Posted to rec.audio.car
Kdog Kdog is offline

Default Sub issues

Ok, so it's not the best set-up. a 4 channel amp running 2 12's that's
it. It was working well, for awhile, but suddenly the subs sound like
crap. It sound like some of the highs are getting to the subs. they are
cracking and popping too. I have checked all the connections from the
amplifier. It indicates 4 ohms stable and so do the subs. the speaker
wires are not pinched (grounded) so what gives. Bad RCA's?

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Ok, so it's not the best set-up. a 4 channel amp running 2 12's that's
it. It was working well, for awhile, but suddenly the subs sound like
crap. It sound like some of the highs are getting to the subs. they are
cracking and popping too.

We are going to need a better description of the problem if we are going to
have any chance of helping you.

First, has the system ever worked right? Describe what you mean by "highs
getting to the subs"? Is there a crossover built into the sub-amp? Is so,
that should be restricing highs from "getting to the subs".

Describe the cracking and popping. Does it happen all the time? At certain
volume levels?

Also, the brands of the subs, amp and car make and model can be helpful
sometimes.

Too much information is ALWAYS better than not enough.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Kdog Kdog is offline

Pioneer AVIC N2, Power acoustik amp (i don't think it has a crossover)
got it from a friend, 2 crunch DVC subs. I can hear words and such
through the box. I think that's why it's crackling. It used to work
fine, then suddenly, bang, crap. it happens at all volume levels. Oh
yea, it's a 02 chevy suburban. One more interesting point. Best buy
installed the head unit( too intense for me). They used the original
set up. I had the stock unit hooked up to a PAC unit for the pre-outs.
they kept it in there and wired the new unit through that. seems like a
bed idea on their part.
MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Pioneer AVIC N2, Power acoustik amp (i don't think it has a crossover)
got it from a friend, 2 crunch DVC subs. I can hear words and such
through the box. I think that's why it's crackling. It used to work
fine, then suddenly, bang, crap. it happens at all volume levels. Oh
yea, it's a 02 chevy suburban. One more interesting point. Best buy
installed the head unit( too intense for me). They used the original
set up. I had the stock unit hooked up to a PAC unit for the pre-outs.
they kept it in there and wired the new unit through that. seems like a
bed idea on their part.

OK, that additional information you gave I THINK contained the key to the
problem. That Pioneer AVIC you have is a VERY full-featured HU (head unit)
that I'm pretty sure contains a crossover that restricts low-frequencies
going to the subwoofer amp. That function has apparently been turned off,
perhaps the car battery was disconnected for some reason, and this would
have caused all the settings in your HU to be erased.

That would explain why you all of a sudden have "highs going through your
subwoofer". I would go through your Pioneer AVIC owner's manual and see if
you can find a section on engaging the crossover for the subwoofer. By
turning that back on, it should solve the "highs through the sub" problem.

If this solves all the problems, then GREAT! If not, let us know what's
going on and we'll go from there.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
The Lull The Lull is offline

Do you know the amplifier's model number? Can you find out? I would
be surprised if it doesn't have some sort of crossover function.
~The Lull
MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Kdog Kdog is offline

OK, I sort of fixed the problem, then had another. While I was driving,
My AVIC just shut down. Screen went blank then about 3 seconds later
the flap(screen) closed. then no lights or anything. I have tried the
"reset" feature, no luck. Do you think I blew a fuse? Or does it sound
more serious?
MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Before you do ANYTHING else, try disconnecting and reconnecting the positive
battery terminal, it's a long shot, but perhaps that will reset something.

Next, check all your car's fuses. Maybe you just blew a fuse.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to take a look at your HU. The first
thing to do in any situation like this is first determine if your AVIC is
getting a good 12 volt power supply and a good ground. It could be as
simple as a loose wire or bad ground (let's hope!).

A voltmeter (or multimter) will help you determine if all your connections
are good. If they are, then the reset (as you've tried) would be the next
thing I would do.

If everything appears to be connected properly with a good 12 volt power
supply and a good ground, I'm afraid you may have REAL problems with your
deck.

Maybe someone else has something you can try. But that's all I can think
of.

I'm sorry you're having problems. I KNOW how much this can suck, I REALLY
do.

MOSFET

ups.com...
MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Kdog Kdog is offline

Thanks, i'll give that a shot tomorrow and keep you updated.
I don't think anyone really anticipates this kind of grief when they
get a nice toy. Excitement maybe?
MOSFET wrote:
[...]

ups.com...
MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Kdog Kdog is offline

MOSFET,
I gave up and took the car to Best Buy. I dropped it off and when I
went to pick it up it was in working order, but the installer had left
for the evening. So not sure of the problem, but likely something of
the nature recommended. One more thing, there is a website AVIC411.com,
and i saw a post on there about another guy having trouble with subs. I
don't know anything about this but he said that his old HU was putting
out 4V to the amp, while the AVIC series only puts out 2V. (to cram all
the other multimedia crap into the HU) He said that there is a
connecter available to change 2V to 4V, abut after all of this headache
I am scared to mess with it. ( navigation a must)

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

ups.com...