Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Agent_C Agent_C is offline

Default Replacing The Surround on Original Infinity Modulus Subwoofer

I'll be replacing the surround on this Modulus subwoofer shortly.
Before I do so, I'd like opinions as to whether it will be necessary
to remove the driver from the cabinet.

Take a look: http://tinyurl.com/jphyl

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like all I'll have to do is
remove the *inner* gasket to reveal the complete surround. Does that
sound correct?

Any pointers would be most helpful as well.

Thanks,

A_C

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Agent_C wrote:
I'll be replacing the surround on this Modulus subwoofer shortly.
Before I do so, I'd like opinions as to whether it will be necessary
to remove the driver from the cabinet.

Take a look: http://tinyurl.com/jphyl

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like all I'll have to do is
remove the *inner* gasket to reveal the complete surround. Does that
sound correct?

Any pointers would be most helpful as well.

Thanks,

A_C

Leave it in the cabinet, but put some masking tape around the driver to
catch any spills etc.

jak

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Agent_C wrote:
I'll be replacing the surround on this Modulus subwoofer shortly.
Before I do so, I'd like opinions as to whether it will be necessary
to remove the driver from the cabinet.

Take a look: http://tinyurl.com/jphyl

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like all I'll have to do is
remove the *inner* gasket to reveal the complete surround. Does that
sound correct?

Take it out completely, if only so you can shim the voice coil properly.
Yeah, I know, because the spider holds it in place, you don't really have
to shim it. But you should.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Agent_C wrote:
I'll be replacing the surround on this Modulus subwoofer shortly.
Before I do so, I'd like opinions as to whether it will be necessary
to remove the driver from the cabinet.

Take a look: http://tinyurl.com/jphyl

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like all I'll have to do is
remove the *inner* gasket to reveal the complete surround. Does that
sound correct?

Take it out completely, if only so you can shim the voice coil properly.
Yeah, I know, because the spider holds it in place, you don't really have
to shim it. But you should.
--scott

Hi Scott...I'm at a loss to understand why the driver needs to be
removed in order to shim the VC. This is done from the front, no?

jak

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

jakdedert wrote:

Hi Scott...I'm at a loss to understand why the driver needs to be
removed in order to shim the VC. This is done from the front, no?

In order to shim the voice coil from the front, you'd have to cut off
the paper or aluminum dust cap and then re-glue it after you've
finished the job you're trying to do. You may be able to remove a
screw-on metal cover at the rear and get access to the voice coil.
Depends on the speaker.

I've never done this job. I know it's supposed to be so simple that
only a child can do it, but I just figured that speakers are put
together with special alignment jigs, by people who know what they're
doing, and that without them, no repair job will be as good as new.

I'd think, though, that if this is your first time (probalby so, based
on the questions you're asking) and you want to give it a try, your
best shot would be to do as little damage as necessary. If you leave
the speaker in the box, at least it will be held solidly while you're
working on it. If you take it out, and then remove the rear cover,
you'll have a pretty unstable hunk of metal on your bench. Of course,
to hold it while you're working on the surround, you could set it back
in the mounting hole after removing the rear cover and shimming the
voice coil.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

jakdedert wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Agent_C wrote:
I'll be replacing the surround on this Modulus subwoofer shortly.
Before I do so, I'd like opinions as to whether it will be necessary
to remove the driver from the cabinet.

Take a look: http://tinyurl.com/jphyl

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like all I'll have to do is
remove the *inner* gasket to reveal the complete surround. Does that
sound correct?

Take it out completely, if only so you can shim the voice coil properly.
Yeah, I know, because the spider holds it in place, you don't really have
to shim it. But you should.

Hi Scott...I'm at a loss to understand why the driver needs to be
removed in order to shim the VC. This is done from the front, no?

You still should look around the back to make sure you did it right.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
James Lehman James Lehman is offline

"Agent_C" wrote in message
On 19 Aug 2006 19:17:10 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Take it out completely, if only so you can shim the voice coil properly.
Yeah, I know, because the spider holds it in place, you don't really have
to shim it. But you should.

I wish I knew what you were talking about... (Shim? Spider?
Waaah???) Anyhow, I managed to get it done while still in the cabinet.
Check it out:

Befo
http://tinyurl.com/jphyl

Naked: http://tinyurl.com/o4nam

After: http://tinyurl.com/s4x9a

Pretty neat job, if I don't say so myself. :-)

A_C

Nice pictures too!

James. )

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Agent_C wrote:
On 19 Aug 2006 19:17:10 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Take it out completely, if only so you can shim the voice coil properly.
Yeah, I know, because the spider holds it in place, you don't really have
to shim it. But you should.

I wish I knew what you were talking about... (Shim? Spider?
Waaah???) Anyhow, I managed to get it done while still in the cabinet.
Check it out:

Befo
http://tinyurl.com/jphyl

Naked: http://tinyurl.com/o4nam

After: http://tinyurl.com/s4x9a

Pretty neat job, if I don't say so myself. :-)

Very neat...did you shim the voice coil? If not, you run the danger of
the woofer blowing out under stress, due to the coil possibly not being
centered in it's gap. You should run a sweep test on it (with an
oscillator, slowly run the sub through it's intended frequency range up
to it's rated power to listen for any possible anomalies).

jak

A_C

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Scott Dorsey wrote:
jakdedert wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Agent_C wrote:
I'll be replacing the surround on this Modulus subwoofer shortly.
Before I do so, I'd like opinions as to whether it will be necessary
to remove the driver from the cabinet.

Take a look: http://tinyurl.com/jphyl

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like all I'll have to do is
remove the *inner* gasket to reveal the complete surround. Does that
sound correct?
Take it out completely, if only so you can shim the voice coil properly.
Yeah, I know, because the spider holds it in place, you don't really have
to shim it. But you should.

Hi Scott...I'm at a loss to understand why the driver needs to be
removed in order to shim the VC. This is done from the front, no?

You still should look around the back to make sure you did it right.

I'm still trying to understand what one might observe from the back.
Enlighten me, please.

jak