Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes
JP JP is offline

Default FA: Sencore LC53 Z Meter with Probe and AC Cord # 260388540185

Put this on Ebay. Real clean unit. It works although I didn't have it
long enough to figure out how to use the coil tester stuff. I bought a
package deal and am separating it up to try and help cover the LC102 I
just bought. If you want to send it in for calibration, Goggle Sioux
Falls on AGA. A tech there just gave out the addy for a company where
this was made that does repairs and calibration a week or so ago.
It is double bubbled and then packed in a larger sturdy box full of
peanuts. Your choice of shipping. Pics show measuring a 100uf
electrolytic cap and set up to do reforming (can take and hour). I
used it to reform that same 100uf cap in just a few minutes. Watch for
an ESR meter, manuals, field calibration unit for the LC53, and other
stuff this week...Thanks for reading Ebay #260388540185
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes
JP JP is offline

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 00:09:07 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Apr 6, 7:15 am, JP wrote:
Put this on Ebay. Real clean unit. It works although I didn't have it
long enough to figure out how to use the coil tester stuff. I bought a
package deal and am separating it up to try and help cover the LC102 I
just bought. If you want to send it in for calibration, Goggle Sioux
Falls on AGA. A tech there just gave out the addy for a company where
this was made that does repairs and calibration a week or so ago.
It is double bubbled and then packed in a larger sturdy box full of
peanuts. Your choice of shipping. Pics show measuring a 100uf
electrolytic cap and set up to do reforming (can take and hour). I
used it to reform that same 100uf cap in just a few minutes. Watch for
an ESR meter, manuals, field calibration unit for the LC53, and other
stuff this week...Thanks for reading Ebay #260388540185

This is not the tool for reforming lytics. A bench HV supply with a
limiting resistor or a homemade transformer rectifier and light bulb
current limiter (and the resistor) work MUCH better. The Z Meter is
good for finding bad large value LV lytics and RF coils in switcher
supplies, but NOT HV lytics, HV mica or oil caps or big iron core
inductors. Like most Sencore pieces it is fairly cheaply built and
optimized for TV/VCR guys.

According to the manual it reforms caps.That's my best answer.So where
is the drawing ro schematic of what you are talking about since I am
selling this one?
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] boardjunkie@techie.com is offline

wrote:

On Apr 6, 7:15 am, JP wrote:
[...]

selling this one?- Hide quoted text -

*It will reform caps but to what voltage?? And it's a very expensive
way to reform caps when all you need is a DC bench supply, commercial
or homebrew. The supply does not need to be regulated or quiet and may
put out almost no current.

*Also to reform lytics you want to warm them up to a higher
temperature. So add on a heat lamp or a box with a light bulb in it.- Hide quoted text -

I have 2 LC77s and they *will* reform lytics up to 1000vdc. Its just a
PITA beacause you have to use the handle to hold the little plunger
thing against the "leakage" button.

***DO NOT*** heat up caps *while reforming*. Its fine to heat them
before to rejuvinate the electrolyte, but let them cool to room temp
before attempting to reform.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

JP wrote:
According to the manual it reforms caps.That's my best answer.So where
is the drawing ro schematic of what you are talking about since I am
selling this one?

It does, but it's not a really good way to reform caps.

Here is a schematic, though you must have a fixed-width font to see it:

+-----)(--------+
| YOUR CAP |
| |
| o--------)-------+
| / \ | |
+--o/+ -\o----+ |
\ / |
\ / 1kv bridge |
o 1K ohm
| or more
| 1W or so
| 115vac .2a |
+uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu+
==================
+mmmmmmmmmmm+-------------------/ |=
| on off ( |
+-------------------o/ o--------\_l= 117vac

The transformer output should be maybe half to 3/4 the rated voltage on the
capacitor. This is really just the front end of a power supply with an
enormously high value current limiting resistor so that the cap gets charged
up much more slowly than it normally would in a power supply application.

You can put a load shunt resistor across the cap if you want it to charge up
even more slowly and if you want to reduce the maximum voltage it charges up
to.

You can alternatively take the attitude that if a cap needs to be reformed
it should probably be replaced instead.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes
JP JP is offline

wrote:

On Apr 6, 7:15 am, JP wrote:
[...]

It will go to 600 volts..thanks for the lamo idea...I'll try it..

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes
JP JP is offline

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 06:41:33 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

wrote:

On Apr 6, 7:15 am, JP wrote:
[...]

The LC53 goes to 600 volts...thanks for the advice on the heating
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes
JP JP is offline

On 8 Apr 2009 10:36:27 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

JP wrote:
According to the manual it reforms caps.That's my best answer.So where
is the drawing ro schematic of what you are talking about since I am
selling this one?

It does, but it's not a really good way to reform caps.

Here is a schematic, though you must have a fixed-width font to see it:

+-----)(--------+
| YOUR CAP |
| |
| o--------)-------+
| / \ | |
+--o/+ -\o----+ |
\ / |
\ / 1kv bridge |
o 1K ohm
| or more
| 1W or so
| 115vac .2a |
+uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu+
==================
+mmmmmmmmmmm+-------------------/ |=
| on off ( |
+-------------------o/ o--------\_l= 117vac

The transformer output should be maybe half to 3/4 the rated voltage on the
capacitor. This is really just the front end of a power supply with an
enormously high value current limiting resistor so that the cap gets charged
up much more slowly than it normally would in a power supply application.

You can put a load shunt resistor across the cap if you want it to charge up
even more slowly and if you want to reduce the maximum voltage it charges up
to.

You can alternatively take the attitude that if a cap needs to be reformed
it should probably be replaced instead.
--scott

The manual states that the Sencore uses very low amperage to reform
caps...maybe micro amps IIRC...don't see the difference except that it
adjusts with a switchinstead of hacing to swap out components and
rebuild a power supply for each value...and has a readout to show you
when the caps is "done" ...just my 2 cents...
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes
JP JP is offline

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 21:23:21 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Apr 8, 9:36*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
JP wrote:
According to the manual it reforms caps.That's my best answer.So where
is the drawing ro schematic of what you are talking about since I am
selling this one?

It does, but it's not a really good way to reform caps.

Here is a schematic, though you must have a fixed-width font to see it:

* +-----)(--------+
* | * YOUR CAP * *|
* | * * * * * * * |
* | * * *o--------)-------+
* | * * / \ * * * | * * * |
* +--o/+ * -\o----+ * * * |
* * * \ * * / * * * * * * |
* * * * \ / * 1kv bridge *|
* * * * *o * * * * * * * * * 1K ohm
* * * * *| * * * * * * * * * or more
* * * * *| * * * * * * * * * *1W or so
* * * * *| * *115vac .2a *|
* * * * *+uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu+
* * * * *==================
* * * * * * +mmmmmmmmmmm+-------------------/ |=
* * * * * * | * * * * * * * * on off * * * ( *|
* * * * * * +-------------------o/ o--------\_l= *117vac

The transformer output should be maybe half to 3/4 the rated voltage on the
capacitor. *This is really just the front end of a power supply with an
enormously high value current limiting resistor so that the cap gets charged
up much more slowly than it normally would in a power supply application.

You can put a load shunt resistor across the cap if you want it to charge up
even more slowly and if you want to reduce the maximum voltage it charges up
to. *

You can alternatively take the attitude that if a cap needs to be reformed
it should probably be replaced instead. *

Caps must be formed once when new and then reform themselves
continually in use. Many lytics five or ten years old work great for a
decade or two if properly reformed. All you need is a high value
resistance in series basically.

I hate ASCII schematics but if you can't picture a standard half wave
or bridge rectifier off a secondary and a resistor you are in the
wrong business. I like to mount a salvage plate and filament
transformer-ones out of TV shops for old color TVs, bad for audio
because the B+ is too high and not enough current, are fine-in a dead
PC power supply metal box with a rectifier and jacks before and after
for DC or AC. You can put a filter cap inside the box after the
rectifier. Use with a Variac for convenient use. Add a series socket
for lightbulb current limiting and a shorting switch to taste, but
always a fuse on the primary.

Sencore manual says using bridge for measuring isn't right way for DC
measurements...I am assuning they know what they are talking
about...there's a LC102 manual on BAMA...might want to check it out
just for the fun of it..
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes
JP JP is offline

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 21:24:31 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have 2 LC77s and they *will* reform lytics up to 1000vdc. Its just a
PITA beacause you have to use the handle to hold the little plunger
thing against the "leakage" button.

Talk about a mickeymouse arrangement! Then again we ARE talking
Sencore, not HP or Tek.

That ASCII schematic wasn't exactly a Visio either...there are digital
groups for binaries..
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes

JP wrote:

How come every time I post some FA that there is always some know it
all that has some **** to say about it trying to queer the sale?.

Auction and for sale are not allowed on the sci.electronis
newsgroups. A seperate newsgroup was created at the same time for those
listings. It is: news:misc.industry.electronics.marketplace

As far as people giving you a load of crap for ugnoring the charter
for these groups? Good for them.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes

JP wrote:
According to the manual it reforms caps.That's my best answer.So where
is the drawing ro schematic of what you are talking about since I am
selling this one?

It does, but it's not a really good way to reform caps.

Here is a schematic, though you must have a fixed-width font to see it:

+-----)(--------+
| YOUR CAP |
| |
| o--------)-------+
| / \ | |
+--o/+ -\o----+ |
\ / |
\ / 1kv bridge |
o 1K ohm
| or more
| 1W or so
| 115vac .2a |
+uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu+
==================
[...]

adjusts with a switchinstead of having to swap out components and
rebuild a power supply for each value...and has a readout to show you
when the caps is "done" ...just my 2 cents...

Keep digging a hole. The basic circuit shown is just one way to
reform electrolytics. A better circuit uses a Variac before the
transformer to let you set it anywhere you want it, and use a resistor
to limit the current to the desired range. A mA or uA meter in series
with the negative lead to monitor the current. its been done that way
from the first days of manufacturing electrolytics.

BTW, have you ever USED the Sencore LCR bridge for actual work? I
have. I have also used HP. The only 'feature' the Sencore meter had
was the ability to measure ESR. You can buy a kit to do the same thing
for about $60, or 'roll your own' for $5.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes
JP JP is offline

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 09:11:49 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

:misc.industry.electronics.marketplace

**** you Terrell! Crawl back into your hooch and shut the **** up
private!
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes
JP JP is offline

JP wrote:
According to the manual it reforms caps.That's my best answer.So where
is the drawing ro schematic of what you are talking about since I am
selling this one?

It does, but it's not a really good way to reform caps.

Here is a schematic, though you must have a fixed-width font to see it:

+-----)(--------+
| YOUR CAP |
| |
| o--------)-------+
| / \ | |
+--o/+ -\o----+ |
\ / |
\ / 1kv bridge |
o 1K ohm
| or more
| 1W or so
| 115vac .2a |
+uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu+
==================
[...]

Oh thank you for your infinate knowledge there dumb ass...Caps are
used in two different circuits and are tested different for DC than
AC...and I am well aware that manufacturers use a bridge...so ****ing
what? You have never had something to say to me other than mean
mouthed bull****. So go back to the glory hole cafe and get lost
asshole!

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes
JP JP is offline

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 09:25:47 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

I have 2 LC77s and they *will* reform lytics up to 1000vdc. Its just a
PITA beacause you have to use the handle to hold the little plunger
thing against the "leakage" button.

Talk about a mickeymouse arrangement! Then again we ARE talking
Sencore, not HP or Tek.

So, you think HP or Tektronix would leave a pair of clip leads
powered with up to 700 VDC available for someone to get shocked? MORON.

They won't risk the liability and Sencore doesn't, either. Sencore
is not laboratory grade equipment, it is made for repair work. That is
a market that HP and Tektronix has almost always priced themselves out
of. The Sencore equipment was designed to be carried on a service
truck, or to take as baggage on a plane to the customer's site to get
equipment back on line.

Like you knwo what the **** you are talking about..**** you
Terriorist!
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

So, you think HP or Tektronix would leave a pair of clip leads
powered with up to 700 VDC available for someone to get shocked? MORON.

No, but GenRad did. I have a ZM-11/U around here somewhere and you can
get a pretty nasty shock off the bridge output if it's set to balance
charged caps. You can also blow up low voltage caps if you try and measure
them too, unfortunately....
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

So, you think HP or Tektronix would leave a pair of clip leads
powered with up to 700 VDC available for someone to get shocked? MORON.

No, but GenRad did. I have a ZM-11/U around here somewhere and you can
get a pretty nasty shock off the bridge output if it's set to balance
charged caps. You can also blow up low voltage caps if you try and measure
them too, unfortunately....

How many years has General Radio been out of business? One of the
regulars on the sci.electronics.* groups was an EE there, and has told
similar stories of bad design practices.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!