Posted to rec.audio.pro
John O[_2_] John O[_2_] is offline

Default Audiograbber is a Virus??

My virus scanner has been quarantining audiograbber.exe lately. Seems that
several AV programs are doing this recently. Does anyone know if there's
really a bad version of audiograbber out there?

-John O

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sigurd Stenersen Sigurd Stenersen is offline

"John O" skrev
My virus scanner has been quarantining audiograbber.exe lately. Seems that
several AV programs are doing this recently. Does anyone know if there's
really a bad version of audiograbber out there?

I don't know anything about audiograbber, and I don't know if this is
related. But a couple of weeks ago, my antivirus decided that a Sonar 6.0x
update that had been sitting on my desktop for months was infected. I'm
pretty sure it wasn't...

I use CA antivirus. Which one do you use ?

Sigurd

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John O[_2_] John O[_2_] is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"John O" wrote in message
news
My virus scanner has been quarantining audiograbber.exe lately. Seems
that several AV programs are doing this recently. Does anyone know if
there's really a bad version of audiograbber out there?

-John O

As per Sigurd's observations, McAfee took a 4 year old program off one of
my laptops, one which reads Mac disks from XP machines. Misidentifications
do occur.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

I suspect this is a misidentification as well, but thought it was worth a
mention here. It also flagged a LAME.exe file, the compressed lame.dll I had
downloaded some time ago. BTW, my AV is ProtectorPlus. A no-name AV, but the
company I work for has been using it for nearly a decade and swears by it.

-John O

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"John O" wrote in message

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"John O" wrote in message
news My virus scanner has been quarantining audiograbber.exe lately. Seems
that several AV programs are doing this recently. Does anyone know if
there's really a bad version of audiograbber out there?

-John O
As per Sigurd's observations, McAfee took a 4 year old program off one
of my laptops, one which reads Mac disks from XP machines.
Misidentifications do occur.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

I suspect this is a misidentification as well, but thought it was worth a
mention here. It also flagged a LAME.exe file, the compressed lame.dll I
had downloaded some time ago. BTW, my AV is ProtectorPlus. A no-name AV,
but the company I work for has been using it for nearly a decade and
swears by it.

-John O

There really aren't any antivirus programs good enough except to swear at.
None of them offer better than a 95% detection per encounter, and since
there are so many viruses, they are nothing to rely on.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

LOL, I agree. I won't tell you how long it's been since I've seen a real
virus on one of my systems, in order that I don't lose my good luck.

Speaking of such things...what's a legit and safe lyrics site? I'm always
freaking out that the google searches I do for lyrics are going to land me
in spyware hell.

-John O

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

"John O" wrote in message
[...]

At least you can spot an address you recognise. Never follow a tinyurl
style link though - absolutely no clue what lies at the end of one of
those.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:

"John O" wrote

My virus scanner has been quarantining audiograbber.exe lately. Seems that
several AV programs are doing this recently. Does anyone know if there's
really a bad version of audiograbber out there?

As per Sigurd's observations, McAfee took a 4 year old program off one of my
laptops, one which reads Mac disks from XP machines. Misidentifications do
occur.

Well........... if you WILL use MacAfee which is only marginally less worse than
Symantec's ultimate PC clogger-up Norton !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jos Geluk Jos Geluk is offline

John O schreef:

Speaking of such things...what's a legit and safe lyrics site? I'm always
freaking out that the google searches I do for lyrics are going to land me
in spyware hell.

One way is to google for the lyrics, then not follow the link but rather
click the Google cache version, then quickly click "text version" in the
upper right hand corner before any malware is loaded.

Jos.

--
Ardis Park Music
www.ardispark.nl
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Jos Geluk" wrote...
John O schreef:
Speaking of such things...what's a legit and safe lyrics site? I'm always
freaking out that the google searches I do for lyrics are going to land
me in spyware hell.

One way is to google for the lyrics, then not follow the link but rather
click the Google cache version, then quickly click "text version" in the
upper right hand corner before any malware is loaded.

Brilliant! I've always marveled at how Google could cache
what seems to be the entire internet. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Robert Morein Robert Morein is offline

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote in message

wrote:

LOL, I agree. I won't tell you how long it's been since I've seen a real
virus on one of my systems, in order that I don't lose my good luck.

At least you can spot an address you recognise. Never follow a tinyurl
style link though - absolutely no clue what lies at the end of one of
those.

About a month ago, I was bragging right here on r.a.p about
how I've never used an anti-virus program (on my own computer),
and how anybody who does is weak and possibly genetically
defective and of low moral stature, etc.

As punishment for my hubris, I've now got a raging virus
that has survived a restore from backup, and other efforts.

When (not if) I find the perpetrator, he's going to have an
extra .45 inch hole in him.

Much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck

Tragic. Care to share how it might have happened? BTW, I think I see a
movie plot (comedy) about a guy with a 45 wandering Belorussia looking for
the guy who nuked his computer

I have a friend, whose computer I spent half a day reinstalling Windows, in
order to remove a virus. Six months later, it happened again. He said he had
no idea how it got on. Later, after someone else had cleaned it up a 2nd
time, he admitted that while surfing Russian web sites, he got a popup that
said, "Haha. You've been hacked." He must have thought the statement was a
little vague.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 23:41:44 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

Tragic. Care to share how it might have happened? BTW, I think I see a
movie plot (comedy) about a guy with a 45 wandering Belorussia looking for
the guy who nuked his computer

Funny that you should mention it, but one of the possibilities
(in my very, very ignorant assessment) is that I'd saved a .pdf
from a RUSSIAN website about pistols. The combination of Adobe
and Russia, the timing, well... I say shoot first, ask questions
later. But that's just me.

But I had recently also been forced into using the (laptop) computer
for some day-job stuff, including connecting it both through the
day-job Ethernet and through an unprotected wireless network.
Included in the likely time window was allowing a manufacturer's
website "trusted" permissions, that had never been needed before.

Way too much stuff for a simple answer, and I'm too ignorant of
the topic to even assess likely culprits, but I've saved various
versions of things for analysis, and I intend to get smarter soonest.

Much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote ...
But I had recently also been forced into using the (laptop) computer
for some day-job stuff, including connecting it both through the
day-job Ethernet and through an unprotected wireless network.
Included in the likely time window was allowing a manufacturer's
website "trusted" permissions, that had never been needed before.

Yikes. That is a hanging offense at the office. They allow only
company-owned (and configured) computers to connect to the
corporate network, and they have software that automatically
disconnects any other network when connected to their net
(whether wired, wireless, or VPN).

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 22:00:01 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

But I had recently also been forced into using the (laptop) computer
for some day-job stuff, including connecting it both through the
day-job Ethernet and through an unprotected wireless network.
Included in the likely time window was allowing a manufacturer's
website "trusted" permissions, that had never been needed before.

Yikes. That is a hanging offense at the office. They allow only
company-owned (and configured) computers to connect to the
corporate network, and they have software that automatically
disconnects any other network when connected to their net
(whether wired, wireless, or VPN).

Oh, I see my error (in reporting - my larger error is still floating).
I didn't connect to both networks at the same time. Fortunately,
I wouldn't even know how to do that.

It's some smart dick that might know how to do that (and lacks a
decent human morality) that's going to get perforated after finding
out how his own testicles taste. But I digress.

Much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro
John O[_2_] John O[_2_] is offline

Funny that you should mention it, but one of the possibilities
(in my very, very ignorant assessment) is that I'd saved a .pdf
from a RUSSIAN website about pistols. The combination of Adobe
and Russia, the timing, well... I say shoot first, ask questions
later. But that's just me.

There are several active PDF exploits, and I just read an article about some
almost-uncurable and undetectable root kit stuff that uses PDF or flash as a
vector. If you have the latest Acrobat viewer and flash plug-in versions
you're safe from these, for now.

Way too much stuff for a simple answer, and I'm too ignorant of
the topic to even assess likely culprits, but I've saved various
versions of things for analysis, and I intend to get smarter soonest.

It's overwhelming to keep up with all of it, unless it's part of a job
description. I subscribe to this: http://windowssecrets.com/ newsletter.
Tossed them a few paypal dollars to get the better edition, and its worth
every penny. Easy to understand, the authors are very good, and most of the
articles are interesting.

-John O

VIRUS ! VIRUS ! Scandalous video reason Divorce Madonna andRicchi barnegatdx Car Audio 1 October 22nd 08 12:17 AM
Audiograbber Dieter Britz Tech 4 June 6th 07 06:28 PM
Virus Tim Williams Vacuum Tubes 2 May 13th 04 01:59 AM
AudioGrabber Question chuck Tech 0 March 5th 04 03:31 PM