Paul Smith

Default CD's trapped in dead player

Is there an easy way to force open my player & retreive the CD's? I assume
the repair $$ for this inexpensive player would be near the price of another
one (say $100 - $120) so I don't care about damage to the unit, just want to
extract my discs. I'm not afraid to deal with line voltage, carefully (e.g.
open the unit).

John A. Weeks III

In article , Paul Smith
wrote:

Is there an easy way to force open my player & retreive the CD's? I assume
the repair $$ for this inexpensive player would be near the price of another
one (say $100 - $120) so I don't care about damage to the unit, just want to
extract my discs. I'm not afraid to deal with line voltage, carefully (e.g.
open the unit).

If this is a single play unit, there is often a pin-hole somewhere
near the tray to pop the tray open. With the power off & unplugged,
insert a paper clip into that hole.

Otherwise, pop the cover off and see what you find. You may be able
to manipulate the mechanism with your hand to remove your CD's.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
ansermetniac

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:45:32 GMT, "Paul Smith"
wrote:

Is there an easy way to force open my player & retreive the CD's? I assume
the repair $$ for this inexpensive player would be near the price of another
one (say $100 - $120) so I don't care about damage to the unit, just want to
extract my discs. I'm not afraid to deal with line voltage, carefully (e.g.
open the unit).

If you are too stupid to unplug the unit you will never get the disc
out. Buy another one

Abbedd

________________

Go To Abbedd's Place For the MP3S of the Week

http://home.earthlink.net/~abbedd/abbedd

Boycott Inglotted CDS
http://home.earthlink.net/~abbedd/noinglottecds.htm

"Knowing what without knowing why is not knowing what"
"If Music is important,then anti-Musicality is even more important"
"I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made."
FDR
John A. Weeks III

wrote:

Is there an easy way to force open my player & retreive the CD's? I assume
the repair $$ for this inexpensive player would be near the price of another
one (say $100 - $120) so I don't care about damage to the unit, just want to
extract my discs. I'm not afraid to deal with line voltage, carefully (e.g.
open the unit).

If you are too stupid to unplug the unit you will never get the disc
out. Buy another one

Actually, unplugging the unit is the worst thing you can do. These
computerized components are very sensitive to static. Keeping them
plugged in ensures that they are gounded, and it allows you to use
the chassis as the ground point for your wrist strap. If you are
not competent working on stuff that is plugged in, you shouldn't
crack the case and open it since you could kill yourself in the
process.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
jakdedert

John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article , Paul Smith
wrote:

Is there an easy way to force open my player & retreive the CD's?
I assume the repair $$ for this inexpensive player would be near the
price of another one (say $100 - $120) so I don't care about damage
to the unit, just want to extract my discs. I'm not afraid to deal
with line voltage, carefully (e.g. open the unit).

If this is a single play unit, there is often a pin-hole somewhere
near the tray to pop the tray open. With the power off & unplugged,
insert a paper clip into that hole.

Otherwise, pop the cover off and see what you find. You may be able
to manipulate the mechanism with your hand to remove your CD's...

....or with a 12" pair of Channel Locks....
;-)
jak

-john-

ansermetniac

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:53:22 -0600, "John A. Weeks III"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Exactly what I meant

Abbedd

-john-

________________

Go To Abbedd's Place For the MP3S of the Week

http://home.earthlink.net/~abbedd/abbedd

Boycott Inglotted CDS
http://home.earthlink.net/~abbedd/noinglottecds.htm

"Knowing what without knowing why is not knowing what"
"If Music is important,then anti-Musicality is even more important"
"I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made."
FDR
Gareth Magennis

Well here in the UK most CD players are not grounded anyway and come with 2
pin figure of 8 mains connectors or 2 core mains cable. Also you are
unlikey to find any exposed mains connections. I suspect that's because it
is illegal to have them.

Since you have stated you're not afraid to deal with line voltages and don't
care about damage to your unit, I'd say remove it from the mains and go
ahead and take the top off. Often you can operate the drawer mechanism by
hand, or failing that the whole mechanical assembly may come out easily
after removing 4 screws and a couple of connectors.. It's pretty easy then
to either open the drawer by hand or dismantle it to retrieve your CD. Some
mechanisms require that you unclip the front drawer cover before you can
remove the entire asssembly as it is too big to pull inside the casing.

Also, so long as the PCB remains connected, it is highly unlikely you could
static damage anything unless you tried really hard.

Gareth.