Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Larry[_9_] Larry[_9_] is offline

Default older Bose 501's

I am tempted to buy some early 80's 501's which are cheap albeit ugly
and beat up. I would like to rebuild them with a new shell and make
them new (er). Is it worth it? are the early 80's speakers and
crossovers good???? talk to you later...

Larry
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Larry said:

I am tempted to buy some early 80's 501's which are cheap albeit ugly
and beat up. I would like to rebuild them with a new shell and make
them new (er). Is it worth it? are the early 80's speakers and
crossovers good???? talk to you later...

I advise against expending all that effort. Boseboxes are pre-engineered
for recycling, in anticipation of their second lives serving a more useful
purpose than rendering horrid-sounding imitation music. Here's an
illustrative example of a beneficially repurposed Bosebox, albeit one that
cries out for an infusion of imagination:

http://linkasa.com/NR

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
UnsteadyKen[_3_] UnsteadyKen[_3_] is offline

George M. Middius wrote...

Here's an
illustrative example of a beneficially repurposed Bosebox, albeit one that
cries out for an infusion of imagination:

Hmm, the tweeter looks a bit out of date.

--
Ken

http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/buddyduck/
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 6 Oct, 22:05, George M. Middius wrote:
Larry said:

I am tempted to buy some early 80's 501's which are cheap albeit ugly
and beat up. *I would like to rebuild them with a new shell and make
them new (er). *Is it worth it? *are the early 80's speakers and
crossovers good???? *talk to you later...

I advise against expending all that effort. Boseboxes are pre-engineered
for recycling, in anticipation of their second lives serving a more useful
purpose than rendering horrid-sounding imitation music. Here's an
illustrative example of a beneficially repurposed Bosebox, albeit one that
cries out for an infusion of imagination:

http://linkasa.com/NR

or he can try to find a used pair of 901's and go condo.