Posted to rec.audio.car
tdstr tdstr is offline

Default Sirius hardwire to Monsoon

Greetings!

I have a '04 Hyundai Santa Fe with the Monsoon head unit. I've been
using the Sirius Sportster portable unit through a FM modulator for a
while now, and well...the sounds sucks.

The obvious answer would be to junk the FM modulator and somehow
hardwire the feed to my stock system. But how to do? I checked the
back of the head unit hoping to find a AUX input of some sort but alas,
nothing.

I gotta believe some you auto audio peoples have come across similar
situations...how would you go about hard wiring a sat tuner into a
existing system?

Posted to rec.audio.car
tdstr tdstr is offline

John Durbin wrote:
Are you using FM wireless or the hard-wired FM relay solution?

JD

I'm using the wired FM relay solution that goes directly into the
antenna jack.

tdstr wrote:

Greetings!

I have a '04 Hyundai Santa Fe with the Monsoon head unit. I've been
using the Sirius Sportster portable unit through a FM modulator for a
while now, and well...the sounds sucks.

The obvious answer would be to junk the FM modulator and somehow
hardwire the feed to my stock system. But how to do? I checked the
back of the head unit hoping to find a AUX input of some sort but
alas, nothing.

I gotta believe some you auto audio peoples have come across similar
situations...how would you go about hard wiring a sat tuner into a
existing system?

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin John Durbin is offline

Try running a search for this phrase at google, yahoo:

hyundai OEM interface

Returns quite a few hits. You should be able to find an adapter that
will allow you to plumb analog audio out of your Sportster, using a
3.5mm stereo to RCA adapter cable, into the stock HU.

In my experience that will sound better than FM modulation.

JD

tdstr wrote:

Greetings!

I have a '04 Hyundai Santa Fe with the Monsoon head unit. I've been
using the Sirius Sportster portable unit through a FM modulator for a
while now, and well...the sounds sucks.

The obvious answer would be to junk the FM modulator and somehow
hardwire the feed to my stock system. But how to do? I checked the
back of the head unit hoping to find a AUX input of some sort but
alas, nothing.

I gotta believe some you auto audio peoples have come across similar
situations...how would you go about hard wiring a sat tuner into a
existing system?

Posted to rec.audio.car
tdstr tdstr is offline

Actually that is exactly what I would like to do. Except, I looked at
the back of the HU and did not see any other jacks for the exception of
the antenna jack.

I googled your search but and found some wiring harness info and Hyundai
PC peripherals but that's about it.

Are you saying there is a special wiring harness that could be used to
patch in the sat radio, just like a CD changer?

tdstr wrote:

Greetings!

I have a '04 Hyundai Santa Fe with the Monsoon head unit. I've been
using the Sirius Sportster portable unit through a FM modulator for
a while now, and well...the sounds sucks.

The obvious answer would be to junk the FM modulator and somehow
hardwire the feed to my stock system. But how to do? I checked the
back of the head unit hoping to find a AUX input of some sort but
alas, nothing.

I gotta believe some you auto audio peoples have come across similar
situations...how would you go about hard wiring a sat tuner into a
existing system?

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin John Durbin is offline

Not just a harness but an interface module that either plugs into an
extra port on the back of the deck - which probably won't look anything
like an audio jack - or T's into an existing harness. The module has to
be able to communicate over the HU's databus so it's a smart interface
rather than just a harness. The module would then provide you with RCA
inputs, and you access the AUX in from the HU by switching to CD2 or AUX
or whatever input logic the HU comes with that the module can take
advantage of.

JD

tdstr wrote:

Greetings!

I have a '04 Hyundai Santa Fe with the Monsoon head unit. I've
been using the Sirius Sportster portable unit through a FM
modulator for a while now, and well...the sounds sucks.

The obvious answer would be to junk the FM modulator and somehow
hardwire the feed to my stock system. But how to do? I checked
the back of the head unit hoping to find a AUX input of some sort
but alas, nothing.

I gotta believe some you auto audio peoples have come across
similar situations...how would you go about hard wiring a sat tuner
into a existing system?

Posted to rec.audio.car
tdstr tdstr is offline

My first look on the back of the HE I didn't notice any other
connections other than antenna and the main interface. I'll have to
take another look just to make certain.

A interface that T's into the main harness might be my only avenue at
this point. Thanx for the insight.