oodler

Default CDs and X-Rays???

I've got a rather unusual question.

I'm not exactly sure when this started happening, but my estimate is it's
been going on for over a year. Every burned CD in my CD case has, over time,
begun to degrade. At first it was only a couple here and there, and new CDs
would work fine, but lately even stuff that had been working before has
begun to wear down. And these aren't old CDs or crappy media, either. Most
tracks on most discs have this huge annoying hiss in the background until
the song ends, only to begin again with the next song. It didn't happen at
all when the discs were first burned, so the only explanation I can offer is
that maybe, when passed en masse through an X-Ray machine at an airport, the
discs might have degraded.

Any thoughts? Anything that can fix this? Any idea what it is or what could
be causing it? Please?

oodler

gregs

In article , "oodler" wrote:
I've got a rather unusual question.

I'm not exactly sure when this started happening, but my estimate is it's
been going on for over a year. Every burned CD in my CD case has, over time,
begun to degrade. At first it was only a couple here and there, and new CDs
would work fine, but lately even stuff that had been working before has
begun to wear down. And these aren't old CDs or crappy media, either. Most
tracks on most discs have this huge annoying hiss in the background until
the song ends, only to begin again with the next song. It didn't happen at
all when the discs were first burned, so the only explanation I can offer is
that maybe, when passed en masse through an X-Ray machine at an airport, the
discs might have degraded.

Any thoughts? Anything that can fix this? Any idea what it is or what could
be causing it? Please?

Have you tried another playback machine?

greg

Robert Gault

oodler wrote:
[...]

If newly burned CDs play correctly, then something has degraded on the
old CDs. It is very unlikely that X-Rays have anything to do with the
problem because the dye on the CD is designed to react to the optical
laser frequencies not those of X-Rays.

CDs won't last forever. Two obvious items to look for are abrasions of
either front or back surfaces on the CDs and poor storage conditions
regards temperature.

Do these "bad" CDs play correctly on other hardware?

oodler

They don't play entirely correctly on my old JVC, but they're a lot less
fuzzy on it, and they're unplayable on my stereo. The degredation is pretty
apparent because all mechanisms, no matter what I try, has a hard time
reading from track to track. Yet I know that my Panasonic DVD (hooked to
stereo) isn't defective because it plays regular, non burned cds perfectly
well.

I don't ever recall subjecting *all* my cds to extremes of heat or cold. As
for individual ones, they aren't the same ones that have gotten fuzzy.

oodler

"Robert Gault" wrote in message
oodler wrote:
[...]

Arny Krueger

"oodler" wrote in message

They don't play entirely correctly on my old JVC, but they're a lot
less fuzzy on it, and they're unplayable on my stereo. The
degredation is pretty apparent because all mechanisms, no matter what
I try, has a hard time reading from track to track. Yet I know that
my Panasonic DVD (hooked to stereo) isn't defective because it plays
regular, non burned cds perfectly well.

Certain DVD players never ever played burned CDs.

I get a feeling that the CDs are fine, but that the few players you ever had
that actually played them has degraded. Take them to a friends house and try
them on his PC.

Robertg Morein

"oodler" wrote in message
I've got a rather unusual question.

I'm not exactly sure when this started happening, but my estimate is it's
been going on for over a year. Every burned CD in my CD case has, over

time,
begun to degrade. At first it was only a couple here and there, and new

CDs
would work fine, but lately even stuff that had been working before has
begun to wear down. And these aren't old CDs or crappy media, either. Most
tracks on most discs have this huge annoying hiss in the background until
the song ends, only to begin again with the next song.

Hiss is completely unassociated with CD breakdown.

CD breakdown will sound like a record skipping.

Look to your players.

oodler

It does. Sound like a record skipping, that is. chk-chk-chk-chk in the
background.

And, it is the CDs after all, for sure. Look; I'm not the only one.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get some higher-quality media if I want to burn
things in the future.

oodler
"Robertg Morein" wrote in message

"oodler" wrote in message
I've got a rather unusual question.

I'm not exactly sure when this started happening, but my estimate is

it's
been going on for over a year. Every burned CD in my CD case has, over

time,
begun to degrade. At first it was only a couple here and there, and new

CDs
would work fine, but lately even stuff that had been working before has
begun to wear down. And these aren't old CDs or crappy media, either.

Most
tracks on most discs have this huge annoying hiss in the background

until
the song ends, only to begin again with the next song.

Hiss is completely unassociated with CD breakdown.

CD breakdown will sound like a record skipping.

Look to your players.

Arny Krueger

"oodler" wrote in message

It does. Sound like a record skipping, that is. chk-chk-chk-chk in the
background.

Bad tracking.

And, it is the CDs after all, for sure. Look; I'm not the only one.

The Register gets a little hyper at times.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get some higher-quality media if I want
to burn things in the future.

Using crap media is always a bad idea, but lots of people have old CD-Rs
that are working just as well as their new ones.

Players do degrade as time passes and the ability to track CD-Rs is one of
the things that seems to go first.

I have at least 5 CD readers hooked up all the time. Every once in a while a
legacy CD or CD-R won't read on one of them and I just play it someplace
else. Since two of the 5 are burners that are paired with readers, I also
sometimes just make another copy of the disc, suspecting that it was
originally burned on marginal media that doesn't work well in marginal
players.

I know that 2 of the 5 readers can be a bit picky at odd moments, but they
generally work just fine.

Mark D. Zacharias

I've had customers with this problem, and it was the fault of the case,
especially if the CD artwork etc was jammed in the same slot. The discs get
scuffed over a period of time and begin to have problems playing. A close
inspection of the discs would show if this was the problem.

Mark Z.

"oodler" wrote in message
[...]

Bubba

It could be your player and not teh CDs.
Have you tried playing commerical pressed
Cd bought at a store. If they play fine,
you know it is teh player. Another
thing to do is to take your CDs
to a friend's player and try them.

"oodler" wrote in message
[...]

chuck

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 02:09:05 GMT, "oodler"
wrote:

[...]

All my recordings on Penco disks were unreadable after a year of
storage in a dark airconditioned room. Verbatim disks recored on the
same burner at the same time are fine. Chuck