Posted to rec.audio.car
The Lull The Lull is offline

Default Is It the Head Unit, Or The Speaker?

Hey All,

So, my front-right speaker isn't working correctly.

I thought it wasn't working at all for a while, but I found out that I
was wrong. If I fade the channels so that they're all the way front
and right, then turn the music WAY up (about 35 out of 40), I can hear
it clear as a bell. Quiet, but clear.

What troubleshooting have I done? I've re-wired the speaker
completely. The wires go DIRECTLY from the HU to the speaker now. I
couldn't fix the problem at first, and since I was using the wiring
harness that came with the car I figured that could be part of the
problem. Same story when I ran the new wire, though.

Here's why I'm suspecting the HU: I had the same problem for a short
while (while first installing) with the rear-right speaker. But it's
set up differently. The rear speakers are powered by an amp, which
they're wired directly to (I ran the wires myself, and they couldn't be
in better condition). The amp gets the signal from pre-amped outputs
for the rear channels from the deck. The problem fixed itself when I
faded all channels to THAT speaker (right-rear, in case you forgot),
and turned the volume to around 35 (out of 40). It was crystal clear
and pretty quiet, then it popped up to the volume it should've been.
It's been fine ever since. The front-right speaker isn't fixing
itself, and it's a little irritating.

I know that the proving test would be to switch some wires around and
see if the problem travels with the wires, but before I do that does
anyone know if the 'clear but quiet' thing is a characteristic of a bad
HU? It seems like a really funky coincedence that both right channels
had a problem, even though they're set up differently.

Frustrated
~The Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"The Lull" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Try rewireing the front speakers on the radio.
Wire the left front speaker radio output to the right front speaker and wire
the right front speaker output to the left front speaker.
If the problem switches to the left speaker, then its the HU. if the problem
stays on the right side, then it's the speaker.

Posted to rec.audio.car
The Lull The Lull is offline

I appreciate your input, and know that it is correct.
However, this does not answer my question.
~The Lull
e-nigma wrote:
"The Lull" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I appreciate your input, and know that it is correct.
However, this does not answer my question.
~The Lull

I'm afraid that would be my advice as well. You just won't know where the
problem originates until you perform this test.

But on the surface, I would expect a problem with your HU as you had a
similar problem with the right rear.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

You lazy basturd, get off your ass and do the work yourself.

e-nigma wrote:
"The Lull" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

That problem could be caused by the speaker or the HU.
the speaker could have internal short.
or the internal amp may be bad or a bad solder connection on the main board.
My guess would be speaker or speaker wire. even a partial ground on the rear
right speaker could cause it.
best thing is to change the left and right wires on the radio to be sure. it
would be faster to do that that running a whole new wire as you've already
done.

good luck

ups.com...
e-nigma wrote:
"The Lull" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

If you don't want to reiwre both front speakers, try hooking the right front
speaker wire to the left rear output on the radio.
your not using that wire, right?
If the speaker works on the output then you know the speaker is ok and the
internal amp is bad

ups.com...
e-nigma wrote:
"The Lull" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
The Lull The Lull is offline

Thanks, All!!
Except Howdy.
How was that constructive or helpful in any way?
~The Lull
e-nigma wrote:
If you don't want to reiwre both front speakers, try hooking the right front
speaker wire to the left rear output on the radio.
your not using that wire, right?
If the speaker works on the output then you know the speaker is ok and the
internal amp is bad

ups.com...
e-nigma wrote:
"The Lull" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Thanks, All!!
Except Howdy.

LOL

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

That's right because howdy told you to get off your lazy ass and troubleshoot
the problem instead of having people take guesses as to where the problem is.
If you're going to be that lazy why not just pony up some cash have someone
troubleshoot the problem for you. It's not a problem that you can just point
out with your given information and any solution given is nothing more then a
shot in the dark. You've been around here long enough to know better then
that.

e-nigma wrote:
If you don't want to reiwre both front speakers, try hooking the right front
speaker wire to the left rear output on the radio.
your not using that wire, right?
If the speaker works on the output then you know the speaker is ok and the
internal amp is bad

ups.com...
e-nigma wrote:
"The Lull" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
The Lull The Lull is offline

Please...

I asked a simple question, and instead of saying anything worth while
you decided it would be more fun to call me names.

Now, because I called you out on it, you want to be defensive?

Good luck with that.

~The Lull

e-nigma wrote:
If you don't want to reiwre both front speakers, try hooking the right front
speaker wire to the left rear output on the radio.
your not using that wire, right?
If the speaker works on the output then you know the speaker is ok and the
internal amp is bad

ups.com...
e-nigma wrote:
"The Lull" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

I'm with Howdy on this one... Lull already KNOWS what the most basic, obvious
troubleshooting step is: "I know that the proving test would be to switch some
wires around and see if the problem travels with the wires...", yet now despite
having done a far more labor-intensive job in rewiring everything FIRST, wants
to skip this simple troubleshooting method that any installer worth his salt
would have done right off the top, to have us, as Howdy puts it, "take guesses
as to where the problem is".

Just do the damn wire switch and you'll either find your problem, or rule it out.

e-nigma wrote:

If you don't want to reiwre both front speakers, try hooking the right front
speaker wire to the left rear output on the radio.
your not using that wire, right?
If the speaker works on the output then you know the speaker is ok and the
internal amp is bad

"The Lull" wrote in message
groups.com...

I appreciate your input, and know that it is correct.
However, this does not answer my question.
~The Lull
e-nigma wrote:

"The Lull" wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
The Lull The Lull is offline

Matt,

I know the advice is sound - ****, I even know what I need to do.

Yes, I know better than to ask simple questions, here's why I did it
anyway:
I don't have a garage and I have to drive almost two hours, one way, to
get somewhere that I have all the tools and space I need.

The install I shared with you all
(http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462751) is a combination job of decent
craftsmanship and stealth. I live in an apartment in the city. Not
only do I not have all the tools or space necessary to do an install,
but I'm not going to even HINT at the fact that I have any sort of
system in my car while I'm within a mile of my place. I'm very careful
not to blast my music, or even leave my faceplate on when I'm nearing
home.

Now for me to go out in my driveway at my apartment (where I have had
cars [yes, two] broken into before) and **** around with my stereo
wires is just ASKING for another break-in. So in order to perform any
tests on wires, head units, speakers (which, if you viewed my website,
you read me bitching about having to take off the whole door panel to
get to the speakers) or any of that, I'm looking at a long haul out of
town. Wouldn't you (or any installer worth his salt) want to know if a
common HU error is a quiet yet clear speaker channel before I drive all
that way to switch some wires around?

Call it laziness if you want to. I asked a question, to potentially
avoid some hassle, and got a bitchy-intensive response that didn't even
address my question. **** me? No. **** You.

~The Lull

e-nigma wrote:

If you don't want to reiwre both front speakers, try hooking the right front
speaker wire to the left rear output on the radio.
your not using that wire, right?
If the speaker works on the output then you know the speaker is ok and the
internal amp is bad

groups.com...

e-nigma wrote:

"The Lull" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

With all of that bull**** said, how much necessary space and just how many
tools does it take to remove a hu and change 4 wires around? No parking lots
beyond your hood ?

As for your question flip a coin and take a guess and you'll be no worse off
then having us taking a shot in that dark as to what the problem might be.

Lazy prick.

e-nigma wrote:

If you don't want to reiwre both front speakers, try hooking the right

front
speaker wire to the left rear output on the radio.
your not using that wire, right?
If the speaker works on the output then you know the speaker is ok and the
internal amp is bad

groups.com...

e-nigma wrote:

"The Lull" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
The Lull The Lull is offline

Slightly more constructive... You're still an Asshole.
~The Lull

e-nigma wrote:

If you don't want to reiwre both front speakers, try hooking the right

front
speaker wire to the left rear output on the radio.
your not using that wire, right?
If the speaker works on the output then you know the speaker is ok and the
internal amp is bad

groups.com...

e-nigma wrote:

"The Lull" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Slightly more constructive... You're still an Asshole.
~The Lull

No, No, Lull, I'm sure Matt Ion thinks that's also a reasonable,
constructive comment.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

And you're still a lazy prick that has to drive two hours, one way, to get
somewhere where you have all the tools and space you need.

e-nigma wrote:

If you don't want to reiwre both front speakers, try hooking the right
front
speaker wire to the left rear output on the radio.
your not using that wire, right?
If the speaker works on the output then you know the speaker is ok and

the
internal amp is bad

groups.com...

e-nigma wrote:

"The Lull" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

Mosfet it seems that you have a thing for Matt, so why don't you blow him
already and get it out of the way?

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
Slightly more constructive... You're still an Asshole.
~The Lull

No, No, Lull, I'm sure Matt Ion thinks that's also a reasonable,
constructive comment.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Mosfet it seems that you have a thing for Matt, so why don't you blow him
already and get it out of the way?

That's really funny because I was thinking the same thing about you two.
You seem like two peas in a pod (he's the only one who agrees with your
crap). You two should start your own newsgroup:

rec.audio.assholes

You two could have a blast putting people down all day.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

I'm gonna stick around and bully you, along with making sure that you don't
bull**** the newbies too much. I think that what really bugs the **** out of
you is not that Matt might agree on a thing or two with me, but the fact that
he disagrees with most of the bull**** that you pass along to the newbies and
calls you on it and this leaves your posts beyond the realms of your
knowledge. That's why you don't challenge his so called nit-picking and
instead to get all fired up into a ball of nose bleed rage.

How's that for really funny?

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
Mosfet it seems that you have a thing for Matt, so why don't you blow him
already and get it out of the way?

That's really funny because I was thinking the same thing about you two.
You seem like two peas in a pod (he's the only one who agrees with your
crap). You two should start your own newsgroup:

rec.audio.assholes

You two could have a blast putting people down all day.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Do you have any idea how much you sound like Bob when you start ranting,
Howdy.

You crack me up.

MOSFET

news

wrote:
Mosfet it seems that you have a thing for Matt, so why don't you blow

him
already and get it out of the way?

That's really funny because I was thinking the same thing about you two.
You seem like two peas in a pod (he's the only one who agrees with your
crap). You two should start your own newsgroup:

rec.audio.assholes

You two could have a blast putting people down all day.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

You can do much better then that, try again.