Posted to rec.audio.car
Jack Bauer Jack Bauer is offline

Default best place for an amp - trunk or under seat?

MOSFET wrote:

But again, I agree with Lull, the trunk can often be the COOLEST place
to mount your amps as under the seat is often very cramped. However,
under the front seats are where I have three of my four amps mounted
and have never had an over-heating problem.

MisterLull did NOT say that the trunk could be the coolest place, he
just said he likes the trunk. But I have to ask WHEN would the trunk be
the coolest place? During the winter, when cooling is not likely to be
an issue! During the summer the trunk is going to be the hottest place
(except for the engine compartment) and will have no air circulation
unless you go to the trouble of adding fans. Driving through the desert
in the Summer - that's what I am thinking about. And that is when heat
may be an issue and under the seat may be the best choice.

Thanks for the input, though.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Hey Jack,

....Just to let you know, MOSFET and I both live in the Seattle area.

While it isn't what I actually said, in THIS region I've actually been
surprised to find that my trunk stays cooler than the vehicle interior
in direct sunlight; even in the summer. Now, driving through the
desert in the summer is a completely different ball of wax and in that
case, you're probably right to mount your amplifiers under the front
seats (providing there is enough clearence for cooling). My choices
are solely based on my experience - and my main concern isn't heat
these days, it's making sure nobody can see the goods in my
car... :-)

Have fun out there!

~Mister.Lull

On Mar 1, 8:10*am, Jack Bauer wrote:
MOSFET wrote:

*But again, I agree with Lull, the trunk can often be the COOLEST place
*to mount your amps as under the seat is often very cramped. *However,
*under the front seats are where I have three of my four amps mounted
*and have never had an over-heating problem.

MisterLull did NOT say that the trunk could be the coolest place, he
just said he likes the trunk. *But I have to ask WHEN would the trunk be
the coolest place? *During the winter, when cooling is not likely to be
an issue! During the summer the trunk is going to be the hottest place
(except for the engine compartment) and will have no air circulation
unless you go to the trouble of adding fans. Driving through the desert
in the Summer - that's what I am thinking about. And that is when heat
may be an issue and under the seat may be the best choice.

Thanks for the input, though.

best place for an amp - trunk or under seat? Jack Bauer Car Audio 2 February 20th 09 06:05 AM
sub sound getting through the seat puttster Car Audio 5 September 11th 06 06:10 PM
SEAT AURA CD Skorupa Car Audio 0 November 28th 04 01:45 PM
i think i am going to mount my car amp on the carboard that is inbetween the trunk and back cushion of the back seat Spockie Car Audio 1 April 30th 04 07:47 AM
Holding a sub box in place in your trunk habibe99 Car Audio 10 November 11th 03 04:04 AM