Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

Default Amazement

Had an interesting experience this last week.

I am actively involved in a local political campaign, and held a meeting at
my house last week. Several folks commented on my audio system, and after
the meeting several asked if they could hear it. So I put the Beatles
"Love" album on, in all it's multichannel glory. Jaws dropped, but the
audition was very brief, and we had no time to talk afterward. Later during
the week one of the listeners, a young man in his late '20's/early '30's
took me aside and said by a wide margin that was the best reproduced music
he had ever heard.

Now the interesting thing is....this guy is very bright, college educated,
grew up in one of Connecticut's wealthy shoreline communities, is a
classical music buff, is fully IPhone'd and totally conversant and involved
in today's technology. Yet he had NEVER IN HIS LIFE heard a really good
audio system or even knew they existed. This tended to confirm my suspicion
that here in the USofA we don't sell more good audio because folks simply
don't know about of its existence. Thanks to our dumbed-down society and
the dominance of the big-box stores. Oh, to live in Britain!

How far we have fallen as a musically-literate society.

--
Harry Lavo
Holyoke, MA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

On May 14, 12:07*pm, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

How far we have fallen as a musically-literate society.

"Music literacy" is not enshrined in a particular
technology, vintage, modern or otherwise.

I find it far more significant that if you had played
Couperin, Buxtehude, Katchaturian, Du Pre,
Hindemith, Shostakovich or Jan Pieterszoon
Sweelink on ANYTHING, including their I-pod,
you would have been met, instead, with yawns
or blank stares.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On May 14, 12:07*pm, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

*Thanks to our dumbed-down society and
the dominance of the big-box stores. *Oh, to live in Britain!

How far we have fallen as a musically-literate society.

I pretty much have this sort of experience every time a stranger (to
the house) visits. And I have maintained for years that that amorphous
entity called "the electronics industry" has brainwashed the general
public to believe that what comes from a 3" box or via ear-buds is
"great sound". The entire W*v* R*d** industry is founded on this
premise.

Just as a giggle, the a few weeks ago, I purchased an Advent 500 via
the auction venue. If you do not remember, it is Advent's digital
delay system that sold for something on the order of $500 when-new and
lasted perhaps 2 years in the market before it was withdrawn more-or-
less in disgrace. It is a hoot. Not terribly "hi-fi" or terribly
musical, but being able to go from Yankee Stadium to a phone booth is
great good fun as these things go. Yes, I do know to reverse the phase
on the rear speakers. But if the overall quality of the sound is not
enough, kicking in the delay system drops a few jaws.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dave Dave is offline

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I had a similar experience recently. I had some houseguests, a friend
of my wife and her fiance, who were in town for a wedding. I really hit it
off with Jim, and after dinner one evening my wife and I and our two guests
retired to the livingroom with another bottle of wine. My guests were
smokers, and while they were out on the back deck indulging their habit, I
quietly moved my Magnepans about 5' out from the wall (I have small children
and a non-musically-inclined spouse... the fact that the Maggies are allowed
to STAY in the livingroom at all I consider a victory) and set them up in
front of the couch. My guests returned and I threw on Yo Yo Ma playing
Bach's Cello Suites. It took a couple of minutes... 2, 3, 5? during which
we talked less and listened more. Finally Jim's wife commented "this is
incredible"... referring to the music. They're my age (41) and had honestly
never in their entire lives heard anything that APPROACHED high fidelity.
At first Jim tried to tell me about his great computer speakers but the
longer we sat there the less he had to say about them. And these are both
well-educated, techno-savvy folks (thrifty too... why buy a dedicated stereo
when the computer can do the whole job?) The next morning he remarked "Dave,
I think last night is going to cost me quite a bit of money".

But that story... it's representative of society. My own siblings and I
grew up in a house filled with music. My brother and I built a Scott LK-72
tube amp and FM tuner from kits with our Dad. My parents loved music, they
had hundreds of albums. Throughout high school and college we all had our
"killer stereos" and even more hundreds of albums. This winter I did a
whirlwind tour of relatives. My older sister in Denver? She listens to
music (very very rarely) through the built-in speakers on her iMac. My bro
in SFO? He listens to the piped-in cable TV music via a pair of Sony 3" or
4" micro-satellites that came with his Xbox or Playstation. It actually
came with a subwoofer too, but that's hooked up IN A DIFFERENT ROOM because,
well, the cords weren't long enough to get it into the livingroom and he was
out of power outlets anyway what with the video games, the TV and whatnot.
Then to my brother's in Seattle... this was my biggest disappointment. Up
until he met his current long-term girlfriend, he had a nice vintage
setup... like a Technics or Pioneer receiver, a good turntable, a pair of
old Large Advents, lots of records, CD's. Well, he's been downsized... got
him a home theatre in a box, gone are all the decent components, albums and
CD's. The CD's were ripped to 96kbps lossy mp3's (his explanation: "to save
disk space, and you really can't hear any difference anyways"). A crappy 6"
or 8" thin particleboard sub rounds out his system. What happened to these
people?

I find it odd that good quality audio equipment was found in most everyone's
house when I was a kid... maybe not high-end stuff, but solid receivers and
decent-sounding speakers... and people LISTENED to them. Nowadays I think
the #1 requirement for people looking for an audio system is that it should
be as small as possible and have a built-in iPod dock. I appreciate music
more and more the longer I live and feel priveleged to be in a position to
drop a little $$ on a system that can reproduce it in a way that's realistic
and pleasurable. I guess I (we) are in the minority.

Dave
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 14 May 2009 09:07:19 -0700, Harry Lavo wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Well, you certainly have nailed part of it. I think another reason why most
people never look at high-end audio is simply because the market has
alienated the average music lover with it's snobbish approach to sales and
marketing, coupled with outrageous prices which have NO relationship to
actual costs, and topped-off with a very large amount of ritualistic
mumbo-jumbo involving $4000/meter interconnects, $1000/ft speaker cables and
things like myrtlewood blocks on top of amplifiers, ceramic "lifts" for
speaker cables. Not to mention after-market power cords that are as big
around as a baby's thigh, and often cost as much or more than the component
that they are connected to! People don't know that most of this stuff is just
nonsense and isn't necessary, but they see sales people trying to sell them
on this crap because it's high-profit margin and they are turned off by it
(if they ever even bother to investigate buying an audio system in the first
place). I have had more than one person tell me that they'd love to have
decent stereo system, but simply can't afford one after the sales guy starts
telling them the prices of all the accessories that they need just to get up
and running. I've helped several people buy decent stereos for not an arm and
a leg, and they sound good. but the delta between a "mid-fi" receiver and a
couple of cheap speakers and the good stuff is getting so large, that most
people just go out and buy an A/V receiver that will work with their TV and
will play CDs too along with a cheap surround speaker system and consider
that their music system.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Wormald[_2_] Greg Wormald[_2_] is offline

It isn't just the USA Harry.

A friend brought his son to me to talk about how to fruitfully spend his
"hi-fi money". This young man spent the rest of the afternoon drooling
over what could be accomplished. He had never heard a quality audio
system, and (I suspect) neither had any of his friends.

He had assumed that a high-end 'pod and headphones were the answer.

Greg
(in Australia)

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

This tended to confirm my suspicion
that here in the USofA we don't sell more good audio because folks simply
don't know about of its existence. Thanks to our dumbed-down society and
the dominance of the big-box stores. Oh, to live in Britain!

How far we have fallen as a musically-literate society.

I very much agree, Harry. The vast majority of people have never heard
good sound in their homes. They don't know what is possible with even
modestly priced gear, well set up.

Back in the early 80s, I had just spend a considerable amount of money
(compared to my income at the time) on a "big box" system (from the now
gone Federated store n SoCal). About a week later, when arriving early
at a location in Santa Ana to pick up a friend from work, to kill time I
wandered into Absolute Audio, which was about to close for the evening.
What I heard, from a system that cost about what I had just spent,
amazed me. I had no idea that one could get this much closer to the
sound of live acoustic music. People just don't know what is possible.

That said, I also don't think that most people care, and I think that
that is more the case now than it was years ago. People don't just sit
and listen as much anymore, in my experience. Chicken or egg? I also
think that this is related to the present nature of so much of pop music.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] khughes@nospam.net is offline

Sonnova wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2009 09:07:19 -0700, Harry Lavo wrote
(in article ):

snip

How far we have fallen as a musically-literate society.

Well, you certainly have nailed part of it. I think another reason why most
people never look at high-end audio is simply because the market has
alienated the average music lover with it's snobbish approach to sales and
marketing, coupled with outrageous prices which have NO relationship to
actual costs, and topped-off with a very large amount of ritualistic
mumbo-jumbo involving $4000/meter interconnects, $1000/ft speaker cables and
things like myrtlewood blocks on top of amplifiers, ceramic "lifts" for
speaker cables. Not to mention after-market power cords that are as big
around as a baby's thigh, and often cost as much or more than the component
that they are connected to!

Absolutely agree there..

People don't know that most of this stuff is just
nonsense and isn't necessary,

Sorry, but I don't really buy that. I think most people have enough
common sense to know *that* level of hogwash when they see it, and it
turns them off at that point.

but they see sales people trying to sell them
on this crap because it's high-profit margin and they are turned off by it
(if they ever even bother to investigate buying an audio system in the first
place).

If they even get to that point before being turned off.

I have had more than one person tell me that they'd love to have
decent stereo system, but simply can't afford one after the sales guy starts
telling them the prices of all the accessories that they need just to get up
and running.

As I've said in years past, we still have "high-end" stores here that
tell customers (with a straight face no less) that they absolutely
"must" reserve 15-20% of their system budget for cables. Idiocy IMO,
unless their system comprises about $100 worth of equipment. While not
normally inclined to credit the public with an overabundance of logic or
critical thinking ability, I nonetheless think that most folks are are
sharp enough to recognize *that* recommendation as the hogwash it
clearly is. If someone has $2000 to spend on a system, and a herd of
salesdroids inundate him/her with the "oh you need to spend at least
$400 of that budget on cables" schtick, with an air of "...clearly
you're an uneducated fool if you don't already know this...", how can a
sane person not walk away with a bad taste in his/her mouth?

I've helped several people buy decent stereos for not an arm and
a leg, and they sound good. but the delta between a "mid-fi" receiver and a
couple of cheap speakers and the good stuff is getting so large,

That seems something of an apples to aardvarks argument there, in that
*anything* and a "couple of cheap speakers" will result in a crap
system. I think it's more accurate to say that the delta between a
system with junk speakers versus good speakers is very large,
irrespective of the source and amplification equipment. I.e., put the
money where it counts the most - speakers.

that most
people just go out and buy an A/V receiver that will work with their TV and
will play CDs too along with a cheap surround speaker system and consider
that their music system.

Well, tilt as we might, that seems to be the way the current generation
is going. Doesn't work for you, or for me, but if we want to deal with
reality, I think it's plain that "high-end" is really becoming
"dead-end". And while arguably unfortunate, it's still irrelevant that
while any number of the "great unwashed" may be exposed to a real Hi-Fi
system and think, "Wow, that's so great...", if (as seems increasingly
to be the case) the cost, care, and feeding of such a system nonetheless
exceeds the perceived benefit, they'll continue to iPod along and be
happy. Having drooled over high-end gear for over 40 years, that
attitude is hard for me to wrap my mind around, but then disco and
hip-hop are/were popular too, so....

Keith Hughes

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

On 14 May 2009 16:07:19 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

. Thanks to our dumbed-down society and
the dominance of the big-box stores. Oh, to live in Britain!

Don't kid yourself. We're as dumbed down here in the UK as you are in
the US.

The scenario you paint is sadly pretty much the same over here.

But from my experience few people have ever felt that experiencing
truly hi-fi sound from their music sources was a particular priority,
so I don't think this is a particularly modern phenomenon.
Convenience and quantity (kids typically have thousands of songs on
their MP3 players) are seen as more important.

Still, it means we can gloat and feel superior, and it's nice to see
that look of surprise when the odd few uninitiated folks hear it sound
the way it should :-)

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com

Register now for Out of the Slipstream
http://www.OutOfTheSlipstream.com
July 2nd 2009, Denbies Wine Estate, Surrey, UK
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected][_2_] nmsz@optonline.net[_2_] is offline

On May 15, 5:47*am, Jenn wrote:
In article ,
*"Harry Lavo" wrote:

[...]

The audio hobby simply isn't what it used to be. One didn't even
require music of *any* kind; enthusiasts had fun reproducing a
railroad train running across the front of the room. For the men folk
there's that long mentioned WAF to deal with, often a hobbyist is
relegated to some unpleasant region in the basement. A care for sound
reproduction is not dependent upon liking to listen to Yo Yo Ma,
Pavarotti or The Beatles.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Hans Kruse Hans Kruse is offline

Harry Lavo wrote:
Had an interesting experience this last week.

I am actively involved in a local political campaign, and held a
meeting at my house last week. Several folks commented on my audio
system, and after the meeting several asked if they could hear it.
So I put the Beatles "Love" album on, in all it's multichannel glory.
Jaws dropped, but the audition was very brief, and we had no time to
talk afterward. Later during the week one of the listeners, a young
man in his late '20's/early '30's took me aside and said by a wide
margin that was the best reproduced music he had ever heard.

I agree and have had this experience a number of times I got my latest
equipment (Ingenium speakers from Teresonic and a 211 tube based amplifier).
As an example a music teacher listened to a recording of Beethoven piano
sonata no. 28 by Uchida and this teacher was sitting and could not believe
how realistic the piano was reproduced by this equipment. The recording is
technically wonderful but most importantly the artistic quality of this
recording is just so good. Uchida has her own interpretation of this sonata
that is really unique. I have had many visitors to my home listening to this
stereo equipment who have never heard anything like it. And many of them
have had decent stereo equipment themselves.

Now the interesting thing is....this guy is very bright, college
educated, grew up in one of Connecticut's wealthy shoreline
communities, is a classical music buff, is fully IPhone'd and totally
conversant and involved in today's technology. Yet he had NEVER IN
HIS LIFE heard a really good audio system or even knew they existed.
This tended to confirm my suspicion that here in the USofA we don't
sell more good audio because folks simply don't know about of its
existence. Thanks to our dumbed-down society and the dominance of
the big-box stores. Oh, to live in Britain!

I have had an interest in listening to mostly classical music over the years
(I'm 61 now) and have had a mix of various stereo equipment over the years
and only recently got this high-end setup. My pleasure and interest in
listening has not been limited to reproduction from very high quality
equipment. Many times I have enjoyed music when driving in my car from a
system that is far below the stereo in my home. Likewise listen to Callas
opera recordings in my vacation house making food with my wife and a bottle
of red wine can be a pleasure that goes beyond the technical reproduction
quality.

Having enjoyed music over many years, I also must say that hearing a very
detailed reproduction of well known recordings is really interesting as many
details didn't surface until I sat down and heard them again. I don't think
I appreciated these details in the beginning. Listening to a very good setup
is like being put in front of the musicians. I remember clearly the first
time many years ago I was sitting right in front of a string quartet
performing one of the string quartets of Beethoven (opus 59 no. 1). It was
an amazing experience to hear all the details. Now putting a CD on the
stereo is almost as good. All the details are there, but (of course) not the
emotional experience of a live performance with the musicians in front of
me. In my country it is also a minority who invest in good equipment
(despite being the home country for Bang and Olufsen ;-) )

--
Med venlig hilsen/Kind regards,
Hans Kruse www.hanskrusephotography.com, www.hanskruse.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Codifus Codifus is offline

[...]

And whose fault is it? Best Buy, Circuit City? You would think so
after they trounced those small boutique stereo shops like the
listening room. I was happily surprised, though, to find that Stereo
Exchange in NYC still exists and is even thriving.

5.1, 6.1, 7.2? When will this multichannel neurosis end?? I bet if
George Lucas's THX came out with a 10.3 spec where the 3rd sub-woofer
is a 42" sub-sub -woofer to produce the 5 Hz to 15 Hz range at 100 dB
SPL to faithfully reproduce the sound of a NYC subway train crashing
off of the Manhattan bridge, people would buy it. Of course that
woofer has to be located exclusively in your garage with your car
located at least 75 feet down the driveway to prevent the woofer from
vibrating it to pieces

Forgive me, I rant

We the people of the USofA are at fault and we should get back to more
fully appreciating stereo 2.0

CD

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Jenn" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

[...]

Well, I get kicked around every time I say this, but I continue to believe
it. I think it traces to early CD. Until the early '80's home music via
records was doing fine, and even though cassettes were growing as a
convenience item and sound quality was not up to LP standards, it was still
analog and still sounded musical. Along came CD with its undisputed
convenience factors, and people were told "perfect sound forever" and bought
it. But the sound on many (and I will claim most) CD's during the first
decade, especially when played on less than state-of-the-art gear, was just
sterile, sterile, sterile....due to problems in the mastering stage and in
the reproduction stage. They weren't beginning to be fixed before about
1992 (I remember the date well because I was considering starting a
newsletter called "The Musical Truth" as an anti-digital screed at the
time). As a result of this "sterility", a whole young generation was turned
off to listening....because the music just didn't "communicate" in an
emotionally-compelling way, and it became treated as background music. And
a pattern was broken that has never been restored. Digital sound on CD and
CD playback has gotten better, but compressed music and computers have added
even more convenience while degrading this improved sound back to
"background" quality.....and so the cycle continues.

My view. No proof. But I lived through it as a semi-pro recordist,
long-term audiophile, and concerned music lover. I stand by it.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 15 May 2009 08:18:21 -0700, wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:
[...]

Why don't you think about that for a second? If, as you say, "most people
have enough common sense to know *that* level of hogwash when they see it.."
then the high-end industry wouldn't be awash with hundreds of companies
selling this crap. They wouldn't have a big enough clientele to warrant such
a large business. Of, course, there is always the "bling" factor. Rich
audiophiles might buy expensive cables simply because they look cool (which
they do), IOW, audio jewelry.

[...]

Well, without any knowledge about how wire works with AC signals, I think the
average bloke can be easily sold a bill of goods wrt this stuff. The sales
guy tells them how much better the system sounds with this expensive cable
over that cheaper one, and even demonstrates. Not wanting to seem like a
boob, the buyer agrees. Hell, even an experienced audiophile will "hear" a
marked improvement with his new, expensive cable(s) over his old ones simply
because he EXPECTS the new one to sound better.

I've helped several people buy decent stereos for not an arm and
a leg, and they sound good. but the delta between a "mid-fi" receiver and a
couple of cheap speakers and the good stuff is getting so large,

That seems something of an apples to aardvarks argument there, in that
*anything* and a "couple of cheap speakers" will result in a crap
system.

I didn't say or even intimate that. I said that the delta in price between
the type of system one can get at Best Buy or Costco and even an entry-level
"high-end" system is getting so large that most consumers cannot see the
value in going with the high-end system (until they hear somebody else's,
that is).

I think it's more accurate to say that the delta between a
system with junk speakers versus good speakers is very large,
irrespective of the source and amplification equipment. I.e., put the
money where it counts the most - speakers.

Except that one can get a very decent receiver with more than adequate power
for just a couple of hundred bucks while even an entry-level "high-end"
integrated amplifier is five to ten times as much. The reality is that the
receiver and the high-end integrated can have roughly the same power and be,
for all intents and purposes, indistinguishable from one another, sound-wise.
Makes selling the average consumer on a decent high-end amp very difficult.
The fact that the high-end amp will be better made and will have switches and
pots which will last for decades, while the receiver will have to be replaced
in a couple of years because something will break is lost on most buyers in
this throw-away economy.

[...]

I agree completely with your last paragraph.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] nabob33@hotmail.com is offline

On May 14, 12:07*pm, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

How far we have fallen as a musically-literate society.

Several people have already noted the fallacy of equating high-end
reproduction with appreciation for music, but how many of us developed
our love of music while listening to high-fidelity reproduction of
same? (Harry, I understand, did, which would explain his perspective.)
I learned the American Songbook from my mother's AM car radio and had
an eclectic record collection long before I had a decently clean-
sounding set of speakers.

One thing about the iPod generation is that they listen to a LOT of
music—certainly more than I ever did. After all, it's more convenient
and accessible than it was in our day. Granted, most of it's pop,
because, well, pop is popular. But some of them will expand their
horizons one day, just as some of us did. BTW, I don't know if it's
still true, but in the early years of the iTunes Store, classical
music had a higher market share than it did in CDs.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 15 May 2009 02:47:18 -0700, Jenn wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

[...]

"I also don't think that most people care..." You said a mouthful, brother.
You're right, they don't care. this current generation also doesn't care
about their cultural heritage nor do they care to know about anything that
occurred before they became cognizant of the world around them. To them art,
music, literature, all of these things are "irrelevant". The only things that
are relevant to them are the latest Snoop Dog "song" and the latest "graphic
novel" and the latest lousy, overblown Hollywood "epic."

As the snooty maitre d' at the restaurant says when confronted by Matthew
Broderick and friends in "Ferris Beuller's Day Off": "I weep for the future."
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote in message
On May 14, 12:07 pm, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

How far we have fallen as a musically-literate society.

"Music literacy" is not enshrined in a particular
technology, vintage, modern or otherwise.

I find it far more significant that if you had played
Couperin, Buxtehude, Katchaturian, Du Pre,
Hindemith, Shostakovich or Jan Pieterszoon
Sweelink on ANYTHING, including their I-pod,
you would have been met, instead, with yawns
or blank stares.

I don't disagree with you Dick, except I would call that Classical Music
"Super-Literacy".

I was more speaking of people who simply incorporated music of any value --
show tunes, pop vocalists, etc -- into there lives by LISTENING to the
music, as opposed to treating it as background.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

codifus wrote:
[...]

Your hyperbole notwithstanding, there are sound reasons for more than 2.0
channels. (And btw, Tom Holman of THX -- a Lucas spinnoff -- does advicate
10.2 surround)

Better fidelity to 'live' events -- like, say, an orchestra in a concert hall --can be
achieved with surround, than with stereo, for one.

And certainly, fidelity to a movie experience -- which typically employs
surround systems -- is improved by surround at home. And movie sound, unlike
music production, actually adheres to *standards*.

Musical literacy has little or nothing to do with the quality of home audio reproduction; the
golden age of 'classical' music-as-popular-music in this country -- the days when
Toscanini and Stokowski were 'stars' known to the average man -- occurred well before anything
we would call 'high fidelity' playback today, existed. Millions fell in lvoe with classical
music from low-fi *radio broadcasts* of that era.

The fact is that we have far more competing musics --and other entertainments --
readily available to a wider public than we did then. Famliarity with Bach, Beethoven, Brahms
and Britten has suffered as a results.

Another fact is that incredibly good audio quality -- via cheap digital technology -- is now
available to far more people that in the golden age of 'audiophile' culture.

--
-S
We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

I really do think this is more of the problem....the number of people
exposed to high-end mumble and jumble is relatively small....because there
are few dealers left who sell the stuff. Most of the retail industry has
converted to audio-video (read video) or gone out of business. Most
people's EXPOSURE to audio-only systems is in the big-box stores.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think our British friends still have a
well-developed audio retailing industry and an absence of big-box
stores....so I don't think it is an accident that they also have many more
people (percentagewise) with an interest in having a good sound system, and
a flourishing magazine trade catering to them.

We have....box stores...and Stereophile...and hardly anything else anymore
(Abso!ute Sound is becoming scarcer than hen's teeth at retail). And as you
say, these tend to cater with mumble-jumbo more than addressing themselves
to the great unwashed.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On May 15, 12:09*am, Sonnova wrote:
People don't know that most of this stuff is just
nonsense and isn't necessary, but they see sales people trying to sell them
on this crap because it's high-profit margin and they are turned off by it
(if they ever even bother to investigate buying an audio system in the first
place).

Or they do know it's nonsense, and so assume that everything else
about high-end audio is nonsense, too. Equally sad.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 16 May 2009 03:04:25 -0700, Steven Sullivan wrote
(in article ):

codifus wrote:
[...]

While I certainly do not disagree with your statement, the fact of it, in and
of itself, is reason enough for most people to be turned-off by the entire
proposition. Most people find it a daunting enough task to integrate a
two-channel system into their home environment. Call it
"wife-approval-factor" or call it what you will, the point is that as the
number of "necessary" channels increases, the more people are going to
opt-out. Imagine an average living room with ELEVEN speakers in it! It may be
desirable from a sound-field perspective, but it's damn unwieldy and
bordering on the extremely impractical for most people.

And certainly, fidelity to a movie experience -- which typically employs
surround systems -- is improved by surround at home. And movie sound, unlike
music production, actually adheres to *standards*.

Musical literacy has little or nothing to do with the quality of home audio
reproduction; the
golden age of 'classical' music-as-popular-music in this country -- the days
when
Toscanini and Stokowski were 'stars' known to the average man -- occurred
well before anything
we would call 'high fidelity' playback today, existed. Millions fell in lvoe

with classical
music from low-fi *radio broadcasts* of that era.

The fact is that we have far more competing musics --and other entertainments

..... and a severely dumbed-down populace to consume them.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 15 May 2009 21:55:24 -0700, wrote
(in article ):

On May 14, 12:07*pm, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

How far we have fallen as a musically-literate society.

Several people have already noted the fallacy of equating high-end
reproduction with appreciation for music, but how many of us developed
our love of music while listening to high-fidelity reproduction of
same? (Harry, I understand, did, which would explain his perspective.)
I learned the American Songbook from my mother's AM car radio and had
an eclectic record collection long before I had a decently clean-
sounding set of speakers.

As did I. I came to classical music through the great film scores of the
1950's and 1960's. But my love of music in general started early. I still
remember popular songs from the late 1940's when I was just a pre-school tyke
and drove everybody around me to distraction as I latched on to some popular
song and sang it morning noon and night.

One thing about the iPod generation is that they listen to a LOT of
music—certainly more than I ever did.

Realizing that its all a matter of taste, I have to say that what they listen
to is junk and its quality and musical content is even less than the stuff my
generation listened to and at one time I would have said that was impossible!

After all, it's more convenient
and accessible than it was in our day. Granted, most of it's pop,
because, well, pop is popular. But some of them will expand their
horizons one day, just as some of us did. BTW, I don't know if it's
still true, but in the early years of the iTunes Store, classical
music had a higher market share than it did in CDs.

Today's young people have, for the most part, never, ever been exposed to
classical music. Most of them have no idea what it even sounds like. Schools
don't even teach musical appreciation any more, and most homes are filled
with the topical music that the parents' generation grew up with.

A young friend stopped by my place a couple of weeks ago and I was listening
to a direct-to-disc LP of the Glenn Miller band that was recorded in the
1980's. My young friend listened while the music played and asked, when it
was over: "What was that?" I said that it was Glenn Miller's band and it was
a genre of music called "big band" dance music. He said that while he'd heard
OF it, he had never before in his life actually heard it (he said he liked
what he heard). Topical music is mostly generational and the further one gets
from the generation that made a certain type of music popular, the more
obscure it becomes. When the "big band" generation completely dies out, I
suspect that this type of music will go with them. Same with the late-50's
rock and roll and so forth. Topical music is just that: topical. When people
stop listening to it, it disappears from the general consciousness.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

codifus wrote:
[...]

Truth is, for home use four full range speakers will usually suffice for
music, five if you are a purist. No sub required, and most multichannel
gear lets you create a phantom center channel, so you don't even have to
change your stereo setup. What really would help would be some good quality
rear amplifiers from name manufacturers with built in receivers and a
transmitter to accept signal at the preamp and transmit. Then setting up a
room would pose little more challenge (in some ways even less) than setting
up another stereo pair.

But this assumes, of course, that there is a dealer network out there even
remotely interested in selling a multichannel system with an emphasis on
music instead of movies (two fewer speakers, less wattage, etc.).

snip

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Sonnova wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2009 09:07:19 -0700, Harry Lavo wrote
(in article ):

snip

People don't know that most of this stuff is just
nonsense and isn't necessary,

Sorry, but I don't really buy that. I think most people have enough
common sense to know *that* level of hogwash when they see it, and it
turns them off at that point.

Why don't you think about that for a second? If, as you say, "most people
have enough common sense to know *that* level of hogwash when they see it.."
then the high-end industry wouldn't be awash with hundreds of companies
selling this crap.

"Most" people do recognize that mpingo disks and cable elevators, and
their ilk, are audio foolery.

They wouldn't have a big enough clientele to warrant such
a large business.

I don't believe it is a "large business", certainly not in relative
terms. It appears to be an ever shrinking market segment, aiming at an
ever narrowing client base - i.e. those with conspicuous wealth.

Of, course, there is always the "bling" factor. Rich
audiophiles might buy expensive cables simply because they look cool (which
they do), IOW, audio jewelry.

Very true.

snip

Well, without any knowledge about how wire works with AC signals, I think the
average bloke can be easily sold a bill of goods wrt this stuff. The sales
guy tells them how much better the system sounds with this expensive cable
over that cheaper one, and even demonstrates. Not wanting to seem like a
boob, the buyer agrees. Hell, even an experienced audiophile will "hear" a
marked improvement with his new, expensive cable(s) over his old ones simply
because he EXPECTS the new one to sound better.

Shhhhhhhh...you're bordering on heresy here :-)

[...]

That is *exactly* the point I was making. There is, IME, no vast
disparity between a mid-fi front end and a high-end front end when using
quality speakers. Which makes it even more ludicrous to suggest (as
I've seen happen in audio salons) to someone that they should invest in
a $3K CD transport and DAC instead of upgrading their $250 speakers,
because "the first piece in the audio chain is the most important".

Makes selling the average consumer on a decent high-end amp very difficult.
The fact that the high-end amp will be better made and will have switches and
pots which will last for decades, while the receiver will have to be replaced
in a couple of years because something will break is lost on most buyers in
this throw-away economy.

Absolutely. And let's face it, A/V is the market now. Here in a metro
area of some 5M people, I think we have *one* audio-only store left.
But a good A/V receiver with quality speakers will be hard to audibly
improve upon by upgrading electronics.

Keith Hughes

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

These are very good points. It was hard for me to realize that kids today
are as far removed from Elvis, Donavan, and the Beatles than I was growing
up in the fifties from 1920's jazz, which I learned to appreciate at my
father's knee. My daughter loves '60's and '70's rock and pop as a result
of exposure to it in my house....my 25 year old musician son complains of
the local public radio jazz show playing nothing but oldies ('50's and '60's
bop and modern jazz). He asks "where is Bitche's Brew, much less anything
later?".

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Roger Kulp Roger Kulp is offline

On May 14, 10:08*pm, "Dave" wrote:

[quoted text deleted -- deb]

I find it odd that good quality audio equipment was found in most everyone's
house when I was a kid... maybe not high-end stuff, but solid receivers and
decent-sounding speakers... and people LISTENED to them. *Nowadays I think
the #1 requirement for people looking for an audio system is that it should
be as small as possible and have a built-in iPod dock. *I appreciate music
more and more the longer I live and feel priveleged to be in a position to
drop a little $$ on a system that can reproduce it in a way that's realistic
and pleasurable. *I guess I (we) are in the minority.

Dave

Do you belong to any classical music discussion groups ?I do.It's
amazing how many people in these groups ridicule what they call
"audiophools",and seriously discuss buying their music as downloads.

Roger

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On May 16, 4:04*am, Steven Sullivan wrote:
codifus wrote:
[...]

Speak for yourself.My favorite era of classical recording is the mono
Lp era (1948-55),with early stereo and electrical 78s tied a close
second.If you have never enjoyed a good Deutsche Gramophon Furtwangler
78,or a scroll Victor Frederick Stock on a fine tube system,you are
missing one of the great musical experiences of all time.There are
some 78s like the Desire Defauw "Birds" I would rank as some of the
greatest sounding records of all time.Lo-fi is relative,a cheap tube
radio will always sound better than an iPod.

But I agree with you entirely about classical music no longer being as
accessable as it used to be.That ended when the last of Lenny's
"Young People Concerts " aired in the 70s.Pavarotti was the last
classical music celebrity of that stature.I think we said goodbye to
that world forever after Ronald Reagan,and his third term
surrogate,Bill Clinton so completely changed the media landscape in
this country.As someone who put their classical record collection
together from thrift stores,as these people were dying out,I can say
the sheer quantity of classical records the baby boomer's parents and
grandparents bought was incredible.

Roger

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Roger Kulp" wrote in message
On May 14, 10:08 pm, "Dave" wrote:

[quoted text deleted -- deb]

[...]

That can be interpreted several ways. To me, it reinforces the idea that
people, even classical music lovers like my friend about whom I wrote to
originate this thread, simply don't know that really good sound can exist in
a home.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:02:03 -0700, Roger Kulp wrote
(in article ):

codifus wrote:
[...]

I'll second that. I have a bunch of late 78-era London (British Decca) FFRR
records, and although I haven't listened to them in years I do know that
they sound SUPERB. The thing is that a lot of today's audiophiles are digital
snobs. They turn their noses up at any all analog sources. Me? I look at mono
LPs, stereo LPs, and even 78s as just another music source. Of course, I
adjust my expectations accordingly, but still, I'm very often pleasantly
surprised when the results sometimes far exceed my expectations. Its one of
the things that makes this avocation exciting!

But I agree with you entirely about classical music no longer being as
accessable as it used to be.That ended when the last of Lenny's
"Young People Concerts " aired in the 70s.Pavarotti was the last
classical music celebrity of that stature.I think we said goodbye to
that world forever after Ronald Reagan,and his third term
surrogate,Bill Clinton so completely changed the media landscape in
this country.As someone who put their classical record collection
together from thrift stores,as these people were dying out,I can say
the sheer quantity of classical records the baby boomer's parents and
grandparents bought was incredible.

It sure was. But classical music will weather the storm. It's been here for
generations and it will continue to find new audiences with every new
generation, even though that audience will be smaller than before. Remember
pop music belongs to the generations that embraced it. When they're gone, so
will, for the most part, the music. Sure, just as we still remember and
people still perform songs like "Night and Day" and "Stardust", people will
likely always remember and always play some of the Beetles better efforts and
maybe a few more. But Snoop Dog?!!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
paul_0090 paul_0090 is offline

On May 16, 4:04Â*am, Steven Sullivan wrote:
codifus wrote:
[...]

channels. Â*(And btw, Tom Holman of THX -- a Lucas spinnoff -- does advicate
10.2 surround)

Better fidelity to 'live' events -- like, say, an orchestra in a concert
hall --can be
achieved with surround, than with stereo, for one.

And certainly, fidelity to a movie experience -- which typically employs
surround systems -- is improved by surround at home. And movie sound, unlike
music production, actually adheres to *standards*.

Musical literacy has little or nothing to do with the quality of home audio
reproduction; the
golden age of 'classical' music-as-popular-music in this country -- the
days when
Toscanini and Stokowski were 'stars' known to the average man -- occurred
well before anything
we would call 'high fidelity' playback today, existed. Â*Millions fell in
[...]

I feel strongly that the "problem" with the CDs is due to the recording
engineers &/or producers. I have recorded my selected LPs onto CDs nearly
10 years ago & find that I regret throwing away some that have CDs
available now as MY recorded CDs "sounded better".

Much of the CDs now are cluttered for surrond sound when it isn't needed;
there is a "Producer's Cut" in DTS format of Emmy Lu Harris singing that
of times have the guitar she played coming out of the rear speaker while
the voice is in the front. I don't believe Harris has a doppleglanger.
Also the trend is to have the listener experience the music as if s/he
is sitting in the middle of the orchestra/band.

Then there is the boom box effect as the mid-bass is the only sound that
counted/required for "truism"/hi-fi; even the some VW commercials has
that with the windshield wipers moving to the heavy beat of the bass.
A former co-worker was part of a rock band & had mentioned to me that
they were going to get a "fuzz box" which sounded like equipment to
produce distortion. With synthetic music & electronics, quality
is only a matter of interpretation as can the equipment produce the
synthetic sound reliably; kinda think that is part of the reason for
the power shortages....

[...]

How about the olde "monkey song"??? There were silly songs even in the old
days. I did have to listen to a rap "song" while waiting at the stop light
where the car in the next lane was blaring out "fu*k this, fu*k that" to
a loud beat of the bass line; just 2 words, oops that's 3 words for the
whole song. Songs don't have musicality as the singers just yell out the
lyrics in a strained voice; sometimes it even sound like screeching...

Just so long there is a very heavy beat......

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On May 18, 10:40*am, paul_0090 wrote:

On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:02:03 -0700, Roger Kulp wrote
(in article ):

[quoted text deleted -- deb]

I feel strongly that the "problem" with the CDs is due to the recording
engineers &/or producers. *I have recorded my selected LPs onto CDs nearly
10 years ago & find that I regret throwing away some that have CDs
available now as MY recorded CDs "sounded better".

Much of the CDs now are cluttered for surrond sound when it isn't needed;
there is a "Producer's Cut" in DTS format of Emmy Lu Harris singing that
of times have the guitar she played coming out of the rear speaker while
the voice is in the front. *I don't believe Harris has a doppleglanger.
Also the trend is to have the listener experience the music as if s/he
is sitting in the middle of the orchestra/band.

Can you anyone refer me to a MC disc which *doesn't* have musical
sound in its side/rear channels. I never hear any music coming from my
sides or rear when seated in a hall.

[...]

Can I either directly or indirectly blame poor Ronnie or Bill for
putting musical sounds in side/rear channels of a MC disc?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote in message ...
[...]

Of course you do....much of the sound you hear is reflected from the sides
of the hall, and some from the rear. You are just not as aware of it
because an infinite number of sound sources is more "invisible" than two or
three of them.

[...]

No, but what does THAT have to do with the dimise of classical music?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On May 18, 2:24*pm, " wrote:

I never hear any music coming from my
sides or rear when seated in a hall.

What are you talking about? Of course you hear sound coming from the
rear and sides. What do you think happens when sound waves hit walls?
They don't just evaporate.

The reason you THINK all the sound is coming from the front is because
your eyes are open, and they are telling you that's where the sound is
coming from. But, as usual, your eyes are deceiving you.

The trick of good MC is to get the side and rear speakers to mimic the
reflections you'd hear in the hall.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On May 18, 3:50*pm, wrote:
On May 18, 2:24*pm, " wrote:

*I never hear any music coming from my
sides or rear when seated in a hall.

What are you talking about? Of course you hear sound coming from the
rear and sides.

He didn't say "sound" he said "music."

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On May 18, 6:50*pm, wrote:
On May 18, 2:24*pm, " wrote:

*I never hear any music coming from my
sides or rear when seated in a hall.

What are you talking about? Of course you hear sound coming from the
rear and sides. What do you think happens when sound waves hitwalls?
They don't just evaporate.

The reason you THINK all the sound is coming from the front is because
your eyes are open, and they are telling you that's where the sound is
coming from. But, as usual, your eyes are deceiving you.

The trick of good MC is to get thesideand rear speakers to mimic the
reflections you'd hear in the hall.

"A trick not at all well performed. Low level sounds (in actual
performance) are heard in the side and rear channels as being so
called "reflections" when in fact they couldn't have been and aren't.
It appears as a phoney gimmick, or "trick"; something like playing a 2
CH recording in a car and hearing the sound coming from all the
surround speakers. From where I sit in several decent halls there
aren't any side/rear refections of any appreciable volume. I can't
hear a soprano's low level voice from side or rear walls. If it were
the Met Opera House would have been torn down long ago.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dave Dave is offline

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
"Roger Kulp" wrote in message

Do you belong to any classical music discussion groups ?I do.It's
amazing how many people in these groups ridicule what they call
"audiophools",and seriously discuss buying their music as downloads.

Roger

That can be interpreted several ways. To me, it reinforces the idea that
people, even classical music lovers like my friend about whom I wrote to
originate this thread, simply don't know that really good sound can exist
in
a home.

Well, I have to say that music enjoyment is a subjective and personal
experience and don't want to seem in any way disparaging of people who can
truly enjoy Rachmaninoff on their clock radio. Just think how much money
they don't have to spend on expensive audio gear! Different people
definitely enjoy music in different ways, I enjoy the audio illusion of
"being there" imparted by decent (and the word "decent" is kind of a moving
target) equipment playing high-quality recordings. Clarity, timbre, attack
and decay, fortunately or unfortunately I hear those qualities and I really
DO NOT ENJOY lesser-quality in my livingroom. I can hear it and it bugs me.
But, take my wife for example. She can't carry a tune to save her life, and
couldn't tell the difference between a pair of Magnepan 3.6's and a pair of
JVC bookshelf speakers. Honestly, she can't. But she loves music
nonetheless in some odd way which I try not to think about too much.

What bothers me personally about the decline of high fidelity is that as we
move forward our choices seem to be becoming more and more limited as far as
what we are exposed to. Ultra-compressed CD's and FM radio (if anybody
other than myself actually still listens to FM), 64kpbs (or less!) satellite
radio, low-bitrate internet feeds... I listen to CBC-2 (I'm in Canada) via
my cable TV provider's FM feed and during a recent period when the FM feed
was interrupted I tried the internet feed... 64kpbs. And this is supposed
to be high-quality programming! But by and large it's a market-driven
choice: why provide high-quality content when the VAST majority of listeners
don't demand it? This isn't a bar I really want to see lowered that much.

Which leads back to a question I posed initially? What's changed? Why was
music important enough in the 60's for my parents, who were by no stretch of
the imagination wealthy, to spend the equivalent in today's dollars of
probably $3K or $4k on a stereo with 5 hungry kids to feed and one beater
car to drive around in? Why is it more likely people will by a home theatre
in a box now? Why are 128kpbs downloads good enough? Why would people
rather buy re-mastered compressed versions of CD's which were much higher
quality in their original form? To a large extent these choices have
already been made and it seems that as a society we have opted for quantity
over quality in a great many areas of our lives.

Dave