U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

Default All On One (Electrical) Leg?

I'm in the midst of getting my room wired. I've read that "everything
in the studio should be on the same electrical leg."

Welp, if you're a commercial facility, you pay not only for the power
you consume, but ALSO for your power factor and for phase imbalances,
both of which cost the power company extra money.

So do commercial facilities really wire all their audio on one
electrical leg? Do they break it out by rooms to maintain phase
balance? Is this really necessary?

It'd be simple to wire my room "on one leg" but I'm wondering whether or
not it's truly necessary with properly grounded equipment.

Scott Dorsey

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles wrote:

I'm in the midst of getting my room wired. I've read that "everything
in the studio should be on the same electrical leg."

Welp, if you're a commercial facility, you pay not only for the power
you consume, but ALSO for your power factor and for phase imbalances,
both of which cost the power company extra money.

So do commercial facilities really wire all their audio on one
electrical leg? Do they break it out by rooms to maintain phase
balance? Is this really necessary?

It's not really necessary, but it makes things a lot easier. And in a
typical commercial facility, you'll find also that the studio electronics
are actually a fairly small part of the total load. The air conditioning
system usually dwarfs the actual electronics load.

It'd be simple to wire my room "on one leg" but I'm wondering whether or
not it's truly necessary with properly grounded equipment.

It is totally unnecessary with properly grounded equipment.
The chances that everything in a given studio will be properly grounded is
pretty close to zero. It helps to carefully design a signal grounding
system, but some gear will still need modification to get rid of pin 1
stupidity on the part of the manufacturer.

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On 12 Jul 2004 11:46:44 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:
U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles wrote:

[...]

Ahh . . good point. Thanks

Raymond

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles wrote:

I'm in the midst of getting my room wired. I've read that "everything
in the studio should be on the same electrical leg."

It's more like all your recording gear on the same circuit breaker. And all
else on other breaker(s), like Scott stated, hi voltage stuff like AC units and
most every other major appliance in your home should not be on the same lead as
your recording gear. You will also want to remember the guitar amps, etc., that
will be in your studio.

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On 12 Jul 2004 17:37:04 GMT, Raymond wrote:
U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles wrote:

I'm in the midst of getting my room wired. I've read that "everything
in the studio should be on the same electrical leg."

It's more like all your recording gear on the same circuit breaker.
And all else on other breaker(s), like Scott stated, hi voltage stuff
like AC units and most every other major appliance in your home should
not be on the same lead as your recording gear. You will also want to
remember the guitar amps, etc., that will be in your studio.

Major appliances in my house run off both legs. . . . (220~240)

But I'll definitly watch the fridge outlets.

Laurence Payne

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:39:02 GMT, "U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles" "Charles
wrote:

I'm in the midst of getting my room wired. I've read that "everything
in the studio should be on the same electrical leg."

Welp, if you're a commercial facility, you pay not only for the power
you consume, but ALSO for your power factor and for phase imbalances,
both of which cost the power company extra money.

So do commercial facilities really wire all their audio on one
electrical leg? Do they break it out by rooms to maintain phase
balance? Is this really necessary?

It'd be simple to wire my room "on one leg" but I'm wondering whether or
not it's truly necessary with properly grounded equipment.

This is the US system, where everyone gets 240 volts but for many
purposes only uses half of it?

Do you also have the option of a multi-phase 240v supply, where
greater power is required? This is "in the street" in most UK areas,
but normally only wired into industrial premises. Domestic users get
one phase only.

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

wrote:

It'd be simple to wire my room "on one leg" but I'm wondering whether or
not it's truly necessary with properly grounded equipment.

This is the US system, where everyone gets 240 volts but for many
purposes only uses half of it?

Do you also have the option of a multi-phase 240v supply, where
greater power is required? This is "in the street" in most UK areas,
but normally only wired into industrial premises. Domestic users get
one phase only.

Not on my street, no. Think I can convince my wife to move a couple
blocks?

mr c deckard

This is the US system, where everyone gets 240 volts but for many
purposes only uses half of it?

you get 240 on two wires with a neutral (tied to earth). the two 240
wires are balanced -- 180degs out, or opposite polarity, and each wire
to neutral is 120v. in a typical breaker box, every other breaker is
on the same phase, or leg. this means that a 240v breaker takes two
spaces, and 3-wire circuits (where two circuits share the same neutral
wire) are on adjacent breakers so each circuit is on opposing legs as
well.

never quite understood 3-phase. always wondered if that meant each
line was 120degs out from the other. used mainly for industrial
motors, so i always guessed it made sense for induction motors where
the rotor had three coils or something something. . . won't mess with
that until that 3-phase capstan motor arrives for the tape deck . . .

cheers,
chris deckard
saintlouis mo

Do you also have the option of a multi-phase 240v supply, where
greater power is required? This is "in the street" in most UK areas,
but normally only wired into industrial premises. Domestic users get
one phase only.

Scott Dorsey

mr c deckard wrote:

never quite understood 3-phase. always wondered if that meant each
line was 120degs out from the other. used mainly for industrial
motors, so i always guessed it made sense for induction motors where
the rotor had three coils or something something. . .

Bingo. It's a good thing for a number of reasons, most notably easier
motor starting. But you can get 3-phase power and break it down into
three 120V legs if you need 120V power.

won't mess with
that until that 3-phase capstan motor arrives for the tape deck . . .

The Uher 4000 actually has a 3-phase capstan motor driven by an oscillator
with two low-pass filters that act as phase shift networks to give you
nice stable three-phase from a reference that stays accurate as the line
voltage from the battery changes (for the most part). Some of the Nagra
machines used six-phase motors, even.

Noel Bachelor

On or about 13 Jul 2004 19:52:02 -0400, Scott Dorsey allegedly wrote:

mr c deckard wrote:

never quite understood 3-phase. always wondered if that meant each
line was 120degs out from the other. used mainly for industrial
motors, so i always guessed it made sense for induction motors where
the rotor had three coils or something something. . .

Bingo. It's a good thing for a number of reasons, most notably easier
motor starting.

And reversing. Swap two phases, and the motor goes the other way.

With 240V on each leg, the peak across two legs is 2*Sin(60)x240V or
415Volts, which is what 3 phase power is commonly called here.

Noel Bachelor noelbachelorAT(From:_domain)
Language Recordings Inc (Darwin Australia)