Dave Hamaker

(mrbog) writes:

(Dave Hamaker) wrote in message . com...
(mrbog) writes:

I am, in fact, not trolling.

Claiming you're not is something I would expect a troll and a non-troll
to both do. Actions speak louder than words.

So what "actions" am I supposed to take- agree with your falsities
just so you'll know I'm not a troll?

Can't think of any at this point. From all your previous actions in this
thread, there's little doubt you are either a troll or a zealot.

I do not have an opinion about wallwart waste. My observations in that
area are simply that it appears that practically nobody seems to share
your hissy fit over it.

In general, I try to share my expertise, and not bother with my opinions
outside of my areas of expertise in this kind of forum. As such, I'm
pretty sure I've had enough chance to make myself clear, so I'm winding
down.

If the entire personal computing industry followed that logic, we'd all
have dumbed-down operating systems and one-button mice. Is it that nobody
else cares, or is it that nobody else want's to speak up and get 65
decibel worth of interference?

It's not like you made a post and got 65 responses to it. Rather, you
kept doing things that have kept them coming and coming.

Of course you don't care, but that doesn't mean you have a right to a
position which degrades the performance for everyone who does care.
I don't care if you can convince some manufacturer to add your feature
back, but I suspect it's not done because it no longer makes any economic
sense (i.e. your're in too small a minority for it to be worth doing).

I don't have a "right" to my position?? I'm sorry, I'm posting from
America, where I have a right to my position.

You know what I meant.

I know the net is international.. And I think we're butting up against
the same point of contention, you say my position is to "degrade the
performance for everyone who does care".

Nope. Don't put words in my mouth. I said something about your rights
where they deem to impinge on the rights of others.

And yes, heir audiophile,

It's a bit of a stretch to call me that, since I'm only pleased that
consumer soundcards now deliver performance comparable with other
consumer audio products, partly because of (by my estimation) increased
attention to sources of degradation.

in the absolute most technical measurable sence, I want degraded
performance. As I said in my first post "interference that only an
audiophile would notice." Technically one millionth of a decibel
(sp?) of interference counts as "degradation of performance". The
audiophiles' hypersensitivity seems to have ruined it for "the rest
of us".

Since the 1999 soundcards you refer to (the SBLive had already shipped
over 1 million cards in early 1999, and had no 4x out) SNR has improved
by 10's of decibels, not millionths.

That poster also said that more expensive headphones tend to require more
power as his prefix to that statement. That doesn't mean that it's true
that all high-quality headphones have that trait, though. Are you telling
me they're so dear all your decisions revolve around keeping them no
matter what? I still don't see how you reconcile headphone inefficiency
with your anti-wallwart, anti-battery posture.

How about I post this as an argument instead for you: It used to be
that soundcards would be loud enough for all headphones. Now they're
only loud enough for some. That's progress? And as I pointed out, my
headphones aren't to blame.

Lots of available products use wallwarts. That proves, by the same kind
of logic you use to prove your headphones are not to blame, that wallwarts
are not to blame. It's too easy a problem to solve, and a simple cost that
goes along with updating your hardware and/or OS, unless you are a zealot
who feels deprived. The 4x out was never sold as a headphone jack, but as
a speaker jack for unamped speakers. The other jack was a line-out for
amped speakers and other amped audio uses. When unamped speakers fell out
of favor, so did the jack intended for them. It became expendable.

Face it. You're arguing that the reason it's OK, good, proper, to
make people use wall warts to get adequate volume is because people
are dumb enough to not care. That's not a good corner to put yourself
in.

Nobody has to use a wallwart for this. I suggest buying a pair of Radio
Shack Pro-35 headphones on sale.

Look, you have to look at this as painting two pictures of the
world....

That's the realm of "mere opinion" that I'm trying to avoid. This debate
is hardly likely to bring back 4x speaker jacks, so it just becomes an
ego-invested argument. I think many of the posts were only trying to
give you specific advice for solving your specific stated problem, since
it wasn't yet clear this was only about you trying to sell the subject
(I guess so you could blame the stupidity of others for your unwillingness
to adapt).

Here's some mere opinion from me:
We don't agree about who's being stupid about wallwarts. I think that
the folks who don't care are right, and you're wrong. I think you are
being a politically-correct ideologue about wallwarts and are partial
to exaggerated evidence that supports your view, because it makes you
feel like you're on the side of saving the world. I'm no electronics
expert, but I'm sure a more-expensive wallwart design with negligible
off-duty draw is well within the present state of our knowledge. As
such, I'm sure economics will cause that shift if your guesses about
where this is all headed prove correct, or just if sufficient consensus
develops.

I see evidence of "zero-sum" thinking from you, and risk aversion
thinking fundamentally based on fear. You know, one of the things
that becomes more likely with the disappearance of 4x soundcard outs
is more headphones that don't need them, and fewer that do. I'm sure
you can see why.

Some refuted the claim that wall warts are sucking power 24/7. Others
disagreed with them, because they are flatly wrong.

I don't care, and you haven't said anything to make me care. Rather,
your shrill, dogmatic posture on it inclines me to care even less.
Makes me think of "Chicken Little."

Oh yea, your calling me names and I'm the one who's trolling, right?
(Btw I don't understand how your paragraph there is in response to
what's above it?)

There's no name-calling there. I'm accurately describing the attitude
of your posture in this thread, and telling you what it brings to my mind.

As far as I see, though, that is the whole extent of any support you
have gotten. I can't recall a single post supporting with your premise
that cards are worse because 4x out has been dumped.

For once, Dave, we completely agree. You audiophiles don't like that
4x out.

I really don't identify with audiophiles. No high-end gear here. I
often argue with people who have "more is better" attitude about audio.
Such audio ideologues remind me of you in some strange way, actually. :-)

I'm listening to ample volume from my SBLive right now with some RadioShack
Pro-25's, with the phones volume control at about 1/3 up. Nice sound.

My girlfriend's Ipod headphones are just as inadequately loud as my
sony's. ****ty sound.

Let me teach you about the logic of the existence proof. It only takes
one example to disprove the position that something does not exist (i.e.
power-efficient headphones), but the reverse is not true (i.e. one or two
examples of power-inefficient headphones does not prove that power-efficient
headphones do not exist or even that they aren't readily available).

-Dave

Ron Capik

Minderbinder wrote:

...snip, snip, snip..

Yes, that's right, it is. A few times in the thread I said "The fact
remains I could get a soundcard that did what I wanted ('louder,
please') in 1999, and I can't now." No one, not one single responder,
has been able to refute that. They call me names, they tell me to buy
wall warts, they tell me my needs are eccentric (volume is eccentric?),
they tell me I'm trolling, they tell me to **** off, but no one can deny
that one simple fact. It stands.

I think this paragraph is representative of various problems with mrbog's
written style. Consider:

1. Rather than putting forward a neutral question, mrbog makes a strong
assumption, which he then expects people to "refute". The tone is hostile
and aggressive, and therefore invites challenges rather than helpful

I've followed the whole thread and don't have a clue what mrbog's age might be

....but have a feeling he reflects a modern trend of confrontation.
In example: A vendor recently updated it's web page and it now crashes my
(rather old) browser. So I sent a note to the webmaster to alert them.

Here are snips from the response:

Me ...I'd rather browse with 4.5.

That is fine and dandy but 4.5 is years old now, and there
are much more browser advancements that have been made that you
need to be taken advantage of.

[Like I "need to be taken advantage of." OK, I'll write that off to not proof
reading... ]
--- ---
Me ...running windows 98se.

Ummm you probably would spend a lot less time writing messages like
this if you could use a version of winder$ that is at least less then
6 years old. :-)
--- ---
Anyway, the tone was a bit less than professional. Now take that tone over
to usenet and ...well, we get the mrbog thread.
Now, oddly this thread has remained on topic; hope I don't sway that trend.
;-)

Later...

Ron Capik cynic in training

mrbog

"TonyP" wrote in message . au...
If the AWE was really the best soundcard ever made, why aren't you using it
rather than complaining?

TonyP.

See my original post for the answer to the above question.

(I wonder if Hamaker will somehow accuse me of trolling for this response too.)
mrbog

"Karl Uppiano" wrote in message news:DsTqd.3915$Hk6.3667@trnddc05...
My girlfriend's Ipod headphones are just as inadequately loud as my
sony's. ****ty sound.

I have never had any trouble getting adequate, approaching deafening,
loudness from today's sound cards using a wide variety of headphones,
including some relatively insensitive high-end phones.

Since it seems we have finally ruled out your use of insensitive headphones
(after much gnashing of teeth), I guess we must assume something else is at
fault. Here are some things that come to mind:

1. You like your audio dangerously loud.
2. Your hearing is impaired, possibly due to #1 above (no offense -- we must
cover the possibilities).
3. Your source material is recorded unusually low (i.e., not to standard).
4. Your system is somehow misconfigured.

You don't say which audio source is too low (CD, DVD, MP3, WAV, Synth,
other, or all). The more recent versions of Windows Media Player can be set
to reduce the dynamic range of DVDs, so soft passages aren't as soft (or
maybe louder passages aren't as loud, or both). So that might or might not
help, I don't know.

On a Windows XP system, you might want to go to Control Panel / Sounds and
Audio Devices / Volume / Advanced. On the Volume Control dialog, make sure
all the sliders are all the way up. Also, check Options / Properties to make
sure the device you're trying to control is being displayed, and that it's
volume is all the way up. Then gingerly try your headphones again. You might
want to start with the master volume all the way down to avoid nasty
surprises. My apologies if you have already tried this, or if this has
already been suggested. It's a long thread, I might have missed it.

If your hearing has been impaired, you fall into the "special needs"
category, and you might indeed require external amplification. I know this
has been discussed to death, but that might involve the use of a wall wart.
If you are honestly concerned about the stand-by power consumption, you can
plug it into a switched power strip and turn it on only when you are using
it. I'm afraid it's the standard way these things are done these days. The
vast majority of consumers are fine with it, which is why few alternatives
exist. As I mentioned in a previous post, consumers vote with their dollars,
and evidently the 4x output didn't get enough votes.

Finally, you could have an electronics hobbyist or electronics technician
increase the gain of your sound card. It's relatively simple for someone
with a schematic (or someone who is a good guesser) that knows their
electronics and knows how to solder surface mount parts.

Anyway, if none of this helps, I really don't think anyone here can help
you. Anyway, good luck.

Thanks for going to the trouble to write that, but yea, it's all
unfortunately either been suggested before or ruled out. An my
hearing is above average..

What I've been through in trying to find an adequate soundcard has
been a long struggle. Ever since I got win2k, in 2000, (and then
later XP) I've been trying to get a louder soundcard. I've bought 4,
all of which I either returned, resold, or are sitting in my closet.
They're all not loud enough. Maybe for "easy-listening" old people,
these are loud enough. My music demands volume, and on that point I
know I'm not alone.

I could hire a technition I guess. But what does that say about
modern soundcard that I have to hire a guy just to get what I had in
99 for $30? And that's my point. Which is apparently very illogical
because I'm getting flamed for it, and even called a troll for it.

But no one can directly refute it.
Karl Uppiano

I could hire a technition I guess. But what does that say about
modern soundcard that I have to hire a guy just to get what I had in
99 for $30? And that's my point. Which is apparently very illogical
because I'm getting flamed for it, and even called a troll for it.

What it says, I'm afraid, is that the market has moved on. The cards made
today actually have superior performance over what was available in '99, and
they have other features that are more in demand, and dropped features that
are less in demand. All engineering is a compromise. Most specifications and
product requirements are in some kind of conflict, be it price, available
space, noise, distortion, gain, frequency response, etc. Not every consumer
cares about every feature, but the designers and engineers have to weigh one
against the other, and produce a product that will make them money (or at
least, not lose money in the case of a lot of computer hardware).

So you are now faced with a dilemma: Either live with the low sound levels,
or use one of the less appealing solutions that are fairly inexpensively
available. The response to your post might have been less objectionable if
you had written the subject line in a way that no one could possibly argue
with: "My favorite PC soundcard was made in 1999". It is a simple,
indisputable statement of fact. Of course, the solutions offered wouldn't
have been any different, because there aren't any others.

I don't suppose it will make you feel any better, but as an audiophile, I
really prefer the straigtforward stereo amplifiers/receivers (with phono
preamps) that were built in the '70s and '80s. I care not a fig for 5.1 or
6.1 or 3.14 surround, or whatever gimmick it is these days. I don't need a
control panel that makes the space shuttle look puny. I guess you could say
that I think the best stereos were built before 1980 (by Heathkit and me).
Sure, there are still a few 2-channel receivers out there, but the selection
is much smaller now than it was then, and frankly, I can't afford the ones I
like, and I don't like the ones I can afford. Fortunately, my Heathkit is
still working fine, and it's still compatible with most source equipment
(for the time being), so I'm not SOL just yet. YMMV with computer
technology.

mrbog

Minderbinder wrote in message .. .

*sigh* In an attempt to bring some closure to this thread, I'm going to
assume that mrbog is not, in fact, trolling and deliberately insulting
everyone (difficult as it may be to believe) - and therefore, will attempt
to summarise things as objectively as I can.

If we assume that mrbog is seriously attempting to solve a problem both
politely and logically, I can identify a few things which have very likely
led to the giant flame war that has resulted.

Minderbinder, I hope I can at least clear up something right here from
the start:

I am in fact NOT "seriously attempting to solve a problem both
politely and logically". There's no typo there, I mean exactly that!
That's not what I'm trying to do! I am also NOT trolling. You see,
there's a different, valid reason, to post what I did, and follow up
as the thread progressed. The purpose of my post is as follows:

The primary reason for my post is to point out that the present
selection of soundcards is fundamentally flawed. Soundcards are too
quiet. Now notice- that's neither "trying to solve me problem", NOR
is it "trolling". I feel as though this is a discussion that needs to
happen. My assertion, repeated again and again is that my very simple
demand "volume" has been left in the lurch and I'm forced to either
get a wallwart or an electrician. I still maintain that that IS A
GOOD POINT THAT NEEDED TO BE MADE. And further, has not been
adequately refuted. The purpose of newsgroups isn't purely question
and answer. It's also discussion of the industry, where are we
headed? is it a good idea? (Now don't respond and tell me that I just
said that newsgroupd are NOT for question-answer, because that's not
what I just said, read it.)

The secondary reason is to try and solve my problem. Secondary. I
didn't, and ultimately don't think my problem will be solved. But I
want to tell you- a couple times here I thought we almost had it. I
looked into every offered solution with the hopes that my years long
"struggle" would be over. But unfortunately it didn't work out.
You're going to nitpick on polite sugar coating, and all I have to say
to that is, people aren't angry at HOW I said what I did, they're
angry at hearing that their advice was flawed. And that the soundcard
of today may be lacking in an essential feature.

Yes, that's right, it is. A few times in the thread I said "The fact
remains I could get a soundcard that did what I wanted ('louder,
please') in 1999, and I can't now." No one, not one single responder,
has been able to refute that. They call me names, they tell me to buy
wall warts, they tell me my needs are eccentric (volume is eccentric?),
they tell me I'm trolling, they tell me to **** off, but no one can deny
that one simple fact. It stands.

I think this paragraph is representative of various problems with mrbog's
written style. Consider:

1. Rather than putting forward a neutral question, mrbog makes a strong
assumption, which he then expects people to "refute". The tone is hostile
and aggressive, and therefore invites challenges rather than helpful

What "assumption" did I put forth in that paragraph? Be specific,
otherwise it's empty statement.

2. mrbog repeatedly insists that his opinions are "facts", implying that
his statements are based on objective measurements, rather than
subjective, personal preference and experience. By extension, the belief
that the best soundcards were _not_ made in 1999, or that current
soundcards are loud enough, is akin to believing that the sky is green.

Be specific. Which of my opinions did I claim are facts. Your
statement is empty if it's not employing references. (Wallwarts
wasting power isn't opinion, go reach over begind you PC and touch an
AC adapter, it's warm when the device is not in used. case closed.
that's not an opinion.)

This is the dumbest thing you said in your otherwise thorough response.
So you're saying my problem is I'm not dumb eough to be happy about
plugging an ac adapter into my wall?? One estimate stated that 5% of
all power consumption in the US is from appliances that are turned OFF
and the AC adapters are still sucking. Do you call that a "power
nuance"? I read your paragraph three times I don't understand where
you're going with that.

Immediately classifying any response that doesn't match your own opinion
as "wrong" or "dumb" is extremely rude. If somebody tries to offer an
explanation, even if it is incorrect due to some oversight or mistake, it
is extremely rude and hostile bluntly to say "you're wrong". I'm pretty
sure this would be considered unacceptable and anti-social if you said it
to somebody's face, even bearing in mind the rather direct,
confrontational nature of American English.

Nope, I don't agree at all. If someone says the sky is red, I can't
say "you're wrong, it's blue", just because that would be "rude"???
If that's the length you want people to go to, to meet your behavior
standard, then you're going to far. You want argument without
argumentative?

As I said to Amy, "Should I pretend that the advice is good advice
just because it's free?" And THAT is a metaphor for this entire thread.

A more polite strategy would be to say something like, "I have to disagree
with point X, because of [give evidence]. Can you suggest something else,
that might work in this case?". It's perfectly natural for people to get
angry when their suggestions are dismissed as "wrong", without even a
reference to some objective evidence.

That's out of context. You strategically didn't include what Amy had
said. Everyone, look at what Amy said in that post that I was
responding to, then come back and tell me I was in appropriate.

1. Following up a short expression of gratitude, "thanks", with "you're
wrong and don't have a solution" probably won't be taken positively.

OK right here, you lost me. We're on different planets. You're making
yourself look like the type of person that, every time someone says
"no", he says "well that's not very positive". Look, sometimes the
answer is NO. Ho do I tell you you're wrong without telling you your
wrong? It's absurd. This thread is people attacking the messenger
and the phrasing of the message, but not the content of it. You just
don't like hearing that someone with simple demands could be left in
the lurch by modern soundcards. It must be mrbog's fault. He must be
either eccentric, or rude.

Similarly, the "thanks" was also qualified with a condescending "at least
you tried", as if you were in some kind of superior position, offering
encouragement to the intellectually feeble.

????? Now you're like the person who gets mad when someone says "have
a nice day" because he thinks everyone's sarcastic. Look it's clear
that you read my post with a red visor over your mental eyes. Surely
if I'm disagreeing I must be a sarcastic asshole, that's the only
logical explanation for me saying "thanks" and "at least you tried".
I'm sure now that I'm not the one with the problem here.

2. I know what I said about power bricks. I don't need to be reminded.
Similarly, It's sufficient to say "unfortunately, the Extigy requires a
power brick" for me to realise my mistake. I don't need you to go to the
extra effort of saying "I guess you didn't know that". Again, you seem to
delight in pointing out the mistakes of others.

We're in la-la land- you interpret the absolutely plain phrase "I
guess you didn't know that" to be "delight". Come on man. You're
sounding like a "spin doctor" after a debate.

3. Actually, I do know a fair bit about connecting computer and consumer
audio equipment, and have years of industry (and hobby) experience with PC
hardware of all kinds. There's good reason to ask whether you intend to
connect passive speakers, an external amplifier, headphones or whatever.
You nevertheless claim that you made your needs perfectly clear,
dismissing as nonsense all requests for clarification. Actually, if you
had said from the start that you were getting insufficient output to drive
a pair of headphones, we could quickly have narrowed the problem down to
your current card, rather than post-1999 cards in general. Almost any card
currently on the market generates sufficient power to drive a set of
headphones.

Yea, actually, I've bought 4 cards trying to solve this problem. I've
also tried multiple pairs of headphones. And to your point that it
matters whether I was using headphones or external speakers- I have
yet to see an explanation of why that matters. A practical
explanation. Having that information hasn't seemed to help or hurt
anything here.

4. You didn't specify a budget in your original post. Looking at the
thread in general, you have been very stingy with the details of what your
actual needs are. Thus, many posters have made reasonable suggestions,
only to be ambushed by requirements that they had no way of knowing about.

Nope, my reaons for pointing out the price issues are not to add a
requirement to my problem (and it's solution), but rather toward the
primary purpose of my post. To point out that soundcards now are
lacking in key areas. They "ain't what they used to be" when it comes
to volume. If I have to pay 3 times as much in 2004 for what I could
get in 99, then whether or not I have the cash is irrelevant- the
point is, the industries going the wrong direction (in regards to that
one key issue).

Since I've gone this far, I thought I may as well have a go at re-writing
mrbog's original message in a way that I think would be much more likely
to draw useful responses:

I read your example post, and it sounded familiar. I'm gonna
throw you a curveball here, my friend:

http://tinyurl.com/4bs92
http://tinyurl.com/5dgmu

BTW, I even TOOK some of the advices in the responses and ended up
returing soundcards! After 3 years I've figured out that "it ain't
me".

Finally I have to say there's a bit of irony here. You write a post
detailing the nuances of politeness, and you're the same guy that
wrote this post a week ago, featuring "Knobhead", "Flying ****", and
"lazy whinger":

http://tinyurl.com/5b3nc

Oh yea, I'm going to take tact advice from you. Your not exactly Emily
Post. Three words for you: Pot, Kettle, Black.
Ralph

I myself prefer that the soundcards do NOT have amplifiers built in.
Why? Because they are generally low quality 1 watt or less amps. As the
output approaches the limit of the amp, you have nothing but distortion.
The peak voltages present during distortion can easily ruin the best
speakers made.
I prefer a optical or digital coaxial output fed into a high quality amp of
200 watts RMS minimum per speaker.
You can kiss your old card powered two channel soundcard goodbye.
Those days are over.
Also realize that if someone did decide to make a card with the amp built in
like you want, it may not need a wall wart to power it but you can be
assured that it will draw the same power via the bus it's plugged into.
Do you really think that the cards of 1999 did not need power to run the
onboard amps?

Welcome to modern days. Instead of the computers power supply providing the
power needed, the wall wart does it!
Sure, you could move the amp inside most cheap speakers back on to the sound
card. What would you gain?? The sound card itself would now require that
much more power. So now say the half amp of power that the wall wart was
using is no longer needed but guess what? The computers power supply has to
deliver that same amount of current. So where are the savings? None that I
can see. Maybe the fact that the no longer needed wall wart will no longer
occupy an outlet in your power strip?

Simplicity wise, yes the older soundcards were great! Plug in the speakers
and go.
I had many that had built in amps. The later ones all had jumpers that would
route the line out to the jacks instead of the cards built in amp.

Anyhow, this is my take on the situation here.

"mrbog" wrote in message
om...
Minderbinder wrote in message
.. .

[...]

TonyP

"Ralph" wrote in message
Welcome to modern days. Instead of the computers power supply providing

the
power needed, the wall wart does it!
Sure, you could move the amp inside most cheap speakers back on to the

sound
card. What would you gain?? The sound card itself would now require that
much more power. So now say the half amp of power that the wall wart was
using is no longer needed but guess what? The computers power supply has

deliver that same amount of current. So where are the savings? None that

can see. Maybe the fact that the no longer needed wall wart will no longer
occupy an outlet in your power strip?

You have still missed the main reason why power amps were removed from
soundcards. The extra current on the card increased the noise and distortion
for all outputs, including line out.
You will not find ANY card with an inbuilt power amp that remotely
approaches the performance of the better soundcards available today.

TonyP.

TonyP

"mrbog" wrote in message
m...
"TonyP" wrote in message

. au...
If the AWE was really the best soundcard ever made, why aren't you using

it
rather than complaining?

See my original post for the answer to the above question.

In other words you can't answer so you snipped the context.

It's not the best card ever made if you no longer choose to use it. Many
others still do.
What your looking for is a *better* soundcard, like most of the current
ones, but with an onboard power amp.

TonyP.

TonyP

[...]

Actually there are much better stereo amps being made now at most price
points.
I measured a Chinese 80W per channel amp selling for $100 US, and it
comprehensively outperformed any amplifier I tested in the 70's or 80's for
twice that much, not even allowing for inflation. Even the metal case and
PCB quality was superior. The only thing missing now is an RIAA pre-amp.
You can now buy a 400W per channel stereo power amp for around $300 US. Try
doing that in the 70's. Now compare wages! :-)
I will admit there is some real crap available at even greater prices for
the uninitiated.

TonyP.

Minderbinder

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 00:25:12 -0800, mrbog wrote:

Oh yea, I'm going to take tact advice from you. Your not exactly Emily
Post. Three words for you: Pot, Kettle, Black.

Ahaha... Looks like my first impressions were right after all. Noooo
mrbog, I'm not going to follow your tinyurl links (which are usually used
by lamers to diguise their links to goatse.cx). You see, the difference
between you and me is that if I find out that somebody is a cocksucker who
persistently sticks to his stupid dogma, and will admit no argument, then
I have no reservations telling him just how stupid I consider him to be. I
don't start out a thread by abusing everyone on the forum and making long,
whinging rants with the aim of "stimulating discussion" (trolling for
arguments). Or did you perhaps think that some electrical engineer would
read your rant and think "mrbog is on to something - and makes his point
so eloquently" - and then build a special audio card just for you?

AhahahahahahHAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Haaahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa! Hehe... hehe...
heh.

Oh boy, you're a card. Do you really think that the fact that you've
received so many hostile responses is because all these people are blinded
by the sheer brilliance of your logic - thus causing their feeble brains
to revolt against the One Truth? No, mrbog - it's because you're a rude
trolling lamer who is incapable of taking two sides of an argument into
consideration. My general impression of the thread is that several people
have made good points and offered plausible explanations for the decline
of amplified sound cards - and rather than discuss these points and give
them the consideration they deserve, you respond with blunt refusals.
Since you seem unwilling, or unable to express yourself clearly (of which
you seem unaware - or at least unwilling to admit) and in a way that
promotes rational discussion, the problem just gets worse.

Rather than attack your right to free speech, I suggest that your ranting
belongs in a weblog, where the general public can easily choose to visit
or not as they please - rather than hurling it into a discussion forum
(where your views seem to be universally unpopular) like so much mud
thrown at the neighbour's clean sheets.

At any rate, this thread is getting tiresomely repetitive. There is no
discussion, just bull**** - and yes, it is your fault.

George Jetson

"TonyP" wrote in message
u...

"mrbog" wrote in message
m...
"TonyP" wrote in message

. au...
If the AWE was really the best soundcard ever made, why aren't you
using

it
rather than complaining?

See my original post for the answer to the above question.

In other words you can't answer so you snipped the context.

It's not the best card ever made if you no longer choose to use it. Many
others still do.
What your looking for is a *better* soundcard, like most of the current
ones, but with an onboard power amp.

TonyP.

If nine out of ten people tell you that "your full of ****", a logical
person should be able to consider that it is possible he is.

--
They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 30 Nov 2004 23:25:12 -0800, (mrbog) wrote:

The primary reason for my post is to point out that the present
selection of soundcards is fundamentally flawed. Soundcards are too
quiet.

In *your* opinion, not that of the majority of users. Furthermore,
that is *not* a 'fundamental flaw', it is a sensible engineering
choice which *you* don't like - different thing entirely.

Now notice- that's neither "trying to solve me problem", NOR
is it "trolling".

It is however being a ludicrously self-centred asshole............

I feel as though this is a discussion that needs to
happen. My assertion, repeated again and again is that my very simple
demand "volume" has been left in the lurch and I'm forced to either
get a wallwart or an electrician. I still maintain that that IS A
GOOD POINT THAT NEEDED TO BE MADE. And further, has not been
adequately refuted.

Sure it has, but you're as deaf to the written word as you appear to
be via headphones.

You're going to nitpick on polite sugar coating, and all I have to say
to that is, people aren't angry at HOW I said what I did, they're
angry at hearing that their advice was flawed. And that the soundcard
of today may be lacking in an essential feature.

If it were 'essential', it would be there. Fact is, it's *not*
essential, and it would be a waste of money and power for the vast
majority of users, so it's *you* who is the odd one out here.

2. mrbog repeatedly insists that his opinions are "facts", implying that
his statements are based on objective measurements, rather than
subjective, personal preference and experience. By extension, the belief
that the best soundcards were _not_ made in 1999, or that current
soundcards are loud enough, is akin to believing that the sky is green.

Be specific. Which of my opinions did I claim are facts.

See your first quoted paragraph at the start of this post. Just
because *you* want ear-bleeding power from a soundcard (but no one
else seems to), you state that this *is* a fundamental flaw, and that
'soundcards *are* too quiet'. These are not any any kind of 'facts',
that's purely your *opinion*, and it's very much a minority opinion.

Your
statement is empty if it's not employing references. (Wallwarts
wasting power isn't opinion, go reach over begind you PC and touch an
AC adapter, it's warm when the device is not in used. case closed.
that's not an opinion.)

Switch it off, asshole. What *you* want would be wasting power *all*
the time the PC is powered up, and for *all* those people who don't
ever need the power that you do.

If someone says the sky is red, I can't
say "you're wrong, it's blue", just because that would be "rude"???

Nope, but you're claiming that it's green, and you're just plain
wrong, but as dumb and stubborn as a Missouri mule.

You just
don't like hearing that someone with simple demands could be left in
the lurch by modern soundcards. It must be mrbog's fault. He must be
either eccentric, or rude.

Rude and dumb, I'd say. Stop whining and buy a headphone amp.

Nope, my reaons for pointing out the price issues are not to add a
requirement to my problem (and it's solution), but rather toward the
primary purpose of my post. To point out that soundcards now are
lacking in key areas.

They're not, only in one very specific area which virtually no one
else requires.

They "ain't what they used to be" when it comes
to volume. If I have to pay 3 times as much in 2004 for what I could
get in 99, then whether or not I have the cash is irrelevant- the
point is, the industries going the wrong direction (in regards to that
one key issue).

You just can't see past your own *very peculiar* needs, can you? I bet
you were one of those classic whining kids, always demanding candy at
the supermarket checkout.

You've had plenty of good advice as to how to get enough volume to
split your inch-thick skull, using 2004 technology. If you don't like
it, there's no point in you stamping your ickle feet and demanding
more power from soundcards. It ain't gonna happen, so live with it.

TonyP

"George Jetson" wrote in message
If nine out of ten people tell you that "your full of ****", a logical
person should be able to consider that it is possible he is.

Yes and a lot more than that have said that already to Mr Bog.
However 9 out of 10 people once thought the earth was flat too, so that's no
proof of anything really.

TonyP.

Minderbinder

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:01:06 +1100, TonyP wrote:

"George Jetson" wrote in message
If nine out of ten people tell you that "your full of ****", a logical
person should be able to consider that it is possible he is.

Yes and a lot more than that have said that already to Mr Bog. However 9
out of 10 people once thought the earth was flat too, so that's no proof
of anything really.

If Stephen Hawking tells me the universe is finite, and surrounded by a
thin crispy shell of delicious chocolate, I might disagree with him, but I
won't immediately shout "YOU'RE WRONG AND STUPID!" either. If someone with
his background is saying it, it might be worth giving it some thought
first. I don't think George made any claims of "proof".

I'm well prepared to consider the possibility that mrbog is both trolling
and full of ****. In fact, it looks like a very high probability.

TonyP

"Minderbinder" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:01:06 +1100, TonyP wrote:
"George Jetson" wrote in message
If nine out of ten people tell you that "your full of ****", a logical
person should be able to consider that it is possible he is.

Yes and a lot more than that have said that already to Mr Bog. However 9
out of 10 people once thought the earth was flat too, so that's no proof
of anything really.

If Stephen Hawking tells me the universe is finite, and surrounded by a
thin crispy shell of delicious chocolate, I might disagree with him, but I
won't immediately shout "YOU'RE WRONG AND STUPID!" either. If someone with
his background is saying it, it might be worth giving it some thought
first. I don't think George made any claims of "proof".

Agreed, I was just pointing that out.

I'm well prepared to consider the possibility that mrbog is both trolling
and full of ****. In fact, it looks like a very high probability.

Agreed. Or maybe he's just stupid and stubborn. Who knows, who cares.

TonyP.

mrbog

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message . ..
It is however being a ludicrously self-centred asshole............

The reason I'm a "ludicrously self-centred asshole" is because I
posted a topic for discussion rather than an "ask the experts" style
post?

Switch it off, asshole. What *you* want would be wasting power *all*
the time the PC is powered up, and for *all* those people who don't
ever need the power that you do.

The alternative, wallwarts, waste MORE power ALL the time. You just
factually lose there, it's black and white. (And notice, I'm the one
who threw out "asshole" first here. I've been one of the adults on
this thread, not one of the children.)

Rude and dumb, I'd say. Stop whining and buy a headphone amp.

Battery waste. Wallwarts. You really don't get that by now?

You just can't see past your own *very peculiar* needs, can you? I bet
you were one of those classic whining kids, always demanding candy at
the supermarket checkout.

My "very peculiar needs"? My peculiar need is "More volume without
excessively wasting power". Oh yea, that's so peculiar, I'm so
bizarre and twisted for wanting that.

It ain't gonna happen, so live with it.

For once, we agree.
mrbog

"TonyP" wrote in message . au...
You have still missed the main reason why power amps were removed from
soundcards. The extra current on the card increased the noise and distortion
for all outputs, including line out.
You will not find ANY card with an inbuilt power amp that remotely
approaches the performance of the better soundcards available today.

TonyP.

Nor do I WANT a card that approaches the "performance" of the "better
soundcards available today". Only audiophiles care about that
miniscule difference. I was PERFECTLY happy with my 1999 soundcard.
And all I wanted was a little more volume without wasting a LOT more
power. It's that simple.
mrbog

"TonyP" wrote in message . au...
"mrbog" wrote in message
m...
"TonyP" wrote in message

. au...
If the AWE was really the best soundcard ever made, why aren't you using

it
rather than complaining?

See my original post for the answer to the above question.

In other words you can't answer so you snipped the context.

It's not the best card ever made if you no longer choose to use it. Many
others still do.
What your looking for is a *better* soundcard, like most of the current
ones, but with an onboard power amp.

TonyP.

You know I was going to let this string in the thread go without
comment, but your post is just so feeble I can't let it go.

You asked "If the AWE was really the best soundcard ever made, why
aren't you using it rather than complaining?"

I said "See my original post for the answer to the above question."

My original post says: "Now, you can't. Even if you use a pci
soundblaster card circa 2001 that does have the amped out, you still
can't use the amp port on it
because windows drivers don't support it."

And you're really telling me my response was somehow just an attempt
to bail out of your context??

I know everyone likes to pile on here, but come on. Let's not lose
rationality in our hatred of ole mrbog.
mrbog

(Dave Hamaker) wrote in message .com...

Can't think of any at this point. From all your previous actions in this
thread, there's little doubt you are either a troll or a zealot.

I must be a zealot! I'll take that label. Oh wait, unless that's an
established internet term that I don't know about. If you're going by
the dictionary, then hell yea, I'm a zealot about this. When most of
the industry is wrong and you're right, isn't the right thing to do to
become a zealot?

I do not have an opinion about wallwart waste. My observations in that
area are simply that it appears that practically nobody seems to share
your hissy fit over it.

http://dataweek.co.za/news.asp?pklNe...ategory ID=46

Also search for a New York Times article, it was on the cover of the
circuits section earlier this year, I believe. Also see some of the
posts on this thread AGREEING WITH ME (shocking!) about how ****ty
wall warts are.

It's not like you made a post and got 65 responses to it. Rather, you
kept doing things that have kept them coming and coming.

We do agree about that. What I did to make them keep coming is respond
to flatly wrong and/or illogical statments. And respond to questions
directed at me (I supposed you're going to say I'm trolling when I
respond to someone's question?). And thanking people for their
suggestions while also telling them why the suggestion won't work. Is
that trolling?

I know the net is international.. And I think we're butting up against
the same point of contention, you say my position is to "degrade the
performance for everyone who does care".

Nope. Don't put words in my mouth. I said something about your rights
where they deem to impinge on the rights of others.

I'm impinging on other's rights? how? wanting a louder soundcard?

Since the 1999 soundcards you refer to (the SBLive had already shipped
over 1 million cards in early 1999, and had no 4x out) SNR has improved
by 10's of decibels, not millionths.

Look, I'm not an audio expert. Have I mentioned. To me, soundcards
haven't improved by 10' of decibels, they've degraded by decibels.
Literally, they're quieter. All I wants a bit more volume.

Lots of available products use wallwarts. That proves, by the same kind
of logic you use to prove your headphones are not to blame, that wallwarts
are not to blame. It's too easy a problem to solve, and a simple cost that
goes along with updating your hardware and/or OS, unless you are a zealot
who feels deprived.

I don't follow your logic here. I'm honestly sorry, maybe it's me,
I'm reading it over and over and I'm not getting it. (seriously it
could be me, I just don't follow what you're saying).

Nobody has to use a wallwart for this. I suggest buying a pair of Radio
Shack Pro-35 headphones on sale.

Why? I need to buy special super-sensitive headphones in order to get
decent volume? That's improvement?

Look, you have to look at this as painting two pictures of the
world....

That's the realm of "mere opinion" that I'm trying to avoid. This debate
is hardly likely to bring back 4x speaker jacks, so it just becomes an
ego-invested argument. I think many of the posts were only trying to
give you specific advice for solving your specific stated problem, since
it wasn't yet clear this was only about you trying to sell the subject
(I guess so you could blame the stupidity of others for your unwillingness
to adapt).

I'm going to guess you work in a technical field. You want to avoid
opinion debates. You want facts and reality you can stick to. Well,
this IS an opinion debate. I say "I think we should do it this way,
the way we used to was better" You say "no, it's better now that in
was then." If that's an opinion debate, then this is an opinion
debate. So you should get out of it I guess.

Here's some mere opinion from me:
We don't agree about who's being stupid about wallwarts. I think that
the folks who don't care are right, and you're wrong. I think you are
being a politically-correct ideologue about wallwarts and are partial
to exaggerated evidence that supports your view, because it makes you
feel like you're on the side of saving the world. I'm no electronics
expert, but I'm sure a more-expensive wallwart design with negligible
off-duty draw is well within the present state of our knowledge. As
such, I'm sure economics will cause that shift if your guesses about
where this is all headed prove correct, or just if sufficient consensus
develops.

People are dumb!! People's buying habbits cause stupidity in the
world. It's the reason that all cars made are so unsafe. It's the
reason Vanilla Ice had the fastest selling album ever!! It's the
reason wallwarts are still inefficient. You think they're all right
to not care about wallwarts. I'm sorry but you're with the idiots
there! And that's NOT an opinion debate. The crappy inefficiency of
wall warts is NOT my "opinion". If you don't aggree, you need to just
read up on the subject. Hell, read some of what people said in this
thread about them.

My girlfriend's Ipod headphones are just as inadequately loud as my
sony's. ****ty sound.

Let me teach you about the logic of the existence proof. It only takes
one example to disprove the position that something does not exist (i.e.
power-efficient headphones), but the reverse is not true (i.e. one or two
examples of power-inefficient headphones does not prove that power-efficient
headphones do not exist or even that they aren't readily available).

Now hold on- this isn't fair. I didn't say "power-efficient headphones
don't exist" Who's putting words in whose mouth? You said my
headphones must be the problem (repeatedly), I said I have the same
problem with other headphones. You interpret that as me saying that
power-efficient headphones don't exist? Which one of us needs a logic
lesson?

If most soundcards are this quiet on ipod headphones, I move that
that's a general problem with most soundcards made today. Ipod
headphones are pretty common (and pretty representative of the norm,
as I've read). You're positioning yourself against them. So tell me,
how many different headphones do I have to try to convince you that
this is a general problem. If most soundcards made today require
people to get special sensitive headphones, then that makes my point.
"They don't make em like they used to."

mrbog

Minderbinder wrote in message . ..

Folks, I resy my case about this Mindbinder guy. Some highlights:

Ahaha... Looks like my first impressions were right after all. Noooo
mrbog, I'm not going to follow your tinyurl links (which are usually used
by lamers to diguise their links to goatse.cx).

I'm sure other people have, and they're seeing what an ass you're
being, or seeing how you're avoiding adressing those usenet posts in
your response here. You're doing my work for me, thanks.

You see, the difference
between you and me is that if I find out that somebody is a cocksucker who
persistently sticks to his stupid dogma, and will admit no argument, then

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you- the man who two days ago wrote a
long post touting the importance of politeness, giving me a nicer way
of asking the question. The next post he writes, what do we get?
"cocksucker".

I have no reservations telling him just how stupid I consider him to be.

In his last post he pointed out how wrong it was of me to tell someone
I think their argument is "stupid". Hmm.. this is like "pot, kettle,
black" to an exponential power. Squared?

I don't start out a thread by abusing everyone on the forum and making long,
whinging rants with the aim of "stimulating discussion" (trolling for
arguments).

This gets better and better! You've just outright stated that you
equate "stimulating discussion" with "trolling for arguments". I
suppose the presidential debates were two trolls going at it in your
view?

AhahahahahahHAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Haaahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa! Hehe... hehe...
heh.

Well, I have no retort for that line, I guess you win, right? Great
argument! I wonder if you'd added four or five more "ahaha"'s, you'd
have totally crushed me and proven me wrong.

Since you seem unwilling, or unable to express yourself clearly (of which
you seem unaware - or at least unwilling to admit) and in a way that
promotes rational discussion, the problem just gets worse.

I've been unclear?? You're right, I'm totally unaware! Did I make a
point that you couldn't understand? Really? I think I made my points
pretty clearly. Was there a time when you couldn't understand what I
meant?

At any rate, this thread is getting tiresomely repetitive. There is no
discussion, just bull**** - and yes, it is your fault.

Having read that last bit, here's a great post you should read on how
to be polite on usenet newsgroups. I know you won't click on my
tinyurl link, but here it is, for everyone else:

http://tinyurl.com/476tw
TonyP

"mrbog" wrote in message
m...
You asked "If the AWE was really the best soundcard ever made, why
aren't you using it rather than complaining?"

I said "See my original post for the answer to the above question."

My original post says: "Now, you can't. Even if you use a pci
soundblaster card circa 2001 that does have the amped out, you still
can't use the amp port on it
because windows drivers don't support it."

But surely a good soundcard MUST have good drivers, or it is NOT a good
soundcard. I know I checked driver performance and suitablity before I
bought my last three soundcards.

By MY definition, a soundcard that will not work in my computer and that
does not have suitable drivers for the operating system I am using. is NOT
the best soundcard ever made.

Turtle Beach once claimed their early 1990's soundcard would never be
obsolete either, because it had reprogrammable DSP firmware. Unfortunately
it was obsolete very quickly because no new programs were written, apart
from it being ISA as well. It had amp outputs too, but was not the best
soundcard ever made IMO.

But hey, maybe he likes the look of it, what do I care!

TonyP.

mrbog

On 2 Dec 2004 21:50:08 -0800, (mrbog) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message . ..
It is however being a ludicrously self-centred asshole............

The reason I'm a "ludicrously self-centred asshole" is because I
posted a topic for discussion rather than an "ask the experts" style
post?

No, it's because you're as dumb as a rock and as stubborn as a mule in
a tar pit.

Switch it off, asshole. What *you* want would be wasting power *all*
the time the PC is powered up, and for *all* those people who don't
ever need the power that you do.

The alternative, wallwarts, waste MORE power ALL the time. You just
factually lose there, it's black and white. (And notice, I'm the one
who threw out "asshole" first here. I've been one of the adults on
this thread, not one of the children.)

Which part of 'switch it off' did you fail to understand?

Rude and dumb, I'd say. Stop whining and buy a headphone amp.

Battery waste. Wallwarts. You really don't get that by now?

You really don't get *anything*, do you?

They have this magical device these days, attached to many power
outlets - it's called a switch. Also, I have yet to see a wallwart
draw power when it's not actually plugged into the wall. Basically,
you're a pathetic ****.

Ah, more namecalling, wonderful. As I've stated already, a power
strip is inconvenient. That means everytime my PC wants to make noise
I have to reach under my desk and flip a switch? And that's an
improvement over having onboard amplification??
TonyP

"mrbog" wrote in message
om...
As I've stated already, a power
strip is inconvenient. That means everytime my PC wants to make noise
I have to reach under my desk and flip a switch? And that's an
improvement over having onboard amplification??

Bull****!
Connect the power strip to the PC switched outlet. No extra switch
necessary. The amp is then on when the PC is on.
That's the SAME as onboard amplification.

TonyP.

Dave Hamaker

(mrbog) writes:

(Dave Hamaker) wrote in message .com...

Can't think of any at this point. From all your previous actions in this
thread, there's little doubt you are either a troll or a zealot.

I must be a zealot! I'll take that label. Oh wait, unless that's an
established internet term that I don't know about. If you're going by
the dictionary, then hell yea, I'm a zealot about this. When most of
the industry is wrong and you're right, isn't the right thing to do to
become a zealot?

That word just means one's fanatically partisan about something, with some
connotations that this is at level where one is unable to listen to reason,
think clearly, etc. I believe such connotations apply in force to you, IF,
of course, you are not actually engaged in trolling. The problem isn't
that one shouldn't be a zealot under the conditions you describe, but with
your premise that the industry is wrong and you're right. You're the one
out of wack.

I do not have an opinion about wallwart waste. My observations in that
area are simply that it appears that practically nobody seems to share
your hissy fit over it.

http://dataweek.co.za/news.asp?pklNe...ategory ID=46

Also search for a New York Times article, it was on the cover of the
circuits section earlier this year, I believe. Also see some of the
posts on this thread AGREEING WITH ME (shocking!) about how ****ty
wall warts are.

Sorry. Not interested. I can decide this is not worth my bother from
what I already know, and it's not. You do not understand the real costs
of attempting effiency in the small at a large scale, where very small
cost tradeoffs become significant. Nonetheless, the wallwart/battery
issue is quite irrelevant. You either need more sensitive headphones,
or your wallwart/battery issue is about why headphone amp designers are
so stupid.

It's not like you made a post and got 65 responses to it. Rather, you
kept doing things that have kept them coming and coming.

We do agree about that. What I did to make them keep coming is respond
to flatly wrong and/or illogical statments. And respond to questions
directed at me (I supposed you're going to say I'm trolling when I
respond to someone's question?). And thanking people for their
suggestions while also telling them why the suggestion won't work. Is
that trolling?

The essence of trolling is to get people to keep responding to one's
thread by posting things which provoke responses, with no compunctions
as to being truthful. A troll isn't going to admit to this since that
will end the game.

I know the net is international.. And I think we're butting up against
the same point of contention, you say my position is to "degrade the
performance for everyone who does care".

Nope. Don't put words in my mouth. I said something about your rights
where they deem to impinge on the rights of others.

I'm impinging on other's rights? how? wanting a louder soundcard?

There is a line-level standard which is the cooperative basis for component
audio equipment being widely interconnectable, and this predates the very
existence of soundcards. It is why I can connect my soundcard to my Denon
amp with Boston speakers. Soundcard makers went off on their own when they
decided the masses needed little unamped speakers and designed soundcards
that way. In essence, it was the computer industry thumbing its noses at
(i.e. subverting) accumulated audio wisdom, and demonstrating a significant
lack of foresight (why does it make sense to give _everybody_ a pitifully
weak soundcard amp not capable of operating lots of stuff?). That decision
also had quality consequences which eventually, and fortunately, have
eliminated this practice.

Now we've got you, an admitted audio ignoramus, who wants to roll all this
back because of personal convenience, rationalized by pap about the great
wallwart threat to humanity. There's no threat to humanity here, because
the common man isn't the market for headphone amps; that much, much, smaller
market is occupied by people who are particular about their choice of
headphones. Ms. Common Man is either going to put up with unsatisfactory
headphone volume, assuming all headphones are the same (which sort of seems
to be where your own head is at, actually); or is going to end up with
different ones.

Since the 1999 soundcards you refer to (the SBLive had already shipped
over 1 million cards in early 1999, and had no 4x out) SNR has improved
by 10's of decibels, not millionths.

Look, I'm not an audio expert. Have I mentioned. To me, soundcards
haven't improved by 10' of decibels, they've degraded by decibels.
Literally, they're quieter. All I wants a bit more volume.

I'd suggest not saying things about numbers of decibels if you have barely
a clue about them. It makes you sound the pretentious fool.

Lots of available products use wallwarts. That proves, by the same kind
of logic you use to prove your headphones are not to blame, that wallwarts
are not to blame. It's too easy a problem to solve, and a simple cost that
goes along with updating your hardware and/or OS, unless you are a zealot
who feels deprived.

I don't follow your logic here. I'm honestly sorry, maybe it's me,
I'm reading it over and over and I'm not getting it. (seriously it
could be me, I just don't follow what you're saying).

I know.

Nobody has to use a wallwart for this. I suggest buying a pair of Radio
Shack Pro-35 headphones on sale.

Why? I need to buy special super-sensitive headphones in order to get
decent volume? That's improvement?

Prove that Pro-35's are super-sensitive headphones, and special to boot.
I did not buy mine because I was having volume problems; I bought them
for their sound and low price. They just happen to be plenty loud for
line-out use. Should I conclude that there is no general problem only
because the headphones _I've_ personally used with soundcards have had
_plenty_ of volume?

Look, you have to look at this as painting two pictures of the
world....

That's the realm of "mere opinion" that I'm trying to avoid. This debate
is hardly likely to bring back 4x speaker jacks, so it just becomes an
ego-invested argument. I think many of the posts were only trying to
give you specific advice for solving your specific stated problem, since
it wasn't yet clear this was only about you trying to sell the subject
(I guess so you could blame the stupidity of others for your unwillingness
to adapt).

I'm going to guess you work in a technical field.

That would be correct.

You want to avoid opinion debates.

Not really. They have their place. Many things are matters of opinion,
others less so. If I went over to rec.animals.wildlife and started a fight
based on my preference for koalas and pandas that everybody should agree
with that or they're wrong, it would be a waste of everybody's time,
particularly because it's based on stuffed animals I had as a child and
nothing more; and because I have no special expertise about wildlife.

You want facts and reality you can stick to.

It's not that simple. It's that I prefer to spend my time attempting to
share my knowledge over sharing my ignorance. In my view, there's quite
enough of the latter already.

Well, this IS an opinion debate. I say "I think we should do it this way,
the way we used to was better" You say "no, it's better now that in
was then." If that's an opinion debate, then this is an opinion
debate. So you should get out of it I guess.

The key is what is behind our respective opinions. I _understand_ why
the 4x was there originally, even though it was against my preferences;
and I understand why it went away, even though I agree with the change.
It can be fairly stated that a lot of where you're coming from is that
you _do_not_ understand why they took it away: that's why it upsets you.

[...]

I see no particular basis for your implied conclusion that you're not
dumb too. You've already gotten my minilecture about zero-sum thinking.
You can lead a horse to water ...

My girlfriend's Ipod headphones are just as inadequately loud as my
sony's. ****ty sound.

Let me teach you about the logic of the existence proof. It only takes
one example to disprove the position that something does not exist (i.e.
power-efficient headphones), but the reverse is not true (i.e. one or two
examples of power-inefficient headphones does not prove that power-efficient
headphones do not exist or even that they aren't readily available).

Now hold on- this isn't fair. I didn't say "power-efficient headphones
don't exist" Who's putting words in whose mouth? You said my
headphones must be the problem (repeatedly), I said I have the same
problem with other headphones. You interpret that as me saying that
power-efficient headphones don't exist? Which one of us needs a logic
lesson?

It isn't just what you said. It's where you keep taking the argument next.
You might as well say "I know most headphones are too quiet," because that's
your essential posture. The fact is you only know about 2 headphones.

If most soundcards are this quiet on ipod headphones, I move that
that's a general problem with most soundcards made today.

That requires a presumption that people will generally connect their
ipod headphones to soundcards, or indeed anything other than their ipod
at all, or rather requires that you prove that is true.

Ipod headphones are pretty common (and pretty representative of the norm,
as I've read).

That only proves that ipods are pretty common, and cheap headphones used
with headphone-only devices are going to tend to be a norm.

You're positioning yourself against them.

Hardly. They're evidently not adequate for monitoring standard line-out
outputs (but you can make a headphone out from a line-out with a headphone
amp).

All the indications I have seen are that there are plenty of adequate
headphone models out there; enough to be an adequate solution for this.
By now, it's probably evolved that if you buy your headphones from a
computer store/department, they're going to be loud enough (returns have
an influence on what stores carry).

So tell me, how many different headphones do I have to try to convince
you that this is a general problem.

Oh, let's say 100, randomly-selected, different models. However, I DO NOT
CARE about that discussion one whit. _The _only_ reason I'm still here is
the opportunity to solve _your_ problem. For that you only have to try
_one_ of the headphone models mentioned in this thread as providing ample
volume, or I'd settle for you going to one store with a good selection
of phones up for demo (with a trip to Radio Shack to try the Pro-35's if
nothing there makes you happy).

If most soundcards made today require people to get special sensitive
headphones, then that makes my point.

First you have to demonstrate that sufficiently-sensitive headphones
deserve being called special. AFAIK this is just a matter of headphones
varying in sensitivity.

"They don't make em like they used to."

Agreed. Good thing.

Ipods are designed as headphone-only devices. They have a headphone
out rather than a standard line-out. Headphone outs aren't intended
to be used with speakers, so they have a volume control with a peak
volume that will handle a wide range of headphone variability. I'm
sure Apple's choice of headphones which happen to be inefficient had
much to do with trying to minimize their overall cost among headphone
choices of similar sound quality and durability.

I don't understand why you think that trying your girlfriend's ipod
headphones was anything other than a pitifully inadequate response to
my repeated suggestion that your best solution is some more-efficient
headphones.

Is there some reason that's all you did?

You don't want to spend any money?

You love your current ones so much that nothing else will do?

You're convinced that all headphones have to be the same in this aspect?

What?

How much bother would it be for you to either:

1. Find a large audio retailer that's willing to help you compare your
current headphones with others they have set up for demo using the
same source?

2. Find a Radio Shack store willing to help you compare yours to a pair
of Pro-35's similarly?

Well?

-Dave

Minderbinder

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 12:14:38 +0000, Dave Hamaker wrote:

Common Man is either going to put up with unsatisfactory headphone
volume, assuming all headphones are the same (which sort of seems to be
where your own head is at, actually); or is going to end up with
different ones.

Since mrbog claims to have tried a number of brands of headphones and
sound cards, it seems possible that it's his hearing that is at
fault. This is probably because people shout at him every day, trying to
get through his thick, stubborn skull.

Ipods are designed as headphone-only devices. They have a headphone out
rather than a standard line-out. Headphone outs aren't intended to be
used with speakers, so they have a volume control with a peak volume
that will handle a wide range of headphone variability. I'm sure
Apple's choice of headphones which happen to be inefficient had much to
do with trying to minimize their overall cost among headphone choices of
similar sound quality and durability.

And possibly to stop numbskulls from immediately jacking the volume up all
the way and making their ears bleed when they turn it on.

Minderbinder.

Karl Uppiano

"Minderbinder" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 12:14:38 +0000, Dave Hamaker wrote:

Common Man is either going to put up with unsatisfactory headphone
volume, assuming all headphones are the same (which sort of seems to be
where your own head is at, actually); or is going to end up with
different ones.

Since mrbog claims to have tried a number of brands of headphones and
sound cards, it seems possible that it's his hearing that is at
fault. This is probably because people shout at him every day, trying to
get through his thick, stubborn skull.

mrbog claims his hearing is "above average". We accepted that as fact; he
has provided no proof. Based on his other arguments, we may want to revisit
this claim.

Ipods are designed as headphone-only devices. They have a headphone out
rather than a standard line-out. Headphone outs aren't intended to be
used with speakers, so they have a volume control with a peak volume
that will handle a wide range of headphone variability. I'm sure
Apple's choice of headphones which happen to be inefficient had much to
do with trying to minimize their overall cost among headphone choices of
similar sound quality and durability.

And possibly to stop numbskulls from immediately jacking the volume up all
the way and making their ears bleed when they turn it on.

That's a good point. There's probably some product liability in making
outputs that could damage one's hearing.

It must be some kind of morbid curiosity that I keep reading this thread. I
don't know how many times someone can be told "the market has moved on" or
"people vote with their pocketbooks, and you lost -- get over it". I'm not
saying he can't prefer the 1990 sound cards for the rest of his life, but at
some point, one simply needs to accept reality and get on with their life.

I also can't buy into the wall-wart threat to humanity argument. This is
single-issue extremism, which is, I believe, the definition of a zealot.
Wall-warts have several advantages:

1. They allow the product to fit in a smaller space with enhanced form
factor, by moving the bulky power supply out of the way.
2. They reduce magnetically induced hum by moving the power supply out of
the way.
3. They provide for portability while providing battery charging and
long-term powered operation.
4. They dramatically reduce the cost of UL/CSA approval, because the
wall-wart can be UL/CSA approved separately by the wall-wart mfr, and
everything else is low-voltage and not subject to UL/CSA in most cases.
Truth be known, this might be the biggest reason some products use
wall-warts at all. Avoiding the need for UL approval is a big plus. Been
there. Done that. Never again.

Disadvantages:

1. They hog space on outlets and power strips, though some are designed to
be less piggish about this, having sprouted a power cord. Some power strips
accommodate wall-warts better than others.
2. They do use power on standby. Wasted power on standby is a
pseudo-political issue that could be argued to death. Wall-warts could be
designed to shut down when not in use, but that would add considerable
expense, and the alternative could actually be worse in some other way.
Besides, standby power isn't wasted if the device is being operated in a
heated building (think about it).

Overdog

Minderbinder wrote in message .. .
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:15:02 -0800, mrbog wrote:

I am, in fact, not trolling. I can't blame you for not reading the
entire 65 post thread, but if you had, you'd see my answers to all of
the feeble counter-arguments, many of which you repeated. So, I will
summarize, while answering you:

*sigh* In an attempt to bring some closure to this thread, I'm going to
assume that mrbog is not, in fact, trolling and deliberately insulting
everyone (difficult as it may be to believe) - and therefore, will attempt
to summarise things as objectively as I can.

No! This thread must never die! Never!
Here, I'll reopen it:

"Mr.Bog," you might try removing your head from your ass before
listening to headphones. It tends to help.
Also, if you weren't 100 years old and deaf as a post, you wouldn't be
having this problem.

Overdog

[...]

Don't care, don't care, don't care. I don't care about being "more like
other audio gear". And, as I said in the original post, "Oh you experts
are going to talk about how the amp port was getting some tiny bit of
interference from the motherboard's power, something that only an expert
would care about. What ****ing ever. " I was perfectly happy before,
because I'm a regular user, not some audiophile.

Again, I think this is an abusive/agressive tone, right from the start.

You flag yourself as a typical consumer who doesn't care all that much
about audio quality nuances, yet you express strong concerns about
power nuances. You need to understand that the typical consumer
doesn't care all that much about the nuances of wall warts either.
They aren't going to worry much about what they plug into the wall is
shaped like.

[...]

Someone suggested the Soundblaster Extigy. It costs $150. After
THANKING the responder for at least trying, I pointed out the problem
that my 64 awe cost $29.95 in 1999. A $150 device in 2004 to do the
same job is not a solution. (plus the extigy requires a wall wart, which
the poster must have forget because in the same post where he suggested
the extigy, he agreed that wall warts are bad.) Strangly, in spite of
that contradiction, he accused me of "pooh pooh"ing everyone's response.

This is a response to my own personal contribution, so let me quote the
response that mrbog considers a polite expression of gratitude, and try to
explain why I interpreted it as sarcastic abuse:

Well you response was at least an attempt to help, thanks. Like everyone
else, you're wrong and don't have a solution, but you tried.

I made my needs perfectly clear- amplified output. Whether I use
headphones or not is irrelevant. The fact that I don't use speakers, nor
do I want to plug in another AC adapter is relevant, and I did point that
out.

First of all, the Sound Blaster Extigy has an AC adapter. I'm assuming
you just didn't know that, because the same paragraph where you recomend
it, you start out with "You're right about the power bricks". So thanks
for the idea but no go.

The other problem with the Sound Blaster Extigy is that it costs $150.
This is just another case for my point that I could get a better
soundcard for the average user's needs in 1999. I pad $29.95 for my
(beloved, sadly) Soundblaster 64 AWE value. Nearly 6 years later I'm
paying $150 to get a bulkier powerhog to be a poor substitute? Pathetic.

I'll keep looking, but my point very clearly stands firm, in spite of the
barrage of hopelessly flawed arguments against it here. I was happier
with my soundcard in 1999 than any card made in 2004 (afaik), and the
nature of my need is obviously not so extravagent.

[...]

5. Again, the hostile tone in the phrase "the barrage of hopelessly flawed
arguments" seems to include my suggestion, thus casting a negative light
on the whole message - leading me to conclude that your words of gratitude
were meant sarcastically rather than earnestly.

Since I've gone this far, I thought I may as well have a go at re-writing
mrbog's original message in a way that I think would be much more likely
to draw useful responses:

Hi,

Back in 1999, there were plenty of cards on the market that offered
amplified outputs. Unfortunately, these cards are no longer well supported
on recent versions of Windows, and I don't get sufficient output volume
from my [insert sound card here] when using my [insert headphones here].

Can anyone suggest a decent new sound card that will satisfy these
requirements?
1. Price less than US$100 [US$60 etc.].
2. Sufficient output to drive my headphones.
3. Full driver support for Windows XP
4. Doesn't require external power sources (ie. wall warts or batteries)
5. PCI [or USB] interface

Thanks in advance,
mrbog (simulated)

Is there anyone out there who DOESN'T think this would get better
better not give me any crap!" statements improves the overall tone of the
message. If people would apply a bit more USENET ettiquette to their
postings, we'd have fewer of these flamewars.

Regards,
Minderbinder.

Overdog

"Karl Uppiano" wrote in message news:hjZkd.559$mc.380@trnddc07...
It's funny, when you write a response like this, you know you're
probably not going to win anyone over. You did a marathon end-run of
name-calling, accompanied only by some non-facts, like the absurd idea
that it would be a waste of power to use a sound card that had
amplification, but using an amplifier isn't??? The rest of us are way
past the AC adapter issue and it seems (almost) everyone here agrees
with me that an AC adapter is a huge waste of power by comparison.

You know, an AC adapter wastes some power, but it isn't the hemorrhage that
you might think. In fact, the additional warmth (negligible though it may
be) will cause your heating system to run less. It won't make a huge
difference in your heating bill, but it might put your concerns about the
"waste" in perspective. Of course, it will have a (negligible) negative
impact on your cooling bill in the summer time.

You make a good point: the "wastefulness" of wal-warts shows up as
electric heat, which is sometimes desirable.
The truth is, though, gas heating is both cheaper and more
energy-efficient than electric heating. Most homeowners would prefer
to get all of their heating from gas, to minimize costs and
environmental damage.
And in the summer, the heating is doubly inefficient because the AC
system works overtime to compensate for it.

Overdog

Karl Uppiano

You make a good point: the "wastefulness" of wal-warts shows up as
electric heat, which is sometimes desirable.
The truth is, though, gas heating is both cheaper and more
energy-efficient than electric heating. Most homeowners would prefer
to get all of their heating from gas, to minimize costs and
environmental damage.
And in the summer, the heating is doubly inefficient because the AC
system works overtime to compensate for it.

Well, that's true. The equation undoubtedly changes in the summer. Perhaps
more to the point, has anyone *ever* seen their heating bill drop, or the
A/C bill increase as the result of installing some gear that uses a
wall-wart? Of course not. Nor can they see their electric bill increase,
unless it's the only thing they ever run. It's a very small drop in a very
large bucket. Anyone who is at all concerned with energy waste would be much
better off looking somewhere else first. When all of the other much bigger
threats to humanity are eliminated, *then* go after the wall-warts.

mrbog

"Karl Uppiano" wrote in message news:2UKsd.11$xa6.10@trnddc09...
mrbog claims his hearing is "above average". We accepted that as fact; he
has provided no proof. Based on his other arguments, we may want to revisit
this claim.

Proof? That my hearing is above average? What do you want for
"proof" of that? A PDF of a doctor's note??
mrbog

(Dave Hamaker) wrote in message . com...

http://dataweek.co.za/news.asp?pklNe...ategory ID=46

Also search for a New York Times article, it was on the cover of the
circuits section earlier this year, I believe. Also see some of the
posts on this thread AGREEING WITH ME (shocking!) about how ****ty
wall warts are.

Sorry. Not interested. I can decide this is not worth my bother from
what I already know, and it's not. You do not understand the real costs
of attempting effiency in the small at a large scale, where very small
cost tradeoffs become significant. Nonetheless, the wallwart/battery
issue is quite irrelevant. You either need more sensitive headphones,
or your wallwart/battery issue is about why headphone amp designers are
so stupid.

You're conveniently choosing not to form an opinion on a major issue.
5% of all power consumed in the US is not "quite irrelevant". Thats
one ****load of power going to waste. It's not convenient for your
argument, so you just dismiss it. But still it sits, the statistic,
the fact. Whether you want to talk about it or not, there it is.

The essence of trolling is to get people to keep responding to one's
thread by posting things which provoke responses, with no compunctions
as to being truthful. A troll isn't going to admit to this since that
will end the game.

Look, I'm done trying to tell you I'm not trolling. It's an absurd
position you expect me to be in. It's like accusing someone of being a
communist or a homosexual. There's no way to disprove it. If you had
started a thread that got a lot of discussion I could start calling
you a troll, and what would you say to disprove it? **** this, if you
think I'm a troll, go right ahead, I am no longer in the position of
defending my non-trollhood. And by the way, you're a communist
homosexual.

There is a line-level standard which is the cooperative basis for component
audio equipment being widely interconnectable, and this predates the very
existence of soundcards. It is why I can connect my soundcard to my Denon
amp with Boston speakers. Soundcard makers went off on their own when they
decided the masses needed little unamped speakers and designed soundcards
that way. In essence, it was the computer industry thumbing its noses at
(i.e. subverting) accumulated audio wisdom, and demonstrating a significant
lack of foresight (why does it make sense to give _everybody_ a pitifully
weak soundcard amp not capable of operating lots of stuff?). That decision
also had quality consequences which eventually, and fortunately, have
eliminated this practice.

This is exactly the kind of audiophile mumbo jumbo that I'm talking
about. I don't know nothin 'bout no audio tech. What I know is I want
louder sound in my headphones. Hey audio industry, wake up.

Now we've got you, an admitted audio ignoramus, who wants to roll all this
back because of personal convenience, rationalized by pap about the great
wallwart threat to humanity.

Ladies and gentlemen, you have it- He says he considers the waste of
5% of all power consumed in the US to be "pap". I could rest my
argument on his absurd statement alone.

Look, I'm not an audio expert. Have I mentioned. To me, soundcards
haven't improved by 10' of decibels, they've degraded by decibels.
Literally, they're quieter. All I wants a bit more volume.

I'd suggest not saying things about numbers of decibels if you have barely
a clue about them. It makes you sound the pretentious fool.

Hmm does more decibels mean louder? Then in all of my lamen ignorance
I've said something that's technically correct. I WANT MORE GODDAMN
DECIBELS.

Why? I need to buy special super-sensitive headphones in order to get
decent volume? That's improvement?

Prove that Pro-35's are super-sensitive headphones, and special to boot.
I did not buy mine because I was having volume problems; I bought them
for their sound and low price. They just happen to be plenty loud for
line-out use. Should I conclude that there is no general problem only
because the headphones _I've_ personally used with soundcards have had
_plenty_ of volume?

You said it yourself in your last sentence there. We agree, you
shouldn't. Hence the reason I shouldn't have to buy special pro-35
headphones. Think about it you'll get it.

You want to avoid opinion debates.

Not really. They have their place. Many things are matters of opinion,
others less so. If I went over to rec.animals.wildlife and started a fight
based on my preference for koalas and pandas that everybody should agree
with that or they're wrong, it would be a waste of everybody's time,
particularly because it's based on stuffed animals I had as a child and
nothing more; and because I have no special expertise about wildlife.

No, but it wouldn't be a waste of everybody's time if you made that
same argument at alt.zoo.animalselection. And you wouldn't need
special expertise. You could be a dumb consumer, arguing for what you
want to see. You're the customer.

Well, this IS an opinion debate. I say "I think we should do it this way,
the way we used to was better" You say "no, it's better now that in
was then." If that's an opinion debate, then this is an opinion
debate. So you should get out of it I guess.

The key is what is behind our respective opinions. I _understand_ why
the 4x was there originally, even though it was against my preferences;
and I understand why it went away, even though I agree with the change.
It can be fairly stated that a lot of where you're coming from is that
you _do_not_ understand why they took it away: that's why it upsets you.

You're close to being right, I'll adjust it- I do _understand_
perfectly well the reason they took it away. And it upsets me. The
reason they took it away is:
A) Audiophiles run the industry and care about little bits of
distortion that no one else cares about, and about being "more like
other audio equipment" in some techno-obessed way. And,
B) The consumer was dumb enough not to understand the problem with
using a wallwart based amplifier which ends up costing them even while
their asleep.

It isn't just what you said. It's where you keep taking the argument next.
You might as well say "I know most headphones are too quiet," because that's
your essential posture. The fact is you only know about 2 headphones.

All the indications I have seen are that there are plenty of adequate
headphone models out there; enough to be an adequate solution for this.
By now, it's probably evolved that if you buy your headphones from a
computer store/department, they're going to be loud enough (returns have
an influence on what stores carry).

It's funny, you just talked about how you want soundcard to be more
like other audio equipment, and then in the next breath you tell me
where I can get special headphones for soundcards. You don't see a
problem with thinking?

So tell me, how many different headphones do I have to try to convince
you that this is a general problem.

Oh, let's say 100, randomly-selected, different models. However, I DO NOT
CARE about that discussion one whit. _The _only_ reason I'm still here is
the opportunity to solve _your_ problem. For that you only have to try
_one_ of the headphone models mentioned in this thread as providing ample
volume, or I'd settle for you going to one store with a good selection
of phones up for demo (with a trip to Radio Shack to try the Pro-35's if
nothing there makes you happy).

HA! Oh, only 100, is that all? Sure you don't want to make it 150,
maybe 250, to be sure that it's a figure I obviously could never
accomplish? I can tell you this much- between 1999 and now, I've
(obviously) had more than 2 pairs of headphones. I don't even know
the models of them all (because, as I mentioned, I'm not an
audiophile). I could scrounge around for them in my closet I suppose.

I could understand having to buy special headphones for a _particular_
soundcard. But if I have to buy some special model of headphones to
make ANY soundcard louder, then I move that that's a fundamental
problem with the industry, a degradation in features from where it was
in 1999.

I don't understand why you think that trying your girlfriend's ipod
headphones was anything other than a pitifully inadequate response to
my repeated suggestion that your best solution is some more-efficient
headphones.

??? Let's all review the context shall we. I tried her headphones in
response to you saying that my headphones were inefficient. Hmm and
you're saying you "don't understand" why I did that?? Is it really so
complicated? You say hey man your headphones are the problem. And I
say I'll try some other headphones. And that doesn't make sense to
you?

Is there some reason that's all you did?

Yes, sure is! Because that's all the headphones I had in arms reach!
How many headphones do you have in arms reach right now? (Er well,
you know- if you WEREN'T an audiophile.)

You don't want to spend any money?

If I have to spend more money in 2004 to get what I had in 1999, then
DAMN RIGHT I DON'T.

You love your current ones so much that nothing else will do?

For the last damn time, it's not my ****ing headphones. And suprise
suprise I'm not going to go buy 100 of them, I guess that must mean
I'm wrong.

You're convinced that all headphones have to be the same in this aspect?

What?

I'm convinced that the majority of soundcards should work with the
majority of headphones. Crazy idea, isn't it?

How much bother would it be for you to either:

1. Find a large audio retailer that's willing to help you compare your
current headphones with others they have set up for demo using the
same source?

2. Find a Radio Shack store willing to help you compare yours to a pair
of Pro-35's similarly?

Well?

Dave the entire point of this thread is to expose a fundamental
problem in the industry. If the regular consumer (who uses
headphones) is expected to do either of your suggestions just to get
ample audio, then you just made my case.
Karl Uppiano

"mrbog" wrote in message
om...
"Karl Uppiano" wrote in message
mrbog claims his hearing is "above average". We accepted that as fact; he
has provided no proof. Based on his other arguments, we may want to
revisit
this claim.

Proof? That my hearing is above average? What do you want for
"proof" of that? A PDF of a doctor's note??

No. Sorry. It was a cheap shot.

I have been remiss to stay out of this debate. Mrbog (whatever THAT
means) has spun quite an intricate web of misstatements and assertions
for himself, it might be interesting to untangle one or two of them.

For example, mrbog wrote:
You're conveniently choosing not to form an opinion on a major issue.
5% of all power consumed in the US is not "quite irrelevant". Thats
one ****load of power going to waste. It's not convenient for your
argument, so you just dismiss it. But still it sits, the statistic,
the fact. Whether you want to talk about it or not, there it is.

Really, the "fact" sits. Let's see what that "fact" suggests. The
latest (2002) complete Department of Energy statistics for
electrical energy production for the United States gives a figure
of 3,858,452,253 megawatts/year. Call it 4 trillion watts or
4 x 10^12 Watts (we'll round the figure up to further bolster your
argument. Your implication is that wall warts are responsible for
5% of this, or some 0.05 x 4 x 10^12 or some 2 x 10^11 watts.

Now, an informal survey of a fair number of wall warts used for
this sort of purpose shows an idle power consumption of approximately
1 watt. Again, to bolster your argument, let's call it 2 watts.

Assuming your implication that wall warts account for a consumption
of 2 x 10^11 watts per year, and that each wall art consumes an
average of 2 watts, that means that out in the world there are
1 x 10^11 wall warts, all plugged in at one time.

1 x 10^11 wall warts.

The current US population is approximately 250 million souls.
10^11 wall warts distributed fairly amongst the US population
means that every one of those hapless souls is in posession,
on average, of 400 wall warts. That's every single man, woman
and child in the United states. Every single last one of them,
each has 400 wall warts.

Assuming the average family in the United States has 5 members,
that's TWO THOUSAND WALL WARTS PER HOUSEHOLD!

Now, assume that each household has an average of 8 rooms. That's
TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY WALL WARTS PER ROOM.

Further assume, two wall warts per outlet, that's ONE HUNDRED AND
TWENTY FIVE DUPLEX WALL OUTLETS PER ROOM.

Pray tell, mrbog, what on gdwds green earth are all these wall warts
powering? Even if ONE IN A HUNDRED were powering headphone amplifiers,
that means that that every man, women and child in the United States
WAS LISTENING TO 40 HEADPHONES AT ONE TIME!

What a country! I mean, mrbog can't blast his eardrums out like
he want, yet little Johnny next door is able to run around with
40 headphones on his head. What a country we have here!

Even if the power consumption is ten times the above measured figure,
that's still 200 wall warts per household.

An alternative explanation might be useful: maybe your 5% assertion
is simply patently absurd, unfounded and indefensible. Maybe you just
grasped on some absurdity as a means of bolstering your increasingly
desparate position.

The essence of trolling is to get people to keep responding to

one's
thread by posting things which provoke responses, with no

compunctions
as to being truthful. A troll isn't going to admit to this since

that
will end the game.

Look, I'm done trying to tell you I'm not trolling. It's an absurd
position you expect me to be in.

Well, no, it is an absurd position you have put yourself in, and you
have entirely yourself to blame. The title of the thread is "the
best soundcard..." with NO qualification whatsoever and, after
dozens of posts trying to tweak out of you what was best TO YOU, we
find that you focus on a SINGLE property to which the market has
spoken quite loudly and umabiguously that it doesn't give a rat's
ass about.

And YOU'RE ****ed that the ENTIRE rest of the world doesn't give a
rat's ass about what YOU want, you thus blame the entire rest of
the world for YOUR inability to cope with that fact.

I don't know nothin 'bout no audio tech.

You have put an extraordinary amount of effort into demonstrating
that fact. And you have done an excellent job in proving the fact
to us that you nothing about the topic on which you hold forth.

Yet you choose to hold forth and make technical assertions about
something you admit you know nothing about. You quote "facts" on
power consumption of wallwarts vs soundcard amplifiers without,
quite obviously knowing abnything at all about what you are talking
about. You make claims of knowledge of the computer and audio market
without, quite clearly, having any clue about the subject.

What I know is I want
louder sound in my headphones. Hey audio industry, wake up.

They did, long ago, and moved on.

And now YOU'RE ****ed because YOU were caight napping, the rest of
the world has LONG since moved on, and you're trying to figure out
how to blame everybody else for the fact that you're stuck in the
stone age.

Ladies and gentlemen, you have it- He says he considers the waste of
5% of all power consumed in the US to be "pap". I could rest my
argument on his absurd statement alone.

No, YOUR statement, claiming wall warts "waste 5% of all power
consumed in the US" can be trivially shown to be an absurd and
ridiculous claim on its face. And you are unwilling to sit down
and follow through the implications of that absurdity.

Look, I'm not an audio expert.

Yes, we have understand that, you go out of your way to prove it.

The
reason they took it away is:
A) Audiophiles run the industry and care about little bits of
distortion that no one else cares about, and about being "more like
other audio equipment" in some techno-obessed way. And,

That's your "opinion based, by your own admissions, on no fact
whatsoever

B) The consumer was dumb enough not to understand the problem with
using a wallwart based amplifier which ends up costing them even

while
their asleep.

Based on your absurd and provably wrong assertion regarding the
consumption of power of such devices.

I'm convinced that the majority of soundcards should work with the
majority of headphones. Crazy idea, isn't it?

Yes considering that the majority of soundcards ARE NOT USED WITH
THE MAJORITY OF HEADPHONES.

And you are "convinced" of this, unencumbered by little annoyances
like REAL facts and figures, srather than the absurdities you put
forth here.

Dave the entire point of this thread is to expose a fundamental
problem in the industry.

According to you, that fundamental problem is that this industry
doesn't recognize that mrbog is the sole arbiter of what is "best."
and mrbog doesn't like that cold hard reality.

In a word, tough.

Please, mrbog, if your position is so sound, WHY IS THERE NOT A SINGLE
SOUL COMING TO YOUR DEFENSE IN THIS THREAD?

Arny Krueger

oups.com

For example, mrbog wrote:
[...]

I thank God that today I drank my morning coffee *before* reading this post.
Cleaning up my work are can be time-consuming. I might have even ruined
something. Nice deconstruction!

[...]

Pray tell you ask, so sure I'll tell-

Your entire scenario, while it seems "scientific" in a Jerry Springer
kind of way, is fundamentially flawed. I have one giant chunk of
information that you're detailed scientific analysis forgot:

WALLWARTS ARE USED ON MORE THAN JUST HOUSEHOLDS.

In fact, households are small by comparison. Look at real estate
distribution figures. The fact is, construction money isn't spent on
households in America NEARLY as much as other institutions- office,
university, medical, travel, factory, millitary, government, schools,
commerce. The square footage in households is absolutely DWARFED by
that of "everything else". You're nutty metrics- mapping x million
wallwarts to x million households is utter ****.

Next time you walk through a mall, think of how many wall warts there
are in every socket in every store, in every demo model, cash register,
back office lamps, computers. Remember your absurd usenet post in
which you wrote all of that off. All of that is off your radar. Go
re-read your colorful post right now, your "40 HEADPHONES AT ONE TIME".
It's silliness.

And by the way, that 5% isn't my figure.

Well, no, it is an absurd position you have put yourself in, and you
have entirely yourself to blame. The title of the thread is "the
best soundcard..." with NO qualification whatsoever and, after
dozens of posts trying to tweak out of you what was best TO YOU, we
find that you focus on a SINGLE property to which the market has
spoken quite loudly and umabiguously that it doesn't give a rat's
ass about.

No qualification of the title? Did you read the post?? The title is
limited to what- 32 characters? The post laid everything out crystal
clear. It didn't take any other information on my part for you to see
I wanted volume. Seriously, go read it, I refer to volume right away.
Your arguments, while loud and wordy, are totally empty.

Yet you choose to hold forth and make technical assertions about
something you admit you know nothing about. You quote "facts" on
power consumption of wallwarts vs soundcard amplifiers without,
quite obviously knowing abnything at all about what you are talking
about. You make claims of knowledge of the computer and audio market
without, quite clearly, having any clue about the subject.

What claims of "knowledge of the computer and audio market" have I
made? The claim I made was "all I want is volume, without wasting
power, and I can't get than now". Is that my "claim of knowledge of
the market". You're a master of empty statements.

Please, mrbog, if your position is so sound, WHY IS THERE NOT A

SINGLE
SOUL COMING TO YOUR DEFENSE IN THIS THREAD?

You want to know something, PEOPLE HAVE. Go read the thread. Regarding
the crappy power inefficiencies of wall warts, PEOPLE HAVE.

[...]

mrbog, in your desparate attempt to defend your position,
you have utterly and totally failed to grasp the utter
absurdity of your position. Your claim is that wall warts
consume 5% of the total energy production of the US.
That figure is completely abdurd, made even more so that
that the figure quoted from the DOE is only the total
electrical production in one year.

You, in your irrational ranting, even failed to notice an error
I made in the calculation: the figure quoted from the DOE is
3,858,452,253 megawatts/year. That's not 4 trillion watts or
4 x 10^12 Watts per year, that's 4,000 TRILLION Watts or
4 x 10^15 Watts per year. It makes your assertion so toally absurd
because it raises the number of wallwarts by a factor of 1000.

You're asserting that the total consumption due to wallwarts
is on the order of 200 trillion watts. Assuming a dissipation
of 10 watts per wart, your assertion boild down to a testable
claim that in the United States, there are currently 20 trillion
wall warts. TWENTY TRILLION WALL WARTS.

That's EIGHT HUNDRED THOUSAND WALLWARTS FOR EVERY SINGLE MAN,
WOMAN AND CHILD in the United States. It makes NO difference
where those wallwarts are, whether they are in homes, officies,
stores, wherever. Your claim, simply stated, is that for every
single person, there are EIGHT HUNDRED THOUSAND WALLWARTS IN THE
UNITED STATES. Your claim, simply stated, is that there are TWENTY
TRILLION WALLWARTS IN THE UNITED STATES.

That, in short, is the consequence of claiming 5% of the US total
energy output is consumed by wallwarts.

Let's assume that the effective cost of each wallwart is $5.00.
Your claim is that the effective worth of all the wall warts in
this country is ONE HUNDRED TRILLION DOLLARS.

That's an order of magnitude greater than the total expenditures
of the Federal Government! That's an extraordinary claim, mrbog,
a truly extraordinary claim. Yet it is the inevitable consequence
of your claim that wallwarts consume 5% of the total US energy
production.

In fact, households are small by comparison. Look at real estate
distribution figures. The fact is, construction money isn't spent on
households in America NEARLY as much as other institutions- office,
university, medical, travel, factory, millitary, government, schools,
commerce.

It's utterly irrelevant: your claim is that 5% of the total US energy
output goes into wall warts. It makes NO difference where they are.
Your claim then is that wall warts are responsible for the consumption
of 5% of the total power output of the US, and that claim leads to
absurd conclusions. And you are too stupid and too pigheaded to
admit the fact that your claim is wrong. Plain and simply wrong.
It is most likely because your claim forms a funcdamental basis
for your original ranting, and once that 5% claim is effectivel
dconcstructed, your original assertion has no foundation.

The square footage in households is absolutely DWARFED by
that of "everything else". You're nutty metrics- mapping x million
wallwarts to x million households is utter ****.

Again, mrbog, you have utterly failed to grasp the more fundamental
point: that your 5% figure is absurd.

Next time you walk through a mall, think of how many wall warts there
are in every socket in every store, in every demo model, cash

register,
back office lamps, computers. Remember your absurd usenet post in
which you wrote all of that off. All of that is off your radar. Go
re-read your colorful post right now, your "40 HEADPHONES AT ONE

TIME".
It's silliness.

Yes, it is totally silly, which is precisely where your absurd
figure of 5% total US power budget MUST lead you. Go get yourself
a wee bit of education, and see if you can learn what a "reductio
ad absurdum" is. That's precisely what was done with your silly
figure

And by the way, that 5% isn't my figure.

No, it is nt. Wherever you got that figure, it was either wrong to
begin with or, more likely, you misunderstood, misquoted, mis-
represented or misused it. It makes no difference, because it leads
to these utterly absurd results.

Well, no, it is an absurd position you have put yourself in, and

you
have entirely yourself to blame. The title of the thread is "the
best soundcard..." with NO qualification whatsoever and, after
dozens of posts trying to tweak out of you what was best TO YOU, we
find that you focus on a SINGLE property to which the market has
spoken quite loudly and umabiguously that it doesn't give a rat's
ass about.

No qualification of the title? Did you read the post?? The title is
limited to what- 32 characters?

Here is the EXACT subject, as conveyed, from the beginning, by Google
groups:

"The best PC soundcards were made in 1999."

That's it. Those are YOUR words from the very beginning. No truncation,
no editing. That's the subject line YOU chose. Your original post
makes NO mention of headphones.

Yet you choose to hold forth and make technical assertions about
something you admit you know nothing about. You quote "facts" on
power consumption of wallwarts vs soundcard amplifiers without,
quite obviously knowing abnything at all about what you are talking
about. You make claims of knowledge of the computer and audio

market
without, quite clearly, having any clue about the subject.

What claims of "knowledge of the computer and audio market" have I
made?

You have made, at numerous point, specific claims that require
explicit knowledge of the market, to wit:

"The reason they took it away is:
A) Audiophiles run the industry and care about little bits
of distortion that no one else cares about, and about
being "more like other audio equipment" in some techno-
obessed way."

You have explicit knowledge of this fact? The statement pretty much
requires that you do, and now you deny it.

"B) The consumer was dumb enough not to understand the problem
with using a wallwart based amplifier which ends up costing
them even while their asleep."

Again, you have specific market information about what the consumer
does or does not know? Now you say you do not, so these claims must
be outright fabrications on your part.

Further, you stated:

"the present selection of soundcards is fundamentally flawed."

again, that implies direct and specific knowledge of the market,
which you now claim NOT to have. Which is it?

The claim I made was "all I want is volume, without wasting
power, and I can't get than now". Is that my "claim of knowledge of
the market".

Yes, and above of quotes of YOU making such claims.

You have made other technical claims that are out and out wrong,
to wit:

"Obviously, the amp port isn't drawing any power
unless it's in use."

This statement is patently and provably wrong, which simply
confirms your claim that you have no technical expertise.
In fact, the amplifier circuitry on these soundcards IS drawing
power whether or not they are being used. TO claim otherwise is
to demonstrate complete lack of knowledge of the operating
principles of analog power amplification.

You're a master of empty statements.

You, sir, are an outright liar. Your own words have demonstrated
that. You have made specific technical assertions while at the
same time admitting you have no technical expertise to do so,
and then criticise others technical rejoinders, again without
any technical expertise to do so.

[...]

Powerful Argument in Favor of Agnosticism and Athetism Robert Morein Audio Opinions 3 August 17th 04 06:37 AM
Opposite of Mu-law? Curious Tech 146 May 25th 04 11:32 PM
Spinning Wheels II: CD/DVD Player or transport+DAC? (and related question on PC soundcards) Gary Jensen Audio Opinions 5 October 12th 03 01:30 PM
Who made the best older two shaft radio ? Jeff Car Audio 0 July 9th 03 12:55 AM