Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jason Warren[_2_] Jason Warren[_2_] is offline

Default which mic is that?

I know, I know... YouTube generally mangles audio, but not always. I came across a video
of a studio session with Mavis Staples performing Stephen Foster's "Hard Times Come
Around No More." It's quite a performance, both by Ms Staples and by pianist Matt Rollins
who, I discovered, has been country Musician of the Year 16 times!

I particularly like the hard edge on the piano sound and wonder how much is attributable
to the mic(s?) used versus studio processing. You can catch a glimpse of the mic on the
piano at around 1:20 and of the vocal mic at around 1:40. Can someone identify them? The
recording was made in 2004. Audition shows that there's audio up to about 15kHz - FM
quality I guess.

The link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ixbah9u234

Thanks,
Jason

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Jul 13, 5:22*pm, Jason Warren wrote:
I know, I know... YouTube generally mangles audio, but not always. I came across a video
of a studio session with Mavis Staples performing Stephen Foster's "Hard Times Come
Around No More." It's quite a performance, both by Ms Staples and by pianist Matt Rollins
who, I discovered, has been country Musician of the Year 16 times!

I particularly like the hard edge on the piano sound and wonder how much is attributable
to the mic(s?) used versus studio processing. You can catch a glimpse of the mic on the
piano at around 1:20 and of the vocal mic at around 1:40. Can someone identify them? The
recording was made in 2004. Audition shows that there's audio up to about 15kHz - FM
quality I guess.

I don't know the vocal mic (Audio-Technica?), but the one on the piano
looks like a Microtech Gefell M930, M940 or M950 (can't tell which --
they all look the same).

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"PStamler" wrote in message
[...]

But the hard edge you hear is probably the player and the instrument more
than the mic.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dec [Cluskey] Dec [Cluskey] is offline

On Jul 13, 11:56*pm, "Steve King"
wrote:
I particularly like the hard edge on the piano sound and wonder how

much
is attributable
to the mic(s?) used versus studio processing.

Jason

In my experience the recorded sound of a piano is little to do with
the microphone/microphones.

As Steve King says it is more to do with the player and the piano
itself.

A Bosendorfer is a Bosendorfer ... end of.

Probably the greatest British session player was Reg Guest .. a good
pal and I watched him play so many times ... he had Elton John
fingers ... fat short and stubby ... his fingers barely moved but the
percussiveness of his playing was to die for. Also the thought in his
playing ... he was only heard when it meant something. [I still
arrange by that thought]

The piano in Decca Number 2 [West Hampstead, London] studio was
horrible .... always sounded out of tune, no body to it .... but it
recorded sensationally. It was covered with a heavyweight padded
canvas protective cover which never came off and there was simply a
single mic. laid on the right side of the sound board ... that was
all. The sound was amazing ... and is the piano heard on 90% of the
Decca hits right through the 60's, 70's, and probably 80's.

So the combination of that piano and the playing of Reg .... wow!

Of course the compressors were tasty, can't remember the name ...
small, black, VU, a few knobs. Clark Technics?

I pride myself on the piano sound I achieve .... and that is with good
samples ... and Yamaha Motif 'Power Grand' mostly .... a lot of hard
high mids EQ and massive compression ... plus playing it very hard.

I guess it is the playing and the compression which are important in
the execution ... we have a 'proper' piano in the studio and have used
it .... but the Motif plus EQ and huge compression gives us our best
sound. Incidentally, I always let the piano player [or it could be
me] hear the sound as it will be mixed ... in other words, with the
full compression, EQ and effects ... I feel this is important ....
"play the sound" ... just like guitar playing.

Dec [Cluskey] http://www/deccluskey.co.uk/blog
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dec [Cluskey] Dec [Cluskey] is offline

On Jul 15, 7:00*pm, Ty Ford wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 18:22:20 -0400, Jason Warren wrote
(in article ):
I do like the piano sound, though. Little edge on her voice. small but there.
Could be a 1176 limiter, though.
Regards,

Ty Ford

-

Jason

Sorry .... didn't look at the clip until just now ....

She is lip syncing for the camera shots ... so there is no real shot
of her actually singing ... although it would appear she is using the
big jobby for singing in the video ... I would feel it highly unlikely
that she recorded her voice in a huge open space like that.

The piano likewise .... there is a single mic. [looks like the same
mic.] over the strings for the video but we don't see any studio
recording shots. Perhaps the piano shots in the video were in an
isolation booth for the acoustic piano? Would make sense.

Pretty 'ordinary' piano sound to me .... not up to many of the
phenomenal hard hitting sounds being used today. Very 'real'
though .... if you like that kind of thing.

Try to find 'First Night of the Proms' a BBC production from The
Albert Hall last night [15th July] in London .... a pianist just
turned 19 got the biggest ovation in history [Liszt Piano Concerto]

Go to http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/catchup-tv search 'First Night of
the Proms' ... connect to good sound system? Preferably studio quaity
earphones.

Dec [Cluskey] http://www.deccluskey.co.uk/blog

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 06:03:31 -0700 (PDT), "Dec [Cluskey]"
wrote:

On Jul 15, 7:00*pm, Ty Ford wrote:
[...]

I watched that on HD with Dolby surround. I'd say they got the
ambience pretty near spot on for the Albert Hall - I was seriously
impressed with that broadcast.

Shame about the choice of music though - far too flashy. I could have
hoped for a more mature, studied piece. I kept on getting Liberace
flashbacks, and that really wasn't good.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

On Jul 15, 7:00 pm, Ty wrote:
[...]

He's 19. Kids like to shred.

So keep him for kids' night. That wasn't right for the opening.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jul 16, 5:19*pm, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 10:19:21 -0700, Les Cargill

Shame about the choice of music though - far too flashy. I could have

Don [way off thread?]

And isn't that odd ...

I found the choice amazing ... the audience reaction said it all ... I
will admit I had more than a tear in my eye ... 19 years of age ...
with that speed, perfection, technique and the 'feeling' ... the
interview with his teacher absolutely set the scene ... we knew it was
going to be special.

The Janácek's Glagolitic Mass was quite mind blowing ... I just loved
the sweat on the musicians' brows ... and the sheer exhaustion on the
conductor's face at times. I have never seen that before. Stretched
to the limit in music could be said?

Finally, I do feel the BBC sound team proved themselves to be the ones
to beat in the world ... I would love to have heard it in surround ...
I had my best studio earphones and that was something!

With all the foreign involvement coming up in the Proms I do feel it
was right to showcase the greatest British rising talent.

By the way, where did they get the piano from and where did they wheel
it to after his performance? A mystery of the Universe?

Dec [Cluskey] http://www.deccluskey.co.uk/blog

PS: Guildfest tomorrow .... VIP tickets [my son runs it! Grin!]
With others, I hasten to add. What a line up. I shall be recording
this week's '4 Minutes on the Net with Dec' there ... hope the weather
is kind.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dec [Cluskey] Dec [Cluskey] is offline

On Jul 16, 5:19*pm, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 10:19:21 -0700, Les Cargill

Re. Piano arriving on Albert Hall stage.....

There is a trapdoor, I have found out .... they must have used it.

Dec [Cluskey] http://www.deccluskey.co.uk/blog

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Larsen Peter Larsen is offline

"Dec [Cluskey]" wrote:

She is lip syncing for the camera shots ... so there is no real shot
of her actually singing ... although it would appear she is using the
big jobby for singing in the video ... I would feel it highly unlikely
that she recorded her voice in a huge open space like that.

Why? - a large space tends to be good for voice!

The piano likewise .... there is a single mic. [looks like the same
mic.] over the strings for the video but we don't see any studio
recording shots. Perhaps the piano shots in the video were in an
isolation booth for the acoustic piano? Would make sense.

It makes sense that this should be how the recording was made _because_
the piano sound fits the positioning of he microphone. Also,
psychologically I find it hard to imagine the mic owner not putting the
mic where it would be deployed for real even if it is - as is possible -
all playback with sound substitution in post.

Pretty 'ordinary' piano sound to me .... not up to many of the
phenomenal hard hitting sounds being used today. Very 'real'
though .... if you like that kind of thing.

I don't "get" that we have had comments on the sound of a piano
recording being related to specific microphones and to specific makes
and models of piano and no comments on the influence of mic positioning.
Yes, it is a good piano, yes it is apparently - within what a youtube
allows - a good microphone, yes it is a good recording, but what makes
it "up front" is the mic position.

Dec [Cluskey] http://www.deccluskey.co.uk/blog

Kind regards

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:11:07 -0700 (PDT), "Dec [Cluskey]"
wrote:

On Jul 16, 5:19*pm, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 10:19:21 -0700, Les Cargill

Shame about the choice of music though - far too flashy. I could have

Don [way off thread?]

And isn't that odd ...

I found the choice amazing ... the audience reaction said it all ... I
will admit I had more than a tear in my eye ... 19 years of age ...
with that speed, perfection, technique and the 'feeling' ... the
interview with his teacher absolutely set the scene ... we knew it was
going to be special.

Maybe I'm just an old cynic, but those kind of crowd-pleasers always
irritate me.

The Janácek's Glagolitic Mass was quite mind blowing ... I just loved
the sweat on the musicians' brows ... and the sheer exhaustion on the
conductor's face at times. I have never seen that before. Stretched
to the limit in music could be said?

Now I'm with you - that was a tour de force. I hope it sets the tone
for the season.

Finally, I do feel the BBC sound team proved themselves to be the ones
to beat in the world ... I would love to have heard it in surround ...
I had my best studio earphones and that was something!

With all the foreign involvement coming up in the Proms I do feel it
was right to showcase the greatest British rising talent.

By the way, where did they get the piano from and where did they wheel
it to after his performance? A mystery of the Universe?

That is actually Sparky's magic piano. It just appears when needed.

Dec [Cluskey] http://www.deccluskey.co.uk/blog

PS: Guildfest tomorrow .... VIP tickets [my son runs it! Grin!]
With others, I hasten to add. What a line up. I shall be recording
this week's '4 Minutes on the Net with Dec' there ... hope the weather
is kind.

Trying to make me jealous, huh? Well it is working.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dec [Cluskey] Dec [Cluskey] is offline

On Jul 17, 2:27*am, Peter Larsen
wrote:
Why? - a large space tends to be good for voice!

, yes it is a good recording, but what makes
it "up front" is the mic position.

* *Peter Larsen

Peter

Why? - a large space tends to be good for voice!

Hmmmmmmmmm!

Not in my lifetime?????????? [grin!]

The greatest innovation in vocal recording has been the Red100 [from
Studiospares] which contains the voice even more in a vocal mic.
enclosure ... my vocal sound in my studio has always been tasty but
since using that it is now awesome.

I have now used it on acoustic guitar with stunning results.

no comments on the influence of mic positioning.

I did comment by saying the piano played by Benjamin Grosvenor at the
Albert Hall had a stereo pair high in the air at about ten feet ....
and indicating that that gave a stunning sound from the Steinway.

yes it is a good recording

But only in the sense that it was realistic ... but nowhere in the
ball game compared with modern day great commercial piano sounds.

Dec [Cluskey] http://www.deccluskey.co.uk/blog
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jul 17, 8:05*am, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:11:07 -0700 (PDT), "Dec [Cluskey]"
PS: *Guildfest tomorrow .... VIP tickets [my son runs it! *Grin!]
With others, I hasten to add. *What a line up. *I shall be recording
this week's '4 Minutes on the Net with Dec' there ... hope the weather
is kind.

Trying to make me jealous, huh? Well it is working.

Don [miles off thread again ... apologies to all]

Trying to make me jealous, huh? Well it is working.

Guilfest .... or rather the artists were so disappointing ....
'Amateur Night in Dixie' is an old phrase that comes to mind.

The sound was straight out of the 80's without the 'festival kick
drum' [as I call it]. At last Festivals have got rid of that horrible
all invasive booming kick. But, it was just like the sound presented
in Council run theatres up and down the UK. Fabulous equipment with a
mix so that you could hear every instrument you saw .... but
absolutely no excitemnt ... NO effects whatever [unbelievable?] ....
everything you heard was dry and small ...and the performing was just
as you see in any pub in the UK any Saturday night ... "just stand
there and sing".

For the first time in my life I just had to walk away.

The only small bit of excitment was Johnny Rotten [John Lydon] with
his band PIL ... looking nothing like the public expected .... he
looked like a Northern club singer in a cream suit ... at least he
used effect on his voice.

I would have to say, as I said on the night, give me manufactured,
commercial music any day of the week after that lot. My son had a
coupe ... he had last week's No. One DJ Fresh on his 'Funky end' dance
stage ... stunning. The biggest event of the weekend. Well done
Oliver. The only stage with a huge police and security presence.

Should see what I say in my '4 Minutes' this week.

The only good sound [and yet it was not up to the USA engineers of two
years ago] was in the rock tent .... I saw two guitar tricks I have
never seen before [and I always think I have seen everything] .... and
the performing was aggressive, in yer face, and explosive. 'Death of
Thieves' and 'Exit International' are bands to watch. One Welsh, one
English.

Dec [Cluskey] http://www.deccluskey.co.uk/blog
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 14:41:01 -0700 (PDT), "Dec [Cluskey]"
wrote:

[...]

Shame about the event, but well done to your boy. Now for a relaxing
evening; I think some coca and muffins, then some Death of Thieves
nice and low in the background....;=)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matti Matti is offline

wrote:
[...]

The vocal mic is the stereo Brauner http://www.brauner-microphones.de/en/products/vm1s/

Matti
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jul 19, 5:46*am, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 14:41:01 -0700 (PDT), "Dec [Cluskey]"
Shame about the event, but well done to your boy. Now for a relaxing
evening; I think some coca and muffins, then some Death of Thieves
nice and low in the background....;=)

Don

Death of Thieves
nice and low in the background

Hmmmm! Bed socks?

Just got news that another of our members has hit the big time .... he
reckons they are even wilder than 'Death of Thieves'.

We just hit #1 TOP PROGRESSIVE ARTIST USA TODAY!!!!
:O) I'm so excited, thanks for all of your help! :O)
Mark
420Shot30
http://www.myspace.com/music/charts/...ed-state/major

Mark has been working closely with me for a while now .... the hard
work is paying off.

Dec [Cluskey] http://www.deccluskey.co.uk/blog
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jul 19, 11:04*am, Matti wrote:
On Jul 19, 7:46*am, (Don Pearce) wrote:

The vocal mic is the stereo Braunerhttp://www.brauner-microphones.de/en/products/vm1s/

Matti- -

Matti

That is some classy beast ..... reminiscent of the AMS/NEVE/Calrec
Soundfield .... don't know how many they sold but PWL [Stock Aitkin
and Waterman] used one constantly through their big years .... in fact
they had two .... they were quadraphonic. Expensive......!!!!!!

My son in law [my brother's boy] was the chief European Sales boss at
that time.

Dec [Cluskey] http://www.deccluskey.co.uk/blog
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

wrote:
[...]

If I thought I could get away with it, I might rob a bank to get one of
those. g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matti Matti is offline

On Jul 19, 4:42*pm, "Dec [Cluskey]" wrote:
On Jul 19, 11:04*am, Matti wrote:

On Jul 19, 7:46*am, (Don Pearce) wrote:

The vocal mic is the stereo Braunerhttp://www.brauner-microphones.de/en/products/vm1s/

Matti- -

Matti

That is some classy beast ..... reminiscent of the AMS/NEVE/Calrec
Soundfield .... don't know how many they sold but PWL [Stock Aitkin
and Waterman] used one constantly through their big years .... in fact
they had two .... they were quadraphonic. * Expensive......!!!!!!

My son in law [my brother's boy] was the chief European Sales boss at
that time.

Dec [Cluskey] *http://www.deccluskey.co.uk/blog

http://www.soundfield.com/

Still in business, its a different concept than the Brauner which is a
normal stereo mic instead of B-Format like Soundfield.
The Bauner is not used as a stereo mic at all in the video, rather as
mono or both capsules to different tracks at different levels

Matti

Mtti

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jul 21, 11:50*pm, Matti wrote:

http://www.soundfield.com/

Still in business, its a different concept than the Brauner which is a

Matti

I used one to record the ambience/applause for a live album with my
band The Bachelors . Placed at the back of the venue it was quite
stunning ... the realism took your breath away.

Don't quite know what is happening with the AMS/Neve/Calrec
situation ... I hear all sorts of odd tales.

The AMS equipment was amazing in its time ... opened the door for all
high quality outboard FX ...I am told the original owner has re bought
the company. They are based up near my brother ... Hebden Bridge in
Yorkshire.

Dec [Cluskey] http://www.deccluskey.co.uk/blog

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Guido Martens Guido Martens is offline

Singer's mic seems a Brauner SM1 mic to me.
"Jason Warren" schreef in bericht
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Dec [Cluskey] wrote:

Why? - a large space tends to be good for voice!

Hmmmmmmmmm!

Not in my lifetime?????????? [grin!]

Being also a storyteller I think I can claim voice artist status, it is my
opinion in that capacity that a small room is not good because there is no
room for real voice dynamics in it.

The greatest innovation in vocal recording has been the Red100 [from
Studiospares] which contains the voice even more in a vocal mic.
enclosure ... my vocal sound in my studio has always been tasty but
since using that it is now awesome.

I have now used it on acoustic guitar with stunning results.

If you have suboptimal room sound then even using digital noise reduction
can help in spite of the horrors that happen to transients from it, I did
just that on a recent recording my grand nephew had made in a small room and
then added some "real" fake room instead.

no comments on the influence of mic positioning.

I did comment by saying the piano played by Benjamin Grosvenor at the
Albert Hall had a stereo pair high in the air at about ten feet ....
and indicating that that gave a stunning sound from the Steinway.

I will remember to read you with more care, thanks.

yes it is a good recording

But only in the sense that it was realistic ... but nowhere in the
ball game compared with modern day great commercial piano sounds.

It is in my opinion fair to make allowances for genre, I would - and have -
certainly mic a grand used for contemporary jazz quite differently from one
used in a piano quartett.