Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] frumpmyer@gmail.com is offline

Default Amperex 6SN7 ID?

I've some oddball Amperex 6SN7GTB was hoping someone could help me ID.
The boxes look quite legit, but I'm guessing they are counterfeits
because their pinout is not even the same as 6SN7. The heaters are on
2 and 7. Getter disc reminds me of Russian made stuff. Here are some
pics:br
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...-amperex/1.jpg
br
i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/arficus4yoy/tubes/6sn7gtb-amperex/
2.jpgbr
i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/arficus4yoy/tubes/6sn7gtb-amperex/
3.jpgbr
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
bigwig bigwig is offline

pics:brhttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17.../6sn7gtb-amper...
br
i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/arficus4yoy/tubes/6sn7gtb-amperex/
2.jpgbr
i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/arficus4yoy/tubes/6sn7gtb-amperex/
3.jpgbr

They dont even look Russian, although I could be wrong. They may be
Chinese. Are you sure they are 6SN7s. They do look very odd. Do they
test/work ok?.
One thing for sure they are not Amperex. They look to be a bit of a
mess, possibly rejects. Although the heater wiring cannot surely be
wrong, they must be something else re-labeled as 6SN7s. The getters
look to have been only partially fired.
Matt
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

I've some oddball Amperex 6SN7GTB was hoping someone could help me ID.
The boxes look quite legit, but I'm guessing they are counterfeits
because their pinout is not even the same as 6SN7. The heaters are on
2 and 7. Getter disc reminds me of Russian made stuff. Here are some
pics:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...-amperex/1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...-amperex/2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...-amperex/3.jpg

** Looks very much like a 6N7.

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0484.htm

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Phil Allison wrote:

I've some oddball Amperex 6SN7GTB was hoping someone
could help me ID.
The boxes look quite legit, but I'm guessing they are
counterfeits
because their pinout is not even the same as 6SN7. The
heaters are on
2 and 7. Getter disc reminds me of Russian made stuff.
Here are some
pics:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...-amperex/1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...-amperex/2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...-amperex/3.jpg

** Looks very much like a 6N7.

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0484.htm

Easy to check if cathodes are connected...looks like it in
the OP's second photo.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
PeterD PeterD is offline

On Tue, 5 May 2009 17:49:49 -0700 (PDT), bigwig
wrote:

On 5 May, 23:05, wrote:
[...]

Well, I'd look at your images but since the site you posted 'em on
requires logging on, that's not an option... Maybe find a better
picture host site? Also, your URLs are mangled badly and require
fixing by hand--this happens because you managed to try to post to
Usenet using HTML!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
PeterD PeterD is offline

On Wed, 6 May 2009 11:09:32 +1000, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

I've some oddball Amperex 6SN7GTB was hoping someone could help me ID.
The boxes look quite legit, but I'm guessing they are counterfeits
because their pinout is not even the same as 6SN7. The heaters are on
2 and 7. Getter disc reminds me of Russian made stuff. Here are some
pics:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...-amperex/1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...-amperex/2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...-amperex/3.jpg

** Looks very much like a 6N7.

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0484.htm

..... Phil

Thanks for the fixed URLs Phil... Agree with your comment, too. g
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
diamondsouled diamondsouled is offline

When a tube says "England" on it it is a counterfeit. Tubes made in
England usually say GT Britain.

Lar
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"diamondsouled"

When a tube says "England" on it it is a counterfeit. Tubes made in
England usually say GT Britain.

** More usually they say " Made in UK ".

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RS McCown RS McCown is offline

Lar wrote:
When a tube says "England" on it it is a counterfeit. Tubes made in
England usually say GT Britain.
----------
Brimar used "England."
A tube with an American designation where most British makers made other
tubes that were similar to, but not the same tube, having England on it
would not be unusual.
We've all seen the Russian etc... so the red flag goes up until you pin
it down.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
bigwig bigwig is offline

On 6 May, 02:09, "Phil Allison" wrote:

I've some oddball Amperex 6SN7GTB was hoping someone could help me ID.
The boxes look quite legit, but I'm guessing they are counterfeits
because their pinout is not even the same as 6SN7. The heaters are on
2 and 7. Getter disc reminds me of Russian made stuff. Here are some
pics:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17.../6sn7gtb-amper...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17.../6sn7gtb-amper...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17.../6sn7gtb-amper...

** Looks very much like a 6N7.

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0484.htm

..... * *Phil

Yep looks like it then, guess I was wrong about them not being
Russian. The tube on r-type is a Pinnacle badged job, I have a few
Pinnacle 6J5 that are Ruskie, not bad valves.
Matt.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Matt wrote:
They dont even look Russian, although I could be wrong. They may be
Chinese
----------
Richardson/National probably did it.
I don't know when exactly they bought the rights to use "Amperex" but it
appears they had em in 84!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
bigwig bigwig is offline

On 7 May, 00:10, (RS McCown) wrote:
Lar wrote:

When a tube says "England" on it it is a counterfeit. Tubes made in
England usually say GT Britain.
----------
Brimar used "England."
A tube with an American designation where most British makers made other
tubes that were similar to, but not the same tube, having England on it
would not be unusual.
We've all seen the Russian etc... so the red flag goes up until you pin
it down.

Agreed, What gets me is the glass pinch and the, well even that could
be fake date code.
Matt
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
bigwig bigwig is offline

On 7 May, 00:30, (RS McCown) wrote:
Matt wrote:

They dont even look Russian, although I could be wrong. They may be
Chinese
----------
Richardson/National probably did it.
I don't know when exactly they bought the rights to use "Amperex" but it
appears they had em in 84!

Looks like we are thinking along the same lines here;-)
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] frumpmyer@gmail.com is offline

On May 5, 6:09*pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
snip
** Looks very much like a 6N7.

snip

Yup, those are the beasts. They test as 6N7. Thanks for the help.
Ethan