Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] jschmuhl@aol.com is offline

Default strobe light on Thorens TD-125 Mk II turntable won't light

After nearly 33 years of faithful service the strobe light will not
light. The turntable runs fine otherwise. Assuming the light
bulb/lamp has burned out, can it be replaced? If so, where can I get a
new light (if they're still available)? My understanding is that it's
messy to replace (a lamp soldered on the PC board I believe). I guess
I can use the turntable wirthout the strobe light working (and use
strobe discs to adjust the speed) but I'd really like to have it
working. Many thanks for the help/comments.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:54:51 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
arnyk_at_comcast_dot_net wrote:

Hmm common neon bulbs are rated for 25,000 hour life. There are 8760 hours
in a year. 3 years seems about right.

If you're playing vinyl 24 hours a day :-) How many weeks do you get
off a stylus? And have your records any groove left?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] jschmuhl@aol.com is offline

Many thanks for the reference and reminding me to check the manual! I
have this manual but I guess after 33 years I didn't remember how
detailed it is. I'm slightly embarassed about that but I still need to
find a suitable replacement light. This doesn't look too scary to
repair (I hope).

François Yves Le Gal wrote:
On 22 Nov 2006 23:38:00 -0800, wrote:

Assuming the light
bulb/lamp has burned out, can it be replaced?

Yes. Check page 32 in the user manual (page 28 in the pdf below).

http://www.theanalogdept.com/images/.../Td125mkii.pdf

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] jschmuhl@aol.com is offline

I think the subject of this message should be changed to "Need strobe
lens for Thorens TD 125 Mk II turntable". I just took the turntables
off to examine the light and discovered that the strobe lens is broken.
Since the light is held by pressure to its contacts by the lens and
since the lens is broken, the light will not work. I'm going to try to
glue the lens back together (with expoxy glue?) but if that doesn't
work is there a lens out there that I can get? The light, it turns
out, still works fine. Many thanks again. PS: I would still like to
get a light to have on hand just in case I really do need it some time.

wrote:
After nearly 33 years of faithful service the strobe light will not
light. The turntable runs fine otherwise. Assuming the light
bulb/lamp has burned out, can it be replaced? If so, where can I get a
new light (if they're still available)? My understanding is that it's
messy to replace (a lamp soldered on the PC board I believe). I guess
I can use the turntable wirthout the strobe light working (and use
strobe discs to adjust the speed) but I'd really like to have it
working. Many thanks for the help/comments.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
After nearly 33 years of faithful service the strobe light will not
light. The turntable runs fine otherwise. Assuming the light
bulb/lamp has burned out, can it be replaced? If so, where can I get a
new light (if they're still available)? My understanding is that it's
messy to replace (a lamp soldered on the PC board I believe). I guess
I can use the turntable wirthout the strobe light working (and use
strobe discs to adjust the speed) but I'd really like to have it
working. Many thanks for the help/comments.

**I've done dozens of these things. Forget about trying to obtain a
replacement neon, they're hard to find, or very expensive. Fortunately,
there are other options. Tap into the low Voltage AC supply and use it to
run one or more LEDs. Most of my clients prefer blue nowadays, as that is
the colour de jour. Side benefit is that the LED/s last pretty much forever
and, if you choose the right LED, can be significantly brighter.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
om...
wrote:
After nearly 33 years of faithful service the strobe light will not
light. The turntable runs fine otherwise. Assuming the light
bulb/lamp has burned out, can it be replaced? If so, where can I
get a new light (if they're still available)? My understanding is
that it's messy to replace (a lamp soldered on the PC board I
believe). I guess I can use the turntable wirthout the strobe
light working (and use strobe discs to adjust the speed) but I'd
really like to have it working. Many thanks for the help/comments.

Most turntable strobes used neon lamps. An LED would not likely have
gone bad, and it's unlikely that it used any sort of incandescent
lamp. New neon replacements that one can get these days are cheap made-in
China crap, and whereas your original lasted 30+ years, you'll be
lucky if the replacement lasts 3 years.

Hmm common neon bulbs are rated for 25,000 hour life. There are 8760
hours in a year. 3 years seems about right.

I wasn't talking about 3 years continuous use. The actual hours accumulated
in my mind would have been MUCH lass than that.

Changing the subject a bit, I've been seeing MCM fuse lamps and bayonet /
screw base lamps failing after less than 20 hours usage. Made in Taiwan /
China. It's unfortunate that where the originals last the user 30+ year,
when these lamps are replaced in the course of a repair, the lamps go out
within a month or 2 of average use.

I've gone to LED replacements for these lamps, from a guy over on eBay.
They're about 4.25 each, but you only have to do the job once.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

François Yves Le Gal writes:

On 22 Nov 2006 23:38:00 -0800, wrote:

Assuming the light
bulb/lamp has burned out, can it be replaced?

Yes. Check page 32 in the user manual (page 28 in the pdf below).

http://www.theanalogdept.com/images/.../Td125mkii.pdf

What a wonderful manual! A tribute to Thorens.
--
% Randy Yates % "She's sweet on Wagner-I think she'd die for Beethoven.
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % She love the way Puccini lays down a tune, and

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote:
[...]

This seems to be a widely-used approach that simply works.