Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danielle E Danielle E is offline

Default Livewire EXM25 Cables - No Strain Relief

I just came home with 2 XLR microphone cables that I will use as speaker
cables between a mixer and powered speakers.

After opening the package I see there is no strain relief between the heat
shrink and the Neutrik connectors. Although these are guaranteed for life
the lack of a visible strain relief is not giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Anyone familiar with these? Somehow this looks very odd to me.

Thanks in advance.

Danielle

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danielle E Danielle E is offline

They do look like this picture.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/docum...1095&ind ex=0

Danielle

"Danielle E" wrote in message
I just came home with 2 XLR microphone cables that I will use as speaker
cables between a mixer and powered speakers.

After opening the package I see there is no strain relief between the heat
shrink and the Neutrik connectors. Although these are guaranteed for life
the lack of a visible strain relief is not giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Anyone familiar with these? Somehow this looks very odd to me.

Thanks in advance.

Danielle

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Kotroczo Joe Kotroczo is offline

On 31/08/08 21:59, in article ,
"Danielle E" wrote:

I just came home with 2 XLR microphone cables that I will use as speaker
cables between a mixer and powered speakers.

After opening the package I see there is no strain relief between the heat
shrink and the Neutrik connectors. Although these are guaranteed for life
the lack of a visible strain relief is not giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Anyone familiar with these? Somehow this looks very odd to me.

Not sure what you actually see, but Neutrik XLR connectors have their strain
relief _inside_ the connector. It's a plastic part (called "chuck") that
tightens down onto the cable as you screw on the rear part of the connector
(called "bushing"). www.neutrik.com has tons of info.

You mention heat shrink... Is there heat shrink on your cables outside of
the connectors? Don't know why that would be necessary.

--
Joe Kotroczo

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Joe Kotroczo wrote:

You mention heat shrink... Is there heat shrink on your cables outside of
the connectors? Don't know why that would be necessary.

It's necessary because it has the cable manufacturer's name on it. Also
you can write on it so you know which channel is which. But it is not
intended for actual protection, no.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danielle E Danielle E is offline

This photo shows a little ribbed piece that appears to provide strain relief
that I don't see on the livewire EXM25 cable.

http://www.music123.com/item/expande.../247027jpg.jpg

Danielle

"Joe Kotroczo" wrote in message
On 31/08/08 21:59, in article ,
"Danielle E" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"Danielle E" wrote in message ...

This photo shows a little ribbed piece that appears to provide strain relief
that I don't see on the livewire EXM25 cable.

http://www.music123.com/item/expande.../247027jpg.jpg

Danielle

Remove a rear connector on your EXM cables and as Joe said earlier,
you *should* see the relief chuck underneath. There may not be one,
but I suspect the LiveWire has something. For a permanent installation
such as you describe, there's really no need for anything much more
than good solder joints and cable placement.

DM

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
Morgan Audio Media Service

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danielle E Danielle E is offline

I actually intend to use these for live use between my Soundcraft EFX8 mixer
and my JBL EON G2 speakers.

I did pull the black housing back and saw the relief chuck underneath that
you describe. For some reason the Mogami gold mike cables I use with my
microphones just seem to look better. But they were twice the price.

Thanks

Danielle

"David Morgan (MAMS)" /Odm wrote in message

"Danielle E" wrote in message

This photo shows a little ribbed piece that appears to provide strain
relief
that I don't see on the livewire EXM25 cable.

http://www.music123.com/item/expande.../247027jpg.jpg

Danielle

Remove a rear connector on your EXM cables and as Joe said earlier,
you *should* see the relief chuck underneath. There may not be one,
but I suspect the LiveWire has something. For a permanent installation
such as you describe, there's really no need for anything much more
than good solder joints and cable placement.

DM

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
Morgan Audio Media Service
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com
Dallas, Texas (214) 662-9901
_____________________________
http://www.januarysound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danielle E wrote:

I did pull the black housing back and saw the relief chuck underneath that
you describe. For some reason the Mogami gold mike cables I use with my
microphones just seem to look better. But they were twice the price.

What brand connectors did they use?

Just about everybody today uses either Neutrik or Switchcraft. Folks will
argue about which is better but they are both more or less about as rugged
in the long run.

Sometimes you'll find people using Amphenol connectors, made in Australia
at the old Cannon plant that was briefly owned by Alcatel. They are nice
too.

There are crappy Asian connectors out there, most of them knockoffs of the
Switchcraft design although some of them are knockoffs of the (now long
discontinued) Cannon design with two screws holding the cable clamped. In
general they are all to be avoided.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danielle E Danielle E is offline

Scott

Both cables use Neutrik connectors. Here's links to photos that show each
one.

Mogami
http://www.music123.com/item/expande.../247027jpg.jpg

Livewire

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Danielle E wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danielle E wrote:

Both cables use Neutrik connectors. Here's links to photos that show each
one.

Mogami
http://www.music123.com/item/expande.../247027jpg.jpg

Livewire
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/docum...1095&ind ex=0

Sorry, I have no web access. If they are the same series of connector,
what's the difference?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danielle E Danielle E is offline

The part on the Mongomi cable that covers the cable has a rubber (or similar
material) end that flexes. It narrows to the cable diameter (almost) where
the cable comes out of the assembly. There's actually two sleeve like parts
covering the cable end. A hard plastic near the connector and then the
softer rubber ribbed piece.

The sleeve piece (one piece) one on the Livewire is a hardplastic. There's
a large gap around the cable where the cable exits the connector assembly.
It does not support the cable where it exits the complete connector
assembly.

Danielle E wrote:

Both cables use Neutrik connectors. Here's links to photos that show each
one.

Mogami
http://www.music123.com/item/expande.../247027jpg.jpg

Livewire
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/docum...1095&ind ex=0

Sorry, I have no web access. If they are the same series of connector,
what's the difference?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danielle E wrote:
The part on the Mongomi cable that covers the cable has a rubber (or similar
material) end that flexes. It narrows to the cable diameter (almost) where
the cable comes out of the assembly. There's actually two sleeve like parts
covering the cable end. A hard plastic near the connector and then the
softer rubber ribbed piece.

That's part of the connector.

The sleeve piece (one piece) one on the Livewire is a hardplastic. There's
a large gap around the cable where the cable exits the connector assembly.
It does not support the cable where it exits the complete connector
assembly.

That's also part of the connector. Look on the Neutrik website and you
should see the two different connectors listed there.

Both are pretty good.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Danielle E wrote:
This photo shows a little ribbed piece that appears to provide strain relief
that I don't see on the livewire EXM25 cable.

Unscrew the back shell (you may need two pairs of pliers for this) and
take the connector apart. You should see the strain relief.

Alternately, try yanking the cable out of the connector as hard as you
think it might ever experience. Put your foot on the connector and pull
on the wire. If it pulls out, return it for replacement under the
"guarantee for life." If you can pull it apart very easily, return them
and buy a different brand.

I think you'll find the cables to be satisfactory unless you plan to tow
a trailer with them.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danielle E wrote:
The part on the Mongomi cable that covers the cable has a rubber (or similar
material) end that flexes. It narrows to the cable diameter (almost) where
the cable comes out of the assembly.

The sleeve piece (one piece) one on the Livewire is a hardplastic.

Neutrik has so many variations (seems like they come out with one and
drop another every few months) that it's hard to buy assembled cables
from different manufacturers or the same manufacturer at different times
and expect to see the same construction. I think Livewire is one of
Guitar Center's house brands (at least that's the only place I've seen
them) so they're probably cheap, high profit cables, but serviceable and
will last with reasonable use and abuse.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keith Keith is offline

On Sep 1, 5:59*am, "Danielle E" wrote:
I just came home with 2 XLR microphone cables that I will use as speaker
cables between a mixer and powered speakers.

I am not sure of your situation but I like the right-angle designed
connectors. Neutrik has has an RX series of these with 'improved
chuck-type' strain relief 'as part of their specifications. A 90
degree design allows the cable to hang down neatly rather than
'droop' ,seems to get it out of the way of tripping accidents and most
importantly the 90 deg.design gives it a solid 'handle' to withdraw
and insert.
Funny,the web-site says 'lifetime- 1000 mating cycles'. On a thread
years ago I was discussing this in connection with our Church practice
to regularly connect/disconnect(mating cycle sounds better!) choir and
table mics. 20 yrs is over the 1000 cycles!

Keith

Spam Relief Steve King Pro Audio 6 April 9th 08 04:24 PM
Powerful Relief TMJ Pain Techniques [email protected] Pro Audio 0 May 13th 06 06:28 PM
FA: PreSonus ACP-88 100% goes to Katrina relief John L Rice Pro Audio 3 September 19th 05 03:08 AM
Hurricane relief sale: two MOTU 1224's w/ PCI 324 card Tom Sullivan Pro Audio 34 September 7th 05 11:49 PM