Stephen King

Default USB Soundcards

I have Cool Edit Pro and have used it with my desktop to make
recordings through a Soundblaster Live card using a Shure microphone
with adapters to change it from XLR to 1/8" (believe that's correct).
It worked well for what I was doing, however it was a pain to have to
work from my desktop when most of the things I'd want to record (i.e.
pianos and organs) aren't near my desktop.

I bought a laptop for other reasons, but I'd like to use it to do some
recordings. Is there a good external sound card for a laptop? I've
looked at Audigy and Extigy. Anyone have experience with those? Are
there any soundcards out there with XLR inputs for a moderate budget
(in the same price range as the Audigy or Extigy). Any suggestions at
all for making the best quality recordings I can would be helpful...
Richard Crowley

"Stephen King" wrote ...
I have Cool Edit Pro and have used it with my desktop to make
recordings through a Soundblaster Live card using a Shure microphone
with adapters to change it from XLR to 1/8" (believe that's correct).
It worked well for what I was doing, however it was a pain to have to
work from my desktop when most of the things I'd want to record (i.e.
pianos and organs) aren't near my desktop.

I bought a laptop for other reasons, but I'd like to use it to do some
recordings. Is there a good external sound card for a laptop? I've
looked at Audigy and Extigy. Anyone have experience with those? Are
there any soundcards out there with XLR inputs for a moderate budget
(in the same price range as the Audigy or Extigy). Any suggestions at
all for making the best quality recordings I can would be helpful...

You say "best quality recordings I can", but you are looking
at bottom-of-the-barrel products. Perhaps you should define
your budget and how serious you are.

Stephen King

Hm...well I suppose my budget is basically $200 at most, and my intent
is really probably just amateur recordings. It would just be nice to
have some way of making recordings of my improvised/compositional
doodlings, organ pieces I've played (for my own benefit, and to give
to family), that kind of thing.

Len Moskowitz

Stephen King wrote:

I bought a laptop for other reasons, but I'd like to use it to do some
recordings. Is there a good external sound card for a laptop? I've
looked at Audigy and Extigy. Anyone have experience with those? Are
there any soundcards out there with XLR inputs for a moderate budget
(in the same price range as the Audigy or Extigy). Any suggestions at
all for making the best quality recordings I can would be helpful...

When last we checked, none of the Creative Labs products are bit-for-bit
accurate and all resample their inputs even if resampling is not
required.

I'd recommend M-Audio's MobilePre USB or Duo. See our Web pages for
more details.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Stephen King

Well...I was going to just assume you had a biased opinion, but I took
a look at the web site, and the MobilePre does look like what I'm
looking for, and at a good price.

Pardon me for being impolite, but since I've never heard of this
company before, is there anyone on the board with an unbiased opinion
of it and its products?

Unfortunately, since I just bought the laptop, I can't immediately
afford anything, but once I get everything squared away, I'll
definitely be interested in the MobilePre...

Thanks for the advice...

Nick H (UK)

Stephen King wrote:
Well...I was going to just assume you had a biased opinion, but I took
a look at the web site, and the MobilePre does look like what I'm
looking for, and at a good price.

Pardon me for being impolite, but since I've never heard of this
company before, is there anyone on the board with an unbiased opinion
of it and its products?

Unfortunately, since I just bought the laptop, I can't immediately
afford anything, but once I get everything squared away, I'll
definitely be interested in the MobilePre...

Thanks for the advice...

M-Audio is a very well known supplier of sound cards etc, a google
should show up a number of reviews and comments.

See also http://www.m-audio.com

I don't have experience; they were on my list of potential sound card
suppliers earlier this year but in the end I got an RME

www.rme-audio.com/english

--
Nick H (UK)

Nick H (UK)

Stephen King wrote:

snip

Pardon me for being impolite, but since I've never heard of this
company before, is there anyone on the board with an unbiased opinion
of it and its products?

snip

Oh sorry; immediately after posting my comment re M-Audio I realised
that you are asking for an opinion on the *supplier*

I should engage brain before posting:-)

--
Nick H (UK)

Stephen King

Heh, that's quite alright. I was also curious in the product. When
it comes to audio stuff I'm out of the recording loop...
Stephen King

Heh, that's quite alright. I was also curious in the product. When
it comes to audio stuff I'm out of the recording loop...
Stephen King

Heh, that's quite alright. I was also curious in the product. When
it comes to audio stuff I'm out of the recording loop...
Stephen King

Heh, that's quite alright. I was also curious in the product. When
it comes to audio stuff I'm out of the recording loop...
Carlos

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message ...
"Stephen King" wrote ...

Don't know if it's within budget, but the Tascam US-122 (about 200
bucks I think) is a nice little USB-self-powered 2 input mixer with
proper XLR mic inputs and all. Check it out at www.tascam.com. Looks
ideal for a portable.

Carlos

[...]

Diphthong

(Stephen King) wrote in message . com...

"even a glitch one sample long should be clearly audible as a 'tick',
and I've yet to review any USB audio peripheral that can pass this
playback test. "

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar0...pcmusician.asp

so.. avoid USB soundcards, or have things moved on sufficiently in 3
years?

Stephen King

Is there any other option for a laptop, though?
Stephen King

Is there any other option for a laptop, though?
Stephen King

Is there any other option for a laptop, though?