Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

Default Compromises in media production

On Tuesday, 7 October 2014 19:34:33 UTC+2, John Williamson wrote:
On 07/10/2014 15:57, William Sommerwerck wrote:

"John Williamson" wrote in message

At the very best, it would look as if the performers were behind a

window.

Even in 3D?

Until they find a way to project a 3D image onto thin air, yes.

The closest I've heard about is a decent headmounted VR set. The new

Rizzo? is reckoned to be close enough for training emergency service

operatives, but that gets its input from a CGI generator, not cameras.

--

Tciao for Now!

John.

I think it was 1990, at the 1st, or 2nd floor of Eifel Tower, I saw a 3D
holograph projection in the air.
It was all "green and air transparent", though.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 07/10/2014 15:57, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"John Williamson" wrote in message
At the very best, it would look as if the performers were behind a
window.

Even in 3D?

Until they find a way to project a 3D image onto thin air, yes.

The closest I've heard about is a decent headmounted VR set. The new
Rizzo? is reckoned to be close enough for training emergency service
operatives, but that gets its input from a CGI generator, not cameras.

No, definitely not head mounted. Can you see how UNreal a head mounted set
would be, as compared to a 3D life-sized image in front of you that stays in
one place?

Gary

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 08/10/2014 13:25, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 07/10/2014 15:57, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"John Williamson" wrote in message
At the very best, it would look as if the performers were behind a
window.

Even in 3D?

Until they find a way to project a 3D image onto thin air, yes.

The closest I've heard about is a decent headmounted VR set. The new
Rizzo? is reckoned to be close enough for training emergency service
operatives, but that gets its input from a CGI generator, not cameras.

No, definitely not head mounted. Can you see how UNreal a head mounted set
would be, as compared to a 3D life-sized image in front of you that stays in
one place?

The trick with the Rizzo is that it compensates for your head movements,
so you can look round the room as if you were there.

Sorry, it's actually called the Oculus Rift.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...osure-therapy/

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eZGsEu0VDiE

I have no argument with his perspective -- but that isn't the way these
demonstrations were billed.

Well, of course not. That's how engineering and marketing differ.

It is true that AR, KLH, and other New England companies emphasized the fact
that sound reproduction should be accurate, not "pleasant", and this
undoubtedly had an effect on the development of American audio equipment.

Although in the end, American speakers have a reputation around the world
for having bloated and exaggerated bass....
Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eZGsEu0VDiE

It is true that AR, KLH, and other New England companies emphasized the
fact that sound reproduction should be accurate, not "pleasant", and this
undoubtedly had an effect on the development of American audio equipment.

Although in the end, American speakers have a reputation around the world
for having bloated and exaggerated bass...

And German speakers have (or used to have) a bright top end.

The designer at KLH Audio (sadly, out of business) told me that, although his
designs were intentionally flat (they were), the woofer had a higher Q than it
"should", to please rock listeners.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Carry Me Home ( "Carry Me Back" sound evaluation)

This is a "no points" post to attach the correct title of the recording
to the thread, in case a searcher could be curious.

I am trusting that William hears better than he reads. ;-)

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"hank alrich" wrote in message

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Mr Alrich and I do not see eye-to-eye on what "natural acoustics" are.

Mr. Alrich has the supreme advantage in that he was in the room in
question. This is a simple thing: you want a bigger room. No big deal,
but that's the essence of your complaint, whether or not you realize
that. I have no problem with your preference.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default "Carry Me Back" sound evaluation

On Monday, September 22, 2014 at 11:31:59 AM UTC-4, Paul Babiak wrote:
On 09/22/2014 11:11 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Jeff Henig wrote:
PStamler wrote:

If I want to go "wow" about the engineering, I'll dig up my copy of
"Persuasive Percussion" (thanks, Scott!).

Is this the one?

http://tinyurl.com/persuasivepercussion

I think I'm getting that one on CD, 3&4. Very impressive for its time. Maybe some was recorded via 35mm film tape audio. Enoch Light.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Jeff Henig wrote:
PStamler wrote:

If I want to go "wow" about the engineering, I'll dig up my copy of
"Persuasive Percussion" (thanks, Scott!).

Is this the one?

http://tinyurl.com/persuasivepercussion

I think I'm getting that one on CD, 3&4. Very impressive for its time. Maybe some was recorded via 35mm film tape audio. Enoch Light.

Persuasive Percussion was done back in 1959 before Light got into the 35mm
magfilm thing, but it still has plenty of dynamics. I believe but am not sure
that their first 35mm album was in fact the "Stereo 35/MM" disc of 1962.

It was impressive indeed, but it paved the way for great pseudostereo evils...