Matt

Default First home theater receiver purchase - Onkyo TX SR501or Kenwood KV-7070??

Hello everyone... I have been reading the postings of these
groups with great interest as I have prepared to purchase
a home theater system. I have two choices:

1. Onkyo TX SR501
2. Kenwood KV-7070

I am getting a very similar price (around $200) on both
receivers, so that is not an issue. Both are Dolby 6.1
systems. The Onkyo has 65 watts to each channel, the
Kenwood has 100. The Kenwood has THX Select, the Onkyo
does not have any THX. The Onkyo is generally well reviewed,
but I don't find alot of info on the Kenwood. In general,
the Kenwood seems like more receiver for the money, and
I have had Kenwood audio equipment for 15 years, so I
am a bit partial to it. However, I'm willing to go
with the Onkyo if the sound is better and not having
THX isn't too big a sacrifice. I certainly have read
mixed things here about whether or not THX is a big deal,
relative to DTS, which both of these receivers have.

The set up will be in a medium sized room, used mostly for
movies, and occasionally music.

If anyone has any advice, or comment on either or both of
these receiver, please post to the group. It is much
appreciated!

Thanks!

Matt
Frohike

"Matt" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I'd go with the Onkyo. My brother-in-law bought one and we set it up with
his PSB speakers. It was able to drive the Image 6Ts and the Subsonic 10 sub
pretty good. Movies and music sounded really warm and natural. The 5-channel
stereo is a blast. Setup is real easy via the front buttons. Don't worry
about the THX, it's not a big deal.

In alt.video.dvd Matt wrote:
} Hello everyone... I have been reading the postings of these
} groups with great interest as I have prepared to purchase
} a home theater system. I have two choices:
}
} 1. Onkyo TX SR501
} 2. Kenwood KV-7070
}
} I am getting a very similar price (around $200) on both
} receivers, so that is not an issue. Both are Dolby 6.1
} systems. The Onkyo has 65 watts to each channel, the
} Kenwood has 100.

Onkyo rates the amps with two channels driven (4 idle),
Kenwood rates the amps with one channel driven, but it's
even worse than that. The test results I've seen show
Onkyos drop about 10% with all channels driven and the
Kenwoods drop about 50%. So figure 60 watts/channel for the
Onkyo and 50 watts/channel for the Kenwood in real life.

} The Kenwood has THX Select, the Onkyo
} does not have any THX. The Onkyo is generally well reviewed,
} but I don't find alot of info on the Kenwood. In general,
} the Kenwood seems like more receiver for the money, and
} I have had Kenwood audio equipment for 15 years, so I
} am a bit partial to it. However, I'm willing to go
} with the Onkyo if the sound is better and not having
} THX isn't too big a sacrifice. I certainly have read
} mixed things here about whether or not THX is a big deal,
} relative to DTS, which both of these receivers have.

THX isn't a big deal. My Onkyo has it, but I'm not sure I
can hear the difference. I've been happy with my Onkyo. I
have a friend with a Kenwood that regrets it. It
periodically loses it's memory and has to be setup from
scratch. They just arn't in the same league.

--

Frank Ball
Joshua Zyber

"Matt" wrote in message
om...
Hello everyone... I have been reading the postings of these
groups with great interest as I have prepared to purchase
a home theater system. I have two choices:

1. Onkyo TX SR501
2. Kenwood KV-7070

If these are your only choices, I'll put in another vote for the Onkyo.

Les

I bought the Onkyo 601 last week and have been very happy with it.

--
Have a great day, except you spammers
To email, remove the obvious

"Matt" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Oblivion

If there's any way, buy the Onkyo TX SR601. It has a much more
flexible speaker selection system and bass management. I own the 501
and love it, but it just isn't as flexible as the 601.

On 7 Apr 2004 22:02:38 -0700, (Matt) wrotD:

Hello everyone... I have been reading the postings of these
groups with great interest as I have prepared to purchase
a home theater system. I have two choices:

1. Onkyo TX SR501
2. Kenwood KV-7070

Biz

Neither...

I highly recommend you look at the Yamaha and Denon offerings in your price
range. They are far superior products to the Kenwood or the Onkyo.
"Matt" wrote in message
om...
[...]

David B.

Biz wrote:

Neither...

I highly recommend you look at the Yamaha and Denon offerings in your price
range. They are far superior products to the Kenwood or the Onkyo.

We're talking two hundred dollars here. Would you please recommend
specific models that he can purchase from Yamaha or Denon that sell in
this price range and why these models are "far superior?" Thanks for
your efforts.

David