Spiderman

Default Newbie Question Stereo watts per channel vs. speaker input power

Hello -

Very basic question regarding Watts per channel of my stereo vs input
power of my speakers. I bought a home theater in a box system. The
Stereo is rated @ 80W per channel, while the speakers are only rated
at a max input power of 50W per speaker. Is this correct, if so - what
is the rule of thumb if I want to get some new speakers? Is it better
to get speakers rated @ 80W-100W input power?

Thank you
Scott Dorsey

Spiderman wrote:

Very basic question regarding Watts per channel of my stereo vs input
power of my speakers. I bought a home theater in a box system. The
Stereo is rated @ 80W per channel, while the speakers are only rated
at a max input power of 50W per speaker. Is this correct, if so - what
is the rule of thumb if I want to get some new speakers? Is it better
to get speakers rated @ 80W-100W input power?

The power amplifier wpc rating may be something accurate and objective
(in which case it will usually be referred to as RMS power at a rated
distortion), or it could be a number pulled out of the marketing department's
collective asses (in which case you will see PMPO numbers or RMS power
at 10% distortion and other such crap).

The speaker power ratings are always numbers pulled out of the marketing
department's asses. They are general sort of guidelines for the power
levels they want you to use.

In general, if it sounds good, it's fine. If it clips or bottoms out,
it's very, very bad.
--scott

Thank you

William Sommerwerck

In theory (note)... A speaker's "power rating" means that it can safely be
connected to amplifier of that rating and be played "loudly" without damaging
the speaker. It does NOT mean that the speaker can handle that much continuous
average power.

In practice... It doesn't matter what the amplifier power is, as long as you
DON'T drive the system into audible distortion.

The problem is that most listeners have not idea what distortion sounds like, so
they crank up the volume until the speaker (and sometimes the amplifier) is
damaged.