Jerry Avins

Default Power conversion. (was "Opposite of Mu-law?")

Karl Uppiano wrote:

"Jerry Avins" wrote in message

Steve Underwood wrote:

Hi Jerry,

Jerry Avins wrote in message

No DAC I'm aware of can provide enough power to drive a loudspeaker. You
need an analog amplifier between a DAC and the speaker. If you don't
have one now, that's your problem.

How would you classify the new generation class D amps that go
straight from 16/24 bit audio to the speaker terminals? The only
digital to analogue conversion in those is right at the speaker.

Regards,
Steve

What I surmise is that PCM is converted to a variety of PWM. I call that
conversion to analog. The high power comes later. The input is signed
binary; the output is bipolar. What you refer to as A/D conversion in
the loudspeaker I call low-pass filtering.

Maybe my notion of how the device works is entirely wrong. Where can I
read about it?

PWM is analog. The fact that it's switched confuses a lot of people. The
pulse width is an analog quantity. The fact that distinction between digital
and analog can be blurred just underscores the similarity of the two
technologies in terms of mathematical signal analysis.

Thank you for putting what I meant into better words.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Jerry Avins

Randy Yates wrote:

Allan Herriman writes:

On Mon, 24 May 2004 10:39:25 -0400, Jerry Avins wrote:

Steve Underwood wrote:

Hi Jerry,

Jerry Avins wrote in message ...

No DAC I'm aware of can provide enough power to drive a loudspeaker. You
need an analog amplifier between a DAC and the speaker. If you don't
have one now, that's your problem.

How would you classify the new generation class D amps that go
straight from 16/24 bit audio to the speaker terminals? The only
digital to analogue conversion in those is right at the speaker.

Regards,
Steve

What I surmise is that PCM is converted to a variety of PWM. I call that
conversion to analog. The high power comes later. The input is signed
binary; the output is bipolar. What you refer to as A/D conversion in
the loudspeaker I call low-pass filtering.

Maybe my notion of how the device works is entirely wrong. Where can I
read about it?

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...mplifiers.html

I stopped reading when I got to the part where he stated an amplifier
was "transparent but not neutral". What B.S.

You almost got to the end then. Esoteric jargon naturally develops
around any specialized field. By "naturally", I mean that it seems to be
a law of nature. Case in point: all that oenophile crapola. How can
something you pour be dry? (Don't give me a hard time over pouring
powder. Something with surface tension, then.) Music: ethereal?

I think the author means something, and others in his line of work know
what it is. He's just not addressing the likes of us.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Ben Bradley

On Tue, 25 May 2004 01:15:14 +1000, Allan Herriman
wrote:

On Mon, 24 May 2004 10:39:25 -0400, Jerry Avins wrote:

What I surmise is that PCM is converted to a variety of PWM. I call that
conversion to analog. The high power comes later. The input is signed
binary; the output is bipolar. What you refer to as A/D conversion in
the loudspeaker I call low-pass filtering.

Maybe my notion of how the device works is entirely wrong. Where can I
read about it?

I would suspect the PCM gets converted/"up-sampled" with an
all-digital sigma-delta implementation to a single-bit
high-sample-rate (in the MHz range) PCM bitstream (which is not the
same as PWM, though the hardware from the digital output to the
speaker may be the same).

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...mplifiers.html

That's an "interesting" discussion but doesn't give a clue about
the internals of "digitally controlled Class D."

Googling found this paper which has some technical meat - it
mentions regular PWM, digital-input PWM, and "Direct delta-sigma
modulation" that is exactly what I was thinking of::

http://www.chipidea.com/essderc2003/...47_updated.pdf

Have a look at some parts:
http://focus.ti.com/docs/search/vpar...e&templateId=3

This is TI's standard "Class D" parts they've been offering for a
few years, and it appears none of them have digital input.

Regards,
Allan.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Jerry Avins

Ben Bradley wrote:

That's an "interesting" discussion but doesn't give a clue about
the internals of "digitally controlled Class D."

Googling found this paper which has some technical meat - it
mentions regular PWM, digital-input PWM, and "Direct delta-sigma
modulation" that is exactly what I was thinking of::

http://www.chipidea.com/essderc2003/...47_updated.pdf

Thanks for hunting it down. I can see this sub-thread degenerating into
an interminable (at any rate, unterminating) argument over the meaning
of words. I'll get my licks in early, then run for cover and duck.

As far as I'm concerned, converting two's complement binary to PWM is an
D-to-A operation, despite the binary nature of the pulses' amplitudes.
Properly, "analog" as we use it is a misnomer, as is "digital" when
applied to gates and flip-flops. Digital is about numbers, analog is the
representation of one quantity as analogous to another, as voltage being
an analog of, say, mass. Despite that, we know what we mean by analog
and digital and if we don't "mere sandwich"* our terms, we won't get
sidetracked.

I claim that a box that accepts numbers and provides drive to a
voice-coil speaker necessarily does D-to-A conversion. The circuit
referred to does it before the H bridge.

Jerry
* When one is famished, nothing is better than a solid meal. A mere
sandwich, however, is better than nothing. ABC implies AC. When one
is famished, nothing is better than a mere sandwich.
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Curious

Default Original Made in 1999 [ Opposite of Mu-law?]

(Curious) wrote in message . com...
Ben Bradley wrote in message . ..
You may not hear blatant clipping, but I'm sure it doesn't sound as
clean as it could have. Go to a used CD store and get a CD or two made
15 years ago (not a recent re-release of music over 15 years old, but
where the actual CD was made and sold back then), and compare it to
the CD's that are showing clipping. With an older CD, he clip light
will rarely if ever come on, and the sound will be cleaner.

The song "We Live" was made in 1999. That is the year Bosson made the
original recording.

Given that this is a pretty recent song, is their a solution to this.

Here's more info on "We Live". I have this on the CD. It is a CD
single with 4 songs. The info is on the back of the CD case:

1. We Live 3:41
2. We Live (Random Remix) 3:43
3. We Live (Engines Garage Mix)* 4:10
4. Happy 3:22

Produced by Bosson, Thomas Gustafsson & Hugo Lira
Mixed by Joakim Styren for 101 Kommunikation at Jam Lab Studio 3
*Remixed by Engine
Written by Bosson/Deeno
Published by MNW Music/Random Music/Potato Jam/Regatta

Original version appears on the forthcoming Bosson album
Track 4 Previously Unreleased

Artwork and Photography by Pelie Hokengren and Jonas Linell

Management: Terry and Anthony Anzaldo/Good Guy Entertainment

hollywoodandvine.com

Print Copyright 1999 Capitol Records, Inc.
Manufactured by Capitol Records, Inc.. 1750 Vine Street, Hollywood,
California 90028.
All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized Duplication is a Violation of
Applicable Laws. Printed in U.S.A.

Curious

Default Original Made in 1999

Reposted because it didn't show up on:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=cu...sa=N&scoring=d

[...]

glen herrmannsfeldt

Default Opposite of Mu-law?

Curious wrote:

(snip)

I want loud music w/out the clipping. I don't like the "red" when I
play through my computer software. Clipping has the effect of making
me "feel sorry" for the system. It makes the music depressing. I also
get the creepy feeling that something in the computer is getting
physically damaged because of the clipping. No signs of any damage but
the "placebo effect" stresses me out.

It is likely that others have explained the right answer to
this question, but in many cases dynamic range compression is
the right answer. Listening to classical music, which often has
a large dynamic range, on a car audio system is one. Between the
background road noise and the maximum power available or desirable,
the dynamic range may not be enough for some music.

In days past, compression/expansion systems like DBX were more
popular as noise reduction systems.

-- glen