Nat

Default In Monitors We Trust

People told me my PS6 monitors would make my music sound worse than it
really does b/c they produce a more accurate representation of the
sound, not like a sweetened up boombox or stereo system. But in my
experience, they sound better than the stereos I run my mix thru. Of
course, my only stereos with inputs are cheap and old. And I don't
have a cd burner yet to transfer the sound to my new stereo system.

My question is which sound to trust. B/c I would use different volume
levels and EQs on tracks depending on which kind of speakers I want it
to sound good on.
Sugarite

People told me my PS6 monitors would make my music sound worse than it
really does b/c they produce a more accurate representation of the
sound, not like a sweetened up boombox or stereo system. But in my
experience, they sound better than the stereos I run my mix thru. Of
course, my only stereos with inputs are cheap and old. And I don't
have a cd burner yet to transfer the sound to my new stereo system.

My question is which sound to trust. B/c I would use different volume
levels and EQs on tracks depending on which kind of speakers I want it
to sound good on.

It's the sound you seek, it's the monitors that reproduce it, it's your ears
you trust. Same sound, same ears, different monitoring reproductive
systems. Learn to make the best of what you've got available to you. No
matter how much you spend, you'll still have to compensate for
inconsistencies.

From learning which aspects you have trouble compensating for, you learn
what characteristics you want in a set of monitors, at which point no online
discussion forum can help you find what suits you best.

HKC

Monitors with some controls on them are often a good way to compensate for
the lack of a well balanced room. A number of monitors have bass, treble and
a few more controls. I used to work in a room where the bass was always
mixed to loud. Then a pair of ADAM 2.5 was brought in a our problems was
significantly diminished. Of course EQ and tielines to other stereo systems
in other rooms is also a good idea and definately cheaper than the ADAMs
which are pretty much the most expensive ones around. As for which to trust,
it has to sound good everywhere if everything else sounds good on the
systems you check it on.

--
Henrik Krogh

"Nat" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
People told me my PS6 monitors would make my music sound worse than it
really does b/c they produce a more accurate representation of the
sound, not like a sweetened up boombox or stereo system. But in my
experience, they sound better than the stereos I run my mix thru. Of
course, my only stereos with inputs are cheap and old. And I don't
have a cd burner yet to transfer the sound to my new stereo system.

My question is which sound to trust. B/c I would use different volume
levels and EQs on tracks depending on which kind of speakers I want it
to sound good on.

TonyP

"Sugarite" wrote in message
It's the sound you seek, it's the monitors that reproduce it, it's your

ears
you trust.

Yes most people have a misguided trust in their ears, as if they were some
accurately calibrated acoustical standard. Nothing could be further from the
truth.

TonyP.

Doug

Ears are NOT power meters, nor do they hear like a power meter,
pressure meter, loudness meter, db meter or any other meter meters.
They are non-linear, poorly understood mechanisms. But ultimately, it
is our ears (and I am a musician), that guide us as to what sounds
right. For after all, what else matters?

"TonyP" wrote in message . au...
"Sugarite" wrote in message
It's the sound you seek, it's the monitors that reproduce it, it's your

ears
you trust.

Yes most people have a misguided trust in their ears, as if they were some
accurately calibrated acoustical standard. Nothing could be further from the
truth.

TonyP.

Scott Dorsey

Doug wrote:
Ears are NOT power meters, nor do they hear like a power meter,
pressure meter, loudness meter, db meter or any other meter meters.
They are non-linear, poorly understood mechanisms. But ultimately, it
is our ears (and I am a musician), that guide us as to what sounds
right. For after all, what else matters?

The problem is that I can't hear electrical signals directly. I am forced
to run them through transducers and a room in ordr to hear them, and those
transducers and rooms are often flawed.

What is worse is that the other people listening to the recordings have even
more flawed transducers and rooms. And I have to look out for them, since
after all they are the guys paying the bills.

Nat

Well, I think the first thing I have to do is get a cd burner so I can
listen to this on more stereo systems. The newer consumer stereos in
my house have no inputs, so I think I have to start burning cds if I
want to listen on multiple systems. I've put off getting a cd burner
for such a long time, I'm afraid I'm the last one at the party. But
then they're probably cheap now, too.

"HKC" wrote in message ...
Monitors with some controls on them are often a good way to compensate for
the lack of a well balanced room. A number of monitors have bass, treble and
a few more controls. I used to work in a room where the bass was always
mixed to loud. Then a pair of ADAM 2.5 was brought in a our problems was
significantly diminished. Of course EQ and tielines to other stereo systems
in other rooms is also a good idea and definately cheaper than the ADAMs
which are pretty much the most expensive ones around. As for which to trust,
it has to sound good everywhere if everything else sounds good on the
systems you check it on.

--
Henrik Krogh

"Nat" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
People told me my PS6 monitors would make my music sound worse than it
really does b/c they produce a more accurate representation of the
sound, not like a sweetened up boombox or stereo system. But in my
experience, they sound better than the stereos I run my mix thru. Of
course, my only stereos with inputs are cheap and old. And I don't
have a cd burner yet to transfer the sound to my new stereo system.

My question is which sound to trust. B/c I would use different volume
levels and EQs on tracks depending on which kind of speakers I want it
to sound good on.

Kurt Albershardt

Doug wrote:

"TonyP" wrote in message . au...

most people have a misguided trust in their ears, as if they were some
accurately calibrated acoustical standard. Nothing could be further from the
truth.

Ears are NOT power meters, nor do they hear like a power meter,
pressure meter, loudness meter, db meter or any other meter meters.
They are non-linear, poorly understood mechanisms.

I think we understand the basics of the ear just fine.

The more refined stuff (ability to hear despite damage, ability to resolve very fine detail amidst background noise, etc.) is more murky, being in effect consciousness & perception research.