Rick Onanian

Default Hacking line output into a cd changer with only an FM modulator

I have a Durabrand 10 mp3-cd changer whose only output is an in-line FM
modulator. This cheapo unit interferes with FM reception, and I've
since hacked a working line-in on my head unit.

There is a space on the modulator's circuit board for RCA jack output,
but that whole side of the board is missing it's components. I soldered
an RCA cable into the board's RCA jack output, but of course there's no
audio signal.

So, I dangerously sat there with the RCA cable plugged into the audio
line-in, and the other end of the cable in my hand, touching it to
various contacts on the circuit board, finding lots of places with live
audio. Of course, live audio is not hard to find near where the
changer's cable goes into the modulator box.

Is it likely safe to just take any of those live audio signals and wire
it directly to my line-in? What do all the electronic components do
between the RCA output on one end of the board and the changer's lines
that sound like live audio on the other end?

Thanks,
Rick

Rick Onanian

I went ahead and did it. Nothing's blown up yet. Sound quality is a lot
better than it was with the modulator, there's no more interference to
the fm reception now that the modulator is removed, and I've gotten one
of my FM preset slots back.

Rick