Posted to rec.audio.high-end
George Graves George Graves is offline

Default Stereophonic Realism - a Tautology

In article ,
ScottW wrote:

On Apr 26, 4:27 am, "Gary Eickmeier" wrote:
ScottW wrote:
On Apr 24, 7:17 pm, Audio_Empire wrote:
Now with cardioids , they have a directional
attribute in their pick-up pattern.

How does one differentiate in a cardiod output from a quiet sound
coming into the front (sensitive area) and a loud sound coming =

from
the side?

Amplitude itself is not sufficient to provide a realistic 3D.

You missed the point of AE's post. He wasn't saying that the =

cardioid
pattern has anything to do with the stereo. Just talking in general =

about
directivity in microphones.

=20
So it was a nice informative obfuscation? I'd still appreciate an
answer to the question.

Trying to explain to someone how two cardioid mikes pick-up stereo is =
obfuscation? Well, pardon me for living! I think this question has been =
answered satisfactorily for most people.

I'll leave the claim that all close mic'd, studio recordings, etc. =

are
not in fact stereo recordings....as an opinion based upon ancient
greek language.

Another misunderstanding. It's a long story.

The common modern use of the word as a noun to name a recording or =

playback system....stereo means two channels.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...british/stereo

I don't care what somebody's dictionary says.

=20
Then you decline to accept the meaning of the word in current
society.
=20
Words can..and do change meaning.
=20
The word means a field-type
auditory perspective system.
Width, height, and depth in the reproduction of a multi-channel =

recording.
The Bell Labs had three channels to do the same job. We now have 5. =

You
could have one channel per instrument and arrange them on your own
soundstage and it would still be "stereophonic." You could compose a =

piece
for ten loudspeakers, a piece that was never performed in any other =

space,
and it would still be stereophonic if it could be portrayed with =

more than
one channel and present a width, depth, and height to the =

presentation of
the sounds.

Live music is stereophonic, unless you are listening from the next =

room.

Technically the "stereo" part means solid, all three axes. The =

"phonic" part
means on loudspeakers.

On the other system, binaural, the "bi" part means two. The "aural" =

part
means ears. We have binaural and monaural, or one eared. Monophonic =

would be
one loudspeaker. But it would still be mono if it was played on two
loudspeakers, if the music came from just one channel. Mono sound =

presented
on headphone would be idiotic. All of these terms were defined by =

the
pioneers from Bell Labs, and then later forgotten.

=20
Some people think words are defined by some forgotten use...others
think they are defined by their current use in society as recorded by
dictionaries...like cambridge.

First of all, there's nothing "forgotten" about real stereo. Many record =
companies still record that way, but usually, mostly for classical =
music. Scott have you ever even heard a real stereo recording played =
back on a decent system? It sure doesn't seem so.=20
=20