conrad

Default equal loads on stereo amp?

How important is for a stereo amp to see equal loads on both it's
channels? The reason I'm asking I have a Carver tfm35 and two passive
subwoofers..one of them is rated at 4 ohms and the other at 8...is it
safely possible?
Jerry G.

It is safe for the amplifier providing your amplifier can handle loads of
less than 4 ohms, since I am assuming you are going to have other speakers
at the same time. But, the sound pressure from each will be very different!
They will never balance to each other. You may as well use one mono type
subwoofer. This would mean you will require an amplifier to run the sub with
a mono sub output of the receiver, or source amplifier to drive it.

If your amplifier sees a load that is less than its rated impedance, you
will be soon sending it out to have the output stage rebuilt. This is an
expensive repair that you will not be able to do yourself, unless properly
trained and equipped to do so.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"conrad" wrote in message
m...
How important is for a stereo amp to see equal loads on both it's
channels? The reason I'm asking I have a Carver tfm35 and two passive
subwoofers..one of them is rated at 4 ohms and the other at 8...is it
safely possible?

CJT

conrad wrote:

How important is for a stereo amp to see equal loads on both it's
channels? The reason I'm asking I have a Carver tfm35 and two passive
subwoofers..one of them is rated at 4 ohms and the other at 8...is it
safely possible?

The loads don't have to be identical, but the question that begs to be
asked is why do you feel the need for more than one subwoofer? Those
frequencies are non-directional in perception.

Barry Mann

In , on 03/20/04
at 05:20 AM, CJT said:

conrad wrote:

How important is for a stereo amp to see equal loads on both it's
channels? The reason I'm asking I have a Carver tfm35 and two passive
subwoofers..one of them is rated at 4 ohms and the other at 8...is it
safely possible?

The loads don't have to be identical, but the question that begs to be
asked is why do you feel the need for more than one subwoofer? Those
frequencies are non-directional in perception.

It's probably a bass level issue. Everyone has a different idea of what
it should be.

I recall a demonstration using several very large subwoofers. It was
very intense -- they could interfere with your breathing. Musically,
there was no need to do this, but it was fun for a few minutes.

I've used subwoofers that were arguably a bit too large for the room,
but we could get enough level to key the flight response of the viewers
during the chase scene. At those levels the viewer becomes physically
involved with the movie.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

CJT

Barry Mann wrote:

In , on 03/20/04
at 05:20 AM, CJT said:

conrad wrote:

[...]

I think we're going to have a lot of deaf people in a few years.

unitron

(Barry Mann) wrote in message . com...
In , on 03/20/04
at 05:20 AM, CJT said:

conrad wrote:

[...]

Just don't get the level up enough to trigger the "brown" response.
That's probably a little more physical involvement than the viewer
would care for. :-)

Barry Mann

In , on 03/22/04
at 05:14 AM, CJT said:

I think we're going to have a lot of deaf people in a few years.

Agreed. In my youth I was known for being a sissy because I would flee
from loud noises. Now, my mocho associates are much farther down the
hard of hearing curve.

I also wonder what is happening to all those ears clamped in headphones
that I can hear across the isle in busses and trains.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

conrad

I thank everyone for their input...My system is not "loud"..both
subwoofers exaggerate the low frenquencies to the point where you feel
it in your chest but not your ears..to the point where certain parts
of the house start to vibrate..to the point where a pot light will pop
out of the ceiling..maybe I'm crazy..but I think I talk for a lot of
us here..thanks guys..