Matt

Default XLR cable in on tascam interface is overloading signal

I have a tascam US224 usb interface. Connected to its two XLR ins is a
Yamaha MG16/4 mixer. This Mixer has two main output options: XLR or
1/4". I figure it makes no sense to convert an already balanced signal
from a mic plugged into the mixer into an unbalanced signal to send to
the recording. But whenever I use the XLR cable, I have to run my mic
levels extremely low in order to avoid overloading the signal on the
tascam. Both the mixer out and Tascam in are +4dB handling, so there's
no mismatch there, and the gain levels are at no high level on the
mixer. As a matter of fact, in order to keep from clipping, I've had
to turn the trims on the Tascam ALL the way down—and sometimes it
STILL clips. Any clue?
Arny Krueger

"Matt" wrote in message
om
I have a tascam US224 usb interface. Connected to its two XLR ins is a
Yamaha MG16/4 mixer. This Mixer has two main output options: XLR or
1/4". I figure it makes no sense to convert an already balanced signal
from a mic plugged into the mixer into an unbalanced signal to send to
the recording. But whenever I use the XLR cable, I have to run my mic
levels extremely low in order to avoid overloading the signal on the
tascam.

The XLR inputs are mic inputs, not line inputs.

The 1/4 inputs are balanced, line level inputs when the front panel
Mic/line-Gtr switch is in the Mic/line position. These are the proper inputs
for the output of a mixer.

Both the mixer out and Tascam in are +4dB handling, so there's
no mismatch there, and the gain levels are at no high level on the
mixer.

Applying a line level input to a mic input is a GROSS mismatch.

As a matter of fact, in order to keep from clipping, I've had
to turn the trims on the Tascam ALL the way down-and sometimes it
STILL clips. Any clue?

RTFM.

http://www.tascam.com/products/US-22...224_manual.pdf

Mike Dobony

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Matt" wrote in message
om
[...]

Yup. Easiest thing to do is either buy or build a PAD. Easy enough to
build. I had a diagram somewhere, but it is at the office, not here at
home. Check the net.

--
Mike D.

www.stopassaultnow.org

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

As a matter of fact, in order to keep from clipping, I've had
to turn the trims on the Tascam ALL the way down-and sometimes it
STILL clips. Any clue?

RTFM.

http://www.tascam.com/products/US-22...224_manual.pdf

---

Arny Krueger

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Matt" wrote in message
om
[...]

IME best advice is to find an appropriate cable. I have a number of pads,
built a few myself, but finding them or the proper stuff to build them is
harder than finding the right cable.

Cheapest way to build a good pad is to buy the Hosa polarity inverter and
rewire it. 3 identical resistors in the 200 ohm (mics) - 3,000 ohm (line)
range make a nice approx 10 dB pad. Put one resistor across pins 2-3 of the
output and use the other two for jumpers to pins 2 & 3 of the input.

Some serious cable measurements with interesting results. Bruno Putzeys High End Audio 78 December 19th 03 03:27 AM
cabling explained Midlant Car Audio 8 November 14th 03 03:07 AM
Comment about speaker cables/interconnects Martin High End Audio 18 September 17th 03 04:07 PM
Quad snake cable Justin Ulysses Morse Pro Audio 8 July 3rd 03 05:10 PM