Posted to rec.audio.tech
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Default Looking for PLL-tuned AM pocket radio...

I like taking my little pocket radio along to football and hockey games to
listen to the play-by-play broadcasts, but most times, keeping a solid lock on
the AM station is an iffy prospect at best, requiring constant tweaking.

What I'm looking for is a PLL-tuned pocket-sized radio that does AM. I have one
of those little scan-only radios, but it's FM-only as well. I've looked at
Radio Shack's (aka "The Source by Circuit City" - blech, what marketing genious
thought THAT was a good name???) offerings, they have one little AM/FM unit and
a crapload of AM/FM/SW units that have a digital tuning DISPLAY, but all of
those still tune by an analog dial and are VERY touchy and don't stay locked
on-frequency until you get into the bigger $200+ Grundig sets.

Anyone have any suggestions of what to look for (something at a REASONABLE
price), and possibly where to find it in the Vancouver, BC area?
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 21:11:57 GMT, Matt Ion
wrote:

[...]

I suspect that, at moderate price, the best loop will be that
involving your ears, your brain, your finger and the radio's tuning
dial.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mike S. Mike S. is offline

In article xsPzg.301406$iF6.82927@pd7tw2no,
Matt Ion wrote:
[...]

Mail order.

http://www.ccrane.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

wrote:

[...]

That's the system I'm using now. Trying to get away from that.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

wrote:

[...]

Found something!

http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/...4&ProductTab=1
http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/... &ProductTab=1

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:36:39 GMT, Matt Ion
wrote:

Found something!

http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/...4&ProductTab=1
http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/... &ProductTab=1

Do they have particularly stable AM tuning? They may have, but I see
nothing that says so.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

wrote:

Found something!

http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/...4&ProductTab=1
http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/... &ProductTab=1

Do they have particularly stable AM tuning? They may have, but I see
nothing that says so.

Haven't been to the store to check them out yet, but I don't see why they
wouldn't... my damn shower clock/radio has PLL tuning and it's rock-solid, I
can't believe it's so difficult to find this feature in a "personal".