Nat

Default reducing EQ on bounced-down tracks

I have got five vocal tracks that I EQ'ed the exact same way, and now
with them together in the mix, I wish I hadn't boosted their highs.
Instead of going back and re-EQing each track, which in this case will
take a long time, I'm wondering if I get the exact same effect by
simply lowering the same EQ frequencies I had previously boosted, but
doing it to the two tracks I have already bounced the vocals down to.

I'm a novice, and so my goal is to do the least editing possible. If
pulling the same EQ down now will neutralize the raised EQ, then I'll
do it. And that's what I think should happen. When I do it, it
sounds alright, though I can't say I trust my ears 100%. But if it is
going to do something complicated that I have not thought about, then
maybe I should go back and redo the whole thing.

Thanks.
Ethan Winer

Nat,

I'm wondering if I get the exact same effect by simply lowering the same

EQ frequencies I had previously boosted

Yes, theoretically you can counter the earlier EQ exactly - if you use the
same EQ device and can get the exact same settings but with cut instead of
boost.

--Ethan

Scott Dorsey

Ethan Winer ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote:

I'm wondering if I get the exact same effect by simply lowering the same

EQ frequencies I had previously boosted

Yes, theoretically you can counter the earlier EQ exactly - if you use the
same EQ device and can get the exact same settings but with cut instead of
boost.

AND if the EQ cut and boost settings are exact mirrors of one another, which
is sadly not always the case.

AND if there isn't anything nonlinear going on, like the bass goofiness on
the Pultecs.

Nat

That's what I suspected. Another option I have is just de-EQing the
individual vocal tracks and then bouncing together. That would be
more time consuming, so if it's all the same, I'd like to just de-EQ
the vocals as they are all glommed together on two tracks.

The worst case scenario is to have to redo the vocal editing from
scratch. It's a long nightmare song on an eight-track with little
bits and phrases everywhere because there are so many parts. And I
did a bunch of editing at once, so I'd be starting over from ground
zero and re-editing everything. I barely know what's what and I'd run
the risk of using the wrong stuff. Plus it would take a whole day to
do. So if I can just de-EQ what's already done, that's best.