user

Default "convert" antenna for clock radio?

Possible to convert/translate/connect the single wire
"antenna" of my clock radio to a "regular" antenna
of any sort?
Barry Mann

In , on 03/09/04
at 10:59 PM, user said:

Possible to convert/translate/connect the single wire
"antenna" of my clock radio to a "regular" antenna
of any sort?

Does the original antenna attach to a connector of some sort? If so, is
there any mention of "75" or "300"? If there are two screws and a
mention of "300", then you could connect a pair of rabbit ears to those
terminals.

You will achieve best antenna performance if you pick an antenna that
matches your radio's "75" or "300" (the most common choices), However
.... One point to consider is that the clock radio performance is
marginal at best. If you succeded at properly connecting a good
antenna, the radio may be overloaded and misbehave. (there won't be any
physical damage, but, overall, you could be worse off than you are now)

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Gary A. Edelstein

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 22:59:31 GMT, user wrote:

Possible to convert/translate/connect the single wire
"antenna" of my clock radio to a "regular" antenna
of any sort?

If it's a single wire coming out of the radio and no screw connectors,
then it's 75 ohm and you could look at adding a longer wire, hooking
up a single rod antenna to it or hooking it to the center of a 75 to
300 ohm transformer (probably a few dollars at Radio Shack) and
hooking up rabbit ears to the 300 ohm end of the transformer.

Gary E

|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

On 2004-03-10, Gary A Edelstein wrote:
On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 22:59:31 GMT, user wrote:

Possible to convert/translate/connect the single wire
"antenna" of my clock radio to a "regular" antenna
of any sort?

If it's a single wire coming out of the radio and no screw connectors,
then it's 75 ohm and you could look at adding a longer wire, hooking
up a single rod antenna to it or hooking it to the center of a 75 to
300 ohm transformer (probably a few dollars at Radio Shack) and
hooking up rabbit ears to the 300 ohm end of the transformer.

Gary E

Thank you very much!!!

It is a single wire coming out of the case & I do have a 75 to 300
sitting around somewhere & a dipole wire antenna, unless I had thrown
it away when doing some cleaning.

p.s. what wire size to splice to the wire antenna? the antenna wire
looks very small.
lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

John Fields

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:29:30 -0600, Gary A. Edelstein
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 22:59:31 GMT, user wrote:

Possible to convert/translate/connect the single wire
"antenna" of my clock radio to a "regular" antenna
of any sort?

If it's a single wire coming out of the radio and no screw connectors,
then it's 75 ohm and you could look at adding a longer wire, hooking
up a single rod antenna to it or hooking it to the center of a 75 to
300 ohm transformer (probably a few dollars at Radio Shack) and
hooking up rabbit ears to the 300 ohm end of the transformer.

---
If it's a single wire coming out of the radio I can't imagine why you'd
think it's 75 ohms.

--
John Fields

lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

Gary A. Edelstein

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 22:59:31 GMT, user wrote:

Possible to convert/translate/connect the single wire
"antenna" of my clock radio to a "regular" antenna
of any sort?

If it's a single wire coming out of the radio and no screw connectors,
then it's 75 ohm and you could look at adding a longer wire, hooking
up a single rod antenna to it or hooking it to the center of a 75 to
300 ohm transformer (probably a few dollars at Radio Shack) and
hooking up rabbit ears to the 300 ohm end of the transformer.

Gary E

|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Gary A. Edelstein

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 22:59:31 GMT, user wrote:

Possible to convert/translate/connect the single wire
"antenna" of my clock radio to a "regular" antenna
of any sort?

If it's a single wire coming out of the radio and no screw connectors,
then it's 75 ohm and you could look at adding a longer wire, hooking
up a single rod antenna to it or hooking it to the center of a 75 to
300 ohm transformer (probably a few dollars at Radio Shack) and
hooking up rabbit ears to the 300 ohm end of the transformer.

Gary E

|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Gary A. Edelstein

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 22:59:31 GMT, user wrote:

Possible to convert/translate/connect the single wire
"antenna" of my clock radio to a "regular" antenna
of any sort?

If it's a single wire coming out of the radio and no screw connectors,
then it's 75 ohm and you could look at adding a longer wire, hooking
up a single rod antenna to it or hooking it to the center of a 75 to
300 ohm transformer (probably a few dollars at Radio Shack) and
hooking up rabbit ears to the 300 ohm end of the transformer.

Gary E

|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Gary A. Edelstein