Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Schoeps Mic Demo

In case you haven't seen this demo, check this out.

http://schoeps.de/showroom/

The demo is the best I've seen.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:

In case you haven't seen this demo, check this out.

http://schoeps.de/showroom/

The demo is the best I've seen.

The Piano: When I mike a piano for support, say in piano quartett context, I
use a single microphone at the far corner on the audience side aimed at the
high C, some 5 inches above the piano and outside it. Stereo imaging is
supplied by the main pair and the mic should be delayed so as to not "stick
out" nor "be echoic" and be panned to the piano center in the image from the
main pair.

The Quartett: when I photograph my setup the stand is closer to the ensemble
and the mics are higher. The Schoeps image has the mics out of the ensemble
focus and the image will be "loose", ab has hole in the middle and xy too
much reverb - ortf with MK21's is "almost there" - I think their theory of
not having the mics at the same distance from the sound source is broken.
Also they have aimed the mics horisontally at the rear wall, something that
courts sonic disaster in case it is too reflective, one more reason for
having the mics higher so that they can aim horisontally at the rear-most
musician and preferably no higher than where the stage floor meets the rear
wall.

Song: too close for classical, stay at least an arms length away, also an
easy message to convey to the talent. An onmi would have been nice.

Speak: they omitted an omni, very bad, it should be an option de rigeur. The
coloration issues demonstrate why. Also with "richtrohr" they change the
angle of incidence, that in itself leads to coloration.

Overall: yes, yes yes ... what a lot of nice equipment, but using different
equipment is to move the goalposts around on the playing field and they
should leave demonstrating their nice compressors to a compressor
illustration, especially as it is a showpiece demo of how NOT to deploy
since they influence/aggravate perceived coloration. Proper and documented
mic bass eq for miking distance had been more to the point of what this is
about: the recording setup.

Other than that: great idea, impressively well done and fatally flawed by
not maintaining cleanness of concept.

Thanks for posting!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

schoeps Nate Najar Pro Audio 4 February 24th 06 05:28 PM
schoeps Nate Najar Pro Audio 20 February 24th 06 04:08 AM
where to buy schoeps? Nate Najar Pro Audio 10 July 21st 05 08:29 PM
Schoeps dealer in Canada? Or, WTB:Schoeps Gord Pro Audio 2 April 26th 05 05:51 PM
FS Schoeps CMC 5 and MK4 giant nut Pro Audio 0 June 30th 04 03:26 PM