Default Mixdown Levels--Mastering?

I have a home studio and I'm recording a group of songs with my band.
We are not trying to make this a clean/glossy pro studio recording.
I'm having some problems with matching my final mixdown levels with a
professionally recorded CD. I use Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and an old Allen &
Heath board. I have some decent mics and a good sounding room. I use
very little almost no compression. I do not want to get this mastered
at a studio. I just want the overall level to be higher. I don't
think it is the mix. I have had a lot of practice mixing and I make
sure each instrument/vocals has its own space in the mix.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

SSJVCmag

It's been said. Do Not try and get the LOUDNESS by comparison of a
commercially agressively-screwed-up dynamics push.

Play with this and get an idea what you like and how this works:
Mix it naked (like you;re doing) and get it as damned good as you can (NEVER
comparing it for loudness!).
Save that final mix forever.

NOW, get a compressor of choice/availability, start out with a fairly long
attack time and a midlin' release time so you get -some- dynamics work out
of it but aren't planing off EVERYthing resembling a dynamic hit and thus
whole feel of the thing. Listen, push, and see where you start really
disliking what you're losing to get MoreLoud. Go back a notch and print
that.

Repeat bunches with modifications.

Again, you are NOT going to get COMMERCIAL-ABUSE-HYPERCOMPRESSED results
here... You'll get a better overall sound.
If you want it louder, tuen up the playback volume.

On 4/18/05 11:57 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

I have a home studio and I'm recording a group of songs with my band.
We are not trying to make this a clean/glossy pro studio recording.
I'm having some problems with matching my final mixdown levels with a
professionally recorded CD. I use Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and an old Allen &
Heath board. I have some decent mics and a good sounding room. I use
very little almost no compression. I do not want to get this mastered
at a studio. I just want the overall level to be higher. I don't
think it is the mix. I have had a lot of practice mixing and I make
sure each instrument/vocals has its own space in the mix.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Roger W. Norman

Little or no compression is fine, but you might want to investigate some
compression across the two bus on the way out. Also, not sure what can be
done with the metering on CE 2.0, but if you can pull up average RMS and
peak hold at the same time, you can bring it up to about -15 dB (well,
that's my recipe) and limit at maybe -.1 and have a reasonably sounding CD
with decent dynamics. If you try to do what's being done today on CDs,
you'll be cramming every bit of dynamics into the last 3 dB of space and it
will flatten out that nicely spaced mix you have. Too much compression
simply collapses the stereo field.

I would absolutely avoid any idea of using individual track normalization
(well, normalization on anything), which may well bring up the individual
tracks, but then they won't fit together well.

If you've got VST compatibility, try BlockFish from DigitalFishPhones
(http://www.digitalfishphones.com/mai...em=2&subItem=5) for compression
across the master. It's a pretty nice compressor and it's free.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a home studio and I'm recording a group of songs with my band.
We are not trying to make this a clean/glossy pro studio recording.
I'm having some problems with matching my final mixdown levels with a
professionally recorded CD. I use Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and an old Allen &
Heath board. I have some decent mics and a good sounding room. I use
very little almost no compression. I do not want to get this mastered
at a studio. I just want the overall level to be higher. I don't
think it is the mix. I have had a lot of practice mixing and I make
sure each instrument/vocals has its own space in the mix.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

RD Jones

DIGITAL CLIPPING IS BAD, BAD, BAAAAD
(now that that's taken care of ...)

wrote:

I have a home studio and I'm recording a group of songs with my band.
We are not trying to make this a clean/glossy pro studio recording.
I'm having some problems with matching my final mixdown levels with a
professionally recorded CD. I use Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and an old Allen

&
Heath board. I have some decent mics and a good sounding room.

There are several ways to get levels louder or
to sound apparently louder.

Compression
Limiting
Distortion
Clipping

(Depending on how serious you are about
it not being "clean/glossy")

I use
very little almost no compression. I do not want to get this

mastered
at a studio. I just want the overall level to be higher. I don't

It's not really fair to expect results like a
'professionally recorded' CD if your not using
gobs of processing both on individual tracks AND
on the mix. Simple truth.

think it is the mix. I have had a lot of practice mixing and I make
sure each instrument/vocals has its own space in the mix.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Creating space in the mix for each part is in
essence like multiband, but allows more dynamics
than whole-hog squeezing.
I don't like what excessive clipping does to the sound
in most cases, and particularly on the drums.
I would suggest using a little bit of compression on
the appropriate tracks (vocal, bass, drum mix, clean guitars)
and limit just below clip on the main mix.
Just don't clip your drums to pieces.
Don't forget that toob-type soft distortion can fatten
up some instruments (even vocals).
Average RMS levels of -12dB (max) with peaks limited
to within a tenth of clipping will sound loud
enough for a 'loud rock' mix.

good luck
rd

ps- digital clipping is bad form, in poor taste
and causes cavities. Might even blow up a satellite.