Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Default The Toyota Republicans

The Toyota Republicans

By Patrick J. Buchanan

"GOP to Detroit: Drop Dead!"

So may have read the headline Friday, had not President Bush stepped in to
save GM, Ford and Chrysler, which Senate Republicans had just voted to send
to the knacker's yard.

What are Republicans thinking of, pulling the plug, at Christmas, on GM,
risking swift death for the greatest manufacturing company in American
history, a strategic asset and pillar of the U.S. economy.

The $14 billion loan to the Big Three that Republican senators
filibustered to death is just 2 percent of the $700 billion the Senate
voted to bail out Wall Street. Having gone along with bailouts of Bear
Stearns, AIG, Fannie, Freddie aand CitiGroup, why refuse a reprieve to an
industry upon which millions of the best blue-collar jobs in America
depend?

In a good year, Americans buy 17 million cars. A more populous EU probably
buys as many. Three billion people in India, Southeast Asia and China, four
times as many people as there are in the EU and United States, are moving
toward the middle class. They, too, will be wanting cars. And millions of
them love American cars.

Is the Republican Party so fanatic in its ideology that, rather than sin
against a commandment of Milton Friedman, it is willing to see America
written forever out of this fantastic market, let millions of jobs vanish
and write off the industrial Midwest?

So it would seem. "Companies fail every day, and others take their place,"
said Sen. Richard Shelby on "Face the Nation."

Presumably, the companies that will "take their place," when GM, Ford and
Chrysler die, are German, Japanese or Korean, like the ones lured into
Shelby's state of Alabama, with the bait of subsidies free-market
Republicans are supposed to abhor.

In 1993, Alabama put together a $258 million package to bring a Mercedes
plant in. In 1999, Honda was offered $158 million to build a plant there.
In 2002, Alabama won a Hyundai plant by offering a $252 million subsidy.

"We have a number of profitable automakers in America, and they should not
be disadvantaged for making wise business decisions while failure is
rewarded," says Sen. Jim DeMint of South Carolina.

DeMint is referring to "profitable automakers" like BMW, which sited a
plant in Spartanburg, after South Carolina offered the Germans a $150
million subsidy and $80 million to expand.

Be it BMW, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi or Hyundai, the South
has become a sanctuary for foreign assembly plants, for which Southern
states have been paying subsidies.

Fine. But why this "Let-them-eat-cake!" coldness toward U.S. auto
companies? General Motors employs more workers than all these foreign
plants combined. And, unlike Mitsubishi, General Motors didn't bomb Pearl
Harbor.

Do these Southern senators understand why the foreign automakers suddenly
up and decided to build plants in the United States?

It was the economic nationalism of Ronald Reagan.

When an icon of American industry, Harley-Davidson, was being run out of
business by cutthroat Japanese dumping of big bikes to kill the "Harley
Hog," Reagan slapped 50 percent tariffs on their motorcycles and imposed
quotas on imported Japanese cars. Message to Tokyo. If you folks want to
keep selling cars here, start building them here.

Fear of Reaganism brought those foreign automakers, lickety-split, to
America's shores, not any love of Southern cooking.

Do the Republicans not yet understand how they lost the New Majority
coalition that gave them three landslides and five victories in six
presidential races from 1968 to 1988? Do they not know why the Reagan
Democrats in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Michigan are going home?

The Republican Party gave their jobs away!

How? By telling U.S. manufacturers they could shut plants here, get rid of
their U.S. workers, build factories in Mexico, Asia or China, and ship
their products back, free of charge.

Republican globalists gave U.S. manufacturers every incentive to go abroad
and take their jobs with them, the jobs of Middle America.

And, for 30 years, that is what U.S. manufacturers have done, have been
forced to do, as their competitors closed down and moved their plants
abroad in search of low-wage Third World labor.

It's Herbert Hoover time in here, Vice President Cheney is said to have
told the Senate Republicans -- as they prepared to march out onto the
floor and turn thumbs down on any reprieve for General Motors.

In today's world, America faces nationalistic trade rivals who manipulate
currencies, employ nontariff barriers, subsidize their manufacturers,
rebate value-added taxes on exports to us and impose value-added taxes on
imports from us, all to capture our markets and kill our great companies.
And we have a Republican Party blissfully ignorant that we live in a world
of us or them. It doesn't even know who "us" is.

We need a new team on the field and a new coach who believes with Vince
Lombardi that "winning isn't everything. It's the only thing."

http://www.vdare.com/buchanan/081215_toyota.htm

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html