Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] fleemo17@comcast.net is offline

Default Recommendations for '06 Tacoma Double Cab

I just bought an '06 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab and want to install a
killer sound system. iPod capability is a must. I've heard good
things about the Alpine CDA-9857. Any other suggestions for the head
unit?

I'm also thinking about replacing the stock speakers and adding some
kind of bass kicker and amp. I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Thanks.

-Fleemo

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Take a look at our FAQ at:

http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/

It will give you some basic info on building a good system.

MOSFET

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just bought an '06 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab and want to install a
killer sound system. iPod capability is a must. I've heard good
things about the Alpine CDA-9857. Any other suggestions for the head
unit?

I'm also thinking about replacing the stock speakers and adding some
kind of bass kicker and amp. I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Thanks.

-Fleemo

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

All killer systems start with an i-pod. I know that when I build killer
systems I always think about replacing the stock speakers and adding some
kind of bass kickers, but I personally use bass slammers, just because they
are more powerful then bass kickers.

In article . com,
wrote:
I just bought an '06 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab and want to install a
killer sound system. iPod capability is a must. I've heard good
things about the Alpine CDA-9857. Any other suggestions for the head
unit?

I'm also thinking about replacing the stock speakers and adding some
kind of bass kicker and amp. I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Thanks.

-Fleemo

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

, but I personally use bass slammers, just because they
are more powerful then bass kickers.

On behalf of RAC, I apologize for Howdy's BS. He apparently forgot to take
his medication today (unlike yesterday when he was EXTREMELY helpful to a
newbie). He's just giving you crap because you referred to the brand name
"Kicker" as a noun.

But the rest of us are all pretty harmless and helpful, honest. Please
feel welcome.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Troy T. Troy T. is offline

Flemmo,

Congrats on the new truck,Tacomas are vey nice trucks.Now lets get to
buisness.

HU (headunit) wise alpine is pretty much the top of the line.They have
the best SQ.Almost all of their new HU have the Ipod integration.

As far as replacing the speakers that is mostly personal preferance.The
best thing you can do if figure out what size you need and then just
going to stereo shops and auditioning a bunch of different
speakers.There are two different types of speakers,Components
(seperates) and coaxial.Components will almost always have better SQ
then the coaxial and there are alittle more expensive.Also with
components you can mount the tweeters more at ear level which raises
the sound stage,improving the SQ.The downside of components are that
they are less efficient,as in it takes more power to get them to
perform the same as the coaxial.So with components you will more likely
need an amp.
Personaly I think the best way to set up te speakers the to put
components up front with an amp,and to run coaxial speakers off the HU
in the rear for rear fill.

With the subwoofer I would definitly recomend DVC (dual voice coil)
over SVC (single voice coil).There are alot of companies that make good
subwoofers.MTX,Rockford Fosgate,Alpine,Orion,JL,Diamond Audio, and so
on.Again like speakers it is mostly personal preferance.One major thing
to consider with a sub is box type.With a band pass or ported box you
will get lower frequencies.So once again the best thing to do is go
audition a bunch of different subs and find what you like,just remeber
once you get it in your truck it will sound different that in the
shop.

Another recomemdation to do is not to buy and a stereo shop.They all
over charge.So the best thing to do is go to the shops ,find what you
like,then go online and buy it.You will save alot of money that way.

Any other questions just ask.And just like MOSFET said if anyone gives
you a hard time,like Howdy just ignore him.

TroyT.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

On behalf of RAC, I apologize for Mosfets's BS. He apparently isn't up to
speed on today's car audio. www.bassslammer.com But he is right, he is pretty
harmless to other people's stereos, just not his own. LOL

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
, but I personally use bass slammers, just because they
are more powerful then bass kickers.

On behalf of RAC, I apologize for Howdy's BS. He apparently forgot to take
his medication today (unlike yesterday when he was EXTREMELY helpful to a
newbie). He's just giving you crap because you referred to the brand name
"Kicker" as a noun.

But the rest of us are all pretty harmless and helpful, honest. Please
feel welcome.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

That's a hell of bold statement from someone that was on here a month ago
looking for HU recommendations. Now you're making yourself sound like an
expert. RAC has turned Troy the noob into an expert in a month. Hey Mosfet you
have a thing in marketing, how do we make some cash off this speedy noob to
expert program we have here?

" Troy T.
Hello everyone,

I am still building up my stereo system and i am on speakers and the
HU. i have my speakers picked out and im struggling with the HU. There
are so many out there.I am mainly leaning towards the Alpine HU's
(9856). I was curious to see what everyone thought her, you guys have
akot my expierence then i do. If anyone knows of any HU that they like
and recomend i would greatly appreciate it. What i want is one with 3
preamp outputs and ipod control. This is why i like the Alpine 9856.

Also got a question on amps. Do the RMS and Peak power ratings have to
match or can they be alittle off. I always thought thet companies made
amps to go with the speakers. Guess i was wrong!"

In article . com, "Troy T."
wrote:
Flemmo,

\

HU (headunit) wise alpine is pretty much the top of the line.They have
the best SQ.Almost all of their new HU have the Ipod integration.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Does the expression "dish it out, but can't take it" mean anything to you,
Howdy?

You're a bully and everyone here knows it.

And yes, I've got a BIG problem with you being a bully to newbie's (like you
were to this guy and others). It makes me sick. Regulars here know you're
an ass and so ignore you. But the newbie's don't and they think RAC is full
of BS.

That's the way I feel and if you don't like it, Howdy, well then **** YOU
(this is the only language you understand)!

And that's ALL I'm going to say about this subject!!! I AM NOT going to
start yet another war (furthermore there's nothing else to say, you think
it's OK, I don't).

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car

In article , "MOSFET" wrote:
Does the expression "dish it out, but can't take it" mean anything to you,
Howdy?

This applies to what? If this applies to the bass kicker comment, I would say
it's just the other way around.

What gives you the right to apologize for anyone one. You do not represent RAC
or anything that goes on here. Just because you're a self appointed drama
queen means nothing.

You're a bully and everyone here knows it.

You're a drama queen and everyone here knows it.

And yes, I've got a BIG problem with you being a bully to newbie's (like you
were to this guy and others). It makes me sick. Regulars here know you're
an ass and so ignore you. But the newbie's don't and they think RAC is full
of BS.

You know just how little I care. Come on here before you eat, would hate to
know that you lost your lunch.

That's the way I feel and if you don't like it, Howdy, well then **** YOU
(this is the only language you understand)!

Ditto and suck a nut while you're at it.

And that's ALL I'm going to say about this subject!!!

No it's not and you know it.

I AM NOT going to
start yet another war (furthermore there's nothing else to say, you think
it's OK, I don't).

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Troy T. Troy T. is offline

What is your problem dude.
I didnt know alot when i 1st went into RAC.But, with the help of MOSFET
and others like him i learned ALOT.Unlike you they actually help and
give advice instead of makeing poeple who dont know alot feel like ****
and give them the impression that RAC in crap and everyone is mean in
here.For a little while there you were actually being helpful and nice.
what happend?

TroyT.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

I don't have a problem, I just wanted to know what made you go from noob to
expert in a one months time is all. I help those that need it, unlike Mosfet I
don't do tech support for I-pods and what amp or Hu is better then the other.
There are review forums for things like that. I don't install head units all
day long, I'm not going to tell you that Alpine is top of the line just
because I may own one. But I have owned and hot swapped **** loads of amps and
repaired more then my share of them and this is why I wont tell you that all
amps sound the same and that the biggest differance is in how they are made.

In article . com, "Troy T."
wrote:
What is your problem dude.
I didnt know alot when i 1st went into RAC.But, with the help of MOSFET
and others like him i learned ALOT.Unlike you they actually help and
give advice instead of makeing poeple who dont know alot feel like ****
and give them the impression that RAC in crap and everyone is mean in
here.For a little while there you were actually being helpful and nice.
what happend?

TroyT.

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] fleemo17@comcast.net is offline

Take a look at our FAQ at: http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq

Mosfet, (or should I call you "Metal oxide semiconductor field-effect
transistor?) thanks for the link, as well as for the warm welcome. An
amazing wealth of information in that FAQ there!

He's just giving you crap because you referred to the brand name "Kicker" as a noun.

Sorry, didn't realize I was gonna step on a landmine with with a casual
reference to a subwoofer. :/

HU (headunit) wise alpine is pretty much the top of the line.They have the best SQ.Almost all of their new HU have the Ipod integration.

Thanks for the extremely thorough reply Troy. A lot of my research so
far has pointed toward Alpine, especially if there's an iPod in the
picture. I realize the iPod's frequency response leaves a lot to be
desired, but the convenience of having my entire music collection at my
fingertips is worth the sacrifice in SQ to me.

Components will almost always have better SQ then the coaxial and there are alittle more expensive.

That works for me, as the Tacoma uses components in their double-cab
stock offerings.

With the subwoofer I would definitly recomend DVC (dual voice coil) over SVC (single voice coil).

Thanks for that advice. If I may ask another question -- have
subwoofers (and amps for that matter) changed much over the last decade
or so? And does their performance degrade over time? I have an old
Pioneer TS- WX160 150W subwoofer in my old truck, and I was pretty
pleased with the punch, so to speak. I'm wondering if I should pull
that out of the old truck and install it in the Tacoma, or go with
modern technology?

Again, I appreciate the kind words of advice here.

-Fleemo

Posted to rec.audio.car
Troy T. Troy T. is offline

Fleemo,
To be totaly honest i havent been in car audio long enought to answer
that question fully.But in my truck i have an Orion subwoofer that is
4-5 years old and still kicks alot of ass.so the best thing to do is
take it out install it and see if it works and if you like.If so there
ya go youv got a sub,if not ohh well it was worth a try.Good luck!

TroyT.