO lately, I thought it might be helpful to
post some examples of loudspeaker projects that appear to be
competently designed:

http://www.geocities.com/john_wr2000/mini2/mini2.htm

http://www.kaiaudio.com/diy2001/kaiopen.html

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/builtown.htm

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/labsp/

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/conte...page_4.php#TOP

These guys deserve the highest accolades.

If the economics weren't so bad, some of these designs would be an
important addition to the existing choices.

Agreed. You could subtitle most of these web sites something like: "How I
built $300 a pair speakers with lots of work, a goodly investment in R&D
tools, and about $300 worth of materials. Hey, they obviously had fun doing
it and got a lot of satisfaction from the exercise.

Robert Morein

"Lionel" wrote in message
Sylvan Morein DDS, sad father of Bob wrote:

Vexed ?

Brian is vexed because of http://www.worldjazz.tv

which is going to take his worldjazz down the tubes.

Robert Morein

"Lionel" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

[...]

I recognize the material, but what is the document? A textbook, or
do-it-yourself guide?

Arny Krueger

"Lionel" wrote in message

Robert Morein wrote:

[...]

I suspect that even if he read French, all of "Un peu de Mathématiques pour
commencer " would be like Greek to Singh. Ditto for the rest of it!

Lionel

Robert Morein wrote:

"Lionel" wrote in message

Sylvan Morein DDS, sad father of Bob wrote:

Vexed ?

Brian is vexed because of http://www.worldjazz.tv

which is going to take his worldjazz down the tubes.

Is he a real jazz lover or only a money maker ?

dave weil

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 01:06:34 -0400, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
There's been so much discussion of a technically-incompetent small
loudspeaker design on RAO lately, I thought it might be helpful to post

some
examples of loudspeaker projects that appear to be competently designed:

http://www.geocities.com/john_wr2000/mini2/mini2.htm

http://www.kaiaudio.com/diy2001/kaiopen.html

I think that the interesting thing about this is that he has
measurements showing a change in measured performance after break-in
of drivers. There are some around here who claim that it's only a case
of "user break-in".

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/builtown.htm

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/labsp/

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/conte...page_4.php#TOP

These guys deserve the highest accolades.

If the economics weren't so bad, some of these designs would be an important
addition to the existing choices.

dave weil

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:49:15 GMT, Joseph Oberlander
wrote:

Robert Morein wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

There's been so much discussion of a technically-incompetent small
loudspeaker design on RAO lately, I thought it might be helpful to post

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/labsp/

If the economics weren't so bad, some of these designs would be an important
addition to the existing choices.

This one design I left in above looks promising, though I like sealed
box designs better myself.

I was reading articles on other pages and ran across an article stating
that it was possible to design a speaker with no crossover required.

AR did this with their 2 way Spirit system, IIRC.

I always thought you had to use a crossever to get the best results?

Well, that's a different matter entirely.

Arny Krueger

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in message
ink.net
Robert Morein wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

There's been so much discussion of a technically-incompetent small
loudspeaker design on RAO lately, I thought it might be helpful to
post

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/labsp/

If the economics weren't so bad, some of these designs would be an
important addition to the existing choices.

This one design I left in above looks promising, though I like sealed
box designs better myself.

I was reading articles on other pages and ran across an article
stating that it was possible to design a speaker with no crossover
required.

I always thought you had to use a crossover to get the best results?

As a rule you do, but there are a number of end-runs.

(1) Use a lot of really tiny speakers that can act as tweeters, but when
massed, have possibly useful low frequency response. Ironically done right,
you end up with frequency-sensitive networks in the system design, but they
aren't exactly crossovers.

(2) Use speaker driver(s) that are effectively dual mode. Mode one is
piston mode. Small drivers can work this way up to a couple of KHz. Mode two
is "break up" mode. In break-up mode only small portions of the diaphragm
radiate the highs. Think of the time-dishonored "whizzer cone" as an
example of cone break-up implemented with a big figurative hammer. One tough
trick is getting full-range response because even in break-up mode, most
drivers want to roll-off above 10-12 KHz. Another tough trick is getting
smooth response through the transition region. For these reasons, you again
often end up with frequency-sensitive networks in the system design, but
they aren't exactly crossovers.

(3) Use drivers whose acoustical response just naturally rolls-off to
perform the function of crossovers. Easier to do with woofers than tweeters.

(4) Use a driver that can actually naturally seem to be able to cover the
full audio range. Ironically, the best examples of these often end up having
woofers or tweeters added to them at a future point in their development.
They again often end up with frequency-sensitive networks in their system
design, but again these networks aren't exactly crossovers.

Joseph Oberlander

Arny Krueger wrote:

(3) Use drivers whose acoustical response just naturally rolls-off to
perform the function of crossovers. Easier to do with woofers than tweeters.

This seems like it might be possible. I notice a lot of good woofers
out there as well. Tweeters - tougher of course. Few really seem to be
suited for this.

Idea: what about no internal crossover, but some sort of choke/limiter(maybe
active?) that cuts off the speaker signal? Maybe attached to the tweeter
itself? ie - it just ignores signals below a certain point like how
the subsonic filter on my amp does.

(4) Use a driver that can actually naturally seem to be able to cover the
full audio range. Ironically, the best examples of these often end up having
woofers or tweeters added to them at a future point in their development.
They again often end up with frequency-sensitive networks in their system
design, but again these networks aren't exactly crossovers.

I looked and found a couple of examples of this, but 16Khz was the best
I could find. I was initially looking to see if they made tweeters
larger than 1.25 inches, or cone types and ran across a few 3-4 inch
speakers that were pretty close to full-range, but not quite.

Robert Morein

"Lionel" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

"Lionel" wrote in message

Sylvan Morein DDS, sad father of Bob wrote:

Vexed ?

Brian is vexed because of http://www.worldjazz.tv

which is going to take his worldjazz down the tubes.

Is he a real jazz lover or only a money maker ?

I think he does love jazz. In his youth, he played musical instruments.
It's tragic he has gone over to the dark side.
He has become a very evil person, but he is not a successful scammer.
The spotlight has been on him so long, he is extremely noisy, and his
disguises are very thin.

Robert Morein

wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
There's been so much discussion of a technically-incompetent small
loudspeaker design on RAO lately, I thought it might be helpful to post

some
examples of loudspeaker projects that appear to be competently

designed:

http://www.geocities.com/john_wr2000/mini2/mini2.htm

http://www.kaiaudio.com/diy2001/kaiopen.html

I think that the interesting thing about this is that he has
measurements showing a change in measured performance after break-in
of drivers. There are some around here who claim that it's only a case
of "user break-in".

As far as I know, it's an accepted requirement that in order to measure
stable T-S parameters for a woofer, the woofer must be broken in first.

As far as breaking in a tweeter, "microfriction" is a concern in the design
of modern mid frequency drivers. It's now believed by many that the
surrounds have friction properties as well as those characterized by loss.
In other words, the driver can stick microscopically as the cone moves.
Proper choice of surround and suspension materials minimizes microfriction.
Here as well, breakin may be useful.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/builtown.htm

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/labsp/

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/conte...page_4.php#TOP

These guys deserve the highest accolades.

If the economics weren't so bad, some of these designs would be an

important
addition to the existing choices.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
There's been so much discussion of a technically-incompetent small
loudspeaker design on RAO lately, I thought it might be helpful to
post some examples of loudspeaker projects that appear to be
competently

designed:

http://www.geocities.com/john_wr2000/mini2/mini2.htm

http://www.kaiaudio.com/diy2001/kaiopen.html

I think that the interesting thing about this is that he has
measurements showing a change in measured performance after break-in
of drivers. There are some around here who claim that it's only a
case of "user break-in".

As far as I know, it's an accepted requirement that in order to
measure stable T-S parameters for a woofer, the woofer must be broken
in first.

The usual mistatements about other people's position noted.

There's no doubt that drivers change their technical properties in extended
storage, and that those properties change again when the driver is re-used.
The controversy is over how long it takes to properly break-in a driver. The
usual technical answer is "a minute or less of heavy use".

http://www.kaiaudio.com/diy2001/kaiopen.html

fails to address the situation by failing to show results for a brief
break-in. However the stated "several hours" is brief by the standard of
most break-in anecdotes, which generally mention running the equipment for
days.

As far as breaking in a tweeter, "microfriction" is a concern in the
design of modern mid frequency drivers. It's now believed by many
that the surrounds have friction properties as well as those
characterized by loss. In other words, the driver can stick
microscopically as the cone moves. Proper choice of surround and
suspension materials minimizes microfriction. Here as well, breakin
may be useful.

Interestingly enough searching google for microfriction & speaker as well as
microfriction & tweeter comes up empty.

Microfriction is usually associated with sliding supports which speakers
generally don't have.

Robert Morein

wrote:

[...]

I concur with a period of several hours. That is sufficient to mechanically
alter the surround material.

As far as breaking in a tweeter, "microfriction" is a concern in the
design of modern mid frequency drivers. It's now believed by many
that the surrounds have friction properties as well as those
characterized by loss. In other words, the driver can stick
microscopically as the cone moves. Proper choice of surround and
suspension materials minimizes microfriction. Here as well, breakin
may be useful.

Interestingly enough searching google for microfriction & speaker as well

as
microfriction & tweeter comes up empty.

Microfriction is usually associated with sliding supports which speakers
generally don't have.

I did the Google search, and obtained the same result.
My information is a stated concern of KEF, who have done proprietary
research.