Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Getting supplies for cable construction

I need to build several cables of various lengths.
Most will have balanced 1/4" phone plug ends, so
I would like to select at a two-conductor cable
to do the job. I've had good luck with Belden in
the past, but they have so many cables, I need help
choosing a model number.

I don't have any shops near me that would sell something
like this, so I'm also looking for recommendations
on a store with a web front where I could order such
cable by the foot, along with decent quality stereo
1/4" phone plug ends, and also some RCA plugs.

Although I never see it, it seems a good idea to me
to use the same cable to run two RCA connections through.
I guess I'd have to work out the short bit between the end
of the cable and the RCS plugs.

Thanks,

Toby
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Tobiah wrote:
I need to build several cables of various lengths.
Most will have balanced 1/4" phone plug ends, so
I would like to select at a two-conductor cable
to do the job. I've had good luck with Belden in
the past, but they have so many cables, I need help
choosing a model number.

What do you want the cables for?

I don't have any shops near me that would sell something
like this, so I'm also looking for recommendations
on a store with a web front where I could order such
cable by the foot, along with decent quality stereo
1/4" phone plug ends, and also some RCA plugs.

Markertek is good. Gepco is not bad either although they carry their own
brand of cable only. They will also make premade cable assemblies up custom
for little more than the cost of the connectors.

Although I never see it, it seems a good idea to me
to use the same cable to run two RCA connections through.
I guess I'd have to work out the short bit between the end
of the cable and the RCS plugs.

Normal way to do this is for one lead to go to signal and one to ground,
then the shield is attached to the connector at one end and lifted on the
other. RCA connectors are pretty nasty and no fun to work on, although
the expensive Canare ones are probably the best of the set if you have to
use them.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 13:46:11 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Tobiah wrote:
I need to build several cables of various lengths. Most will have
balanced 1/4" phone plug ends, so I would like to select at a
two-conductor cable to do the job. I've had good luck with Belden in
the past, but they have so many cables, I need help choosing a model
number.

What do you want the cables for?

I need them to patch between an Audiofire8 and a Mackie mixer.
I also have a MidMIDI in the DAW that I have to run about 10 feet to.
I also want to replace all of the other plastic molded cables in
my setup. The RCA ends will be used in cases where I go to my audio amp,
or take output from some other equipment so outfitted.

Markertek is good. Gepco is not bad either although they carry their
own brand of cable only. They will also make premade cable assemblies
up custom for little more than the cost of the connectors.

When I look around, I usually see many types of cable at various prices
that look like they would do the job. I was hoping for a model number
(perhaps Belden) that is a favorite of those who have been there.

Thanks,

Toby

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Tobiah wrote:
On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 13:46:11 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

What do you want the cables for?

I need them to patch between an Audiofire8 and a Mackie mixer.
I also have a MidMIDI in the DAW that I have to run about 10 feet to.
I also want to replace all of the other plastic molded cables in
my setup. The RCA ends will be used in cases where I go to my audio amp,
or take output from some other equipment so outfitted.

So, it's all low-Z stuff with short runs where you don't really care about
ruggedness. Almost anything will be fine. Belden 8413 is cheap and common.
Gepco MP1022 is fine.

Markertek is good. Gepco is not bad either although they carry their
own brand of cable only. They will also make premade cable assemblies
up custom for little more than the cost of the connectors.

When I look around, I usually see many types of cable at various prices
that look like they would do the job. I was hoping for a model number
(perhaps Belden) that is a favorite of those who have been there.

Pick the one that is cheapest, 22 or 24 ga. and has a braid shield.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Tobiah wrote:
[...]

I recommend Gepco. I do so primarily because the owner of the company, Gary
Geppart, started his career as an apprentice at Paragon Studios in the late
60s, where I was a mixer and studio manager. Its the least I can do for
someone who worked very hard, while making practically nothing. Gary was
terrific and became a very good mixer, then he decided he wanted to make
some money, switched to manufacturer's rep for wire, followed by starting
his own company, because he wasn't getting the quality consistency he wanted
from suppliers he represented IIRC. I've always felt that I got great
advice from the Gepco guys and very well made cables.

Steve King

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Quintal Bob Quintal is offline

Tobiah wrote in news:MdGRp.23717$Z71.9436
@newsfe21.iad:

I need to build several cables of various lengths.
Most will have balanced 1/4" phone plug ends, so
I would like to select at a two-conductor cable
to do the job. I've had good luck with Belden in
the past, but they have so many cables, I need help
choosing a model number.

I don't have any shops near me that would sell something
like this, so I'm also looking for recommendations
on a store with a web front where I could order such
cable by the foot, along with decent quality stereo
1/4" phone plug ends, and also some RCA plugs.

Although I never see it, it seems a good idea to me
to use the same cable to run two RCA connections through.
I guess I'd have to work out the short bit between the end
of the cable and the RCS plugs.

Thanks,

Toby

It's not usually a good idea to run two unbalanced (RCA) circuits in
the same cable because of the high amount of crosstalk from one
channel to the other.

As to the specific cable, selection factors include things whether
you will be unrolling and rerolling the cable daily or hardly ever,
how flexible it needs to be as well as electrical properties.

Gepco XB201M and Belden 8412 are my favorite microphone cables.

--
Bob Q.
PA is y I've altered my address.

Cable construction and frequency? straightnut Pro Audio 16 March 13th 06 06:33 AM
Pad construction... Les Cargill Pro Audio 7 March 1st 06 06:22 AM
Help with New Construction Joe Tech 3 October 1st 05 01:30 AM
Investigations Into Cable Construction? Bob High End Audio 12 December 31st 04 04:12 PM
tube construction zzz Vacuum Tubes 1 December 6th 03 04:30 AM