Ethan Winer

Default Non-modal peaks and nulls - here's the proof!

Don,

This is what I would expect at any frequency ... this has nothing to do

with room modes or standing waves.

Yes, exactly. This is the precise point I have made repeatedly dozens upon
dozens of times here and in many other audio newsgroups. But nobody believed
me, so I made the video to prove the point.

I will mention that standing waves are standing still whether or not they
relate to a room's dimensions. As long as a "forcing" tone is present the
waves will stabilize into a static pattern. But I accept that many people
reserve the term "standing wave" for modal frequencies only.

--Ethan

Don Pearce

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:31:15 -0500, "Ethan Winer" ethanw at
ethanwiner dot com wrote:

Don,

This is what I would expect at any frequency ... this has nothing to do

with room modes or standing waves.

Yes, exactly. This is the precise point I have made repeatedly dozens upon
dozens of times here and in many other audio newsgroups. But nobody believed
me, so I made the video to prove the point.

I will mention that standing waves are standing still whether or not they
relate to a room's dimensions. As long as a "forcing" tone is present the
waves will stabilize into a static pattern. But I accept that many people
reserve the term "standing wave" for modal frequencies only.

--Ethan

OK - I see he problem - one of terminology. What is going on here is
most definitely NOT a standing wave phenomenon, but a free wave one.
Place two speakers a given distance apart, playing the same tone, even
suspended in space, and you will hear this.

The big difference between these comb filtered effects and standing
waves is that there is no resonance involved, there is no build-up and
no finite collapse time. As I said, a completely different phenomenon.

As for standing waves unrelated to the room's dimension - well, yes
and no. The wave will be at its most powerful at exact half wave
multiples., when the forward and back waves arrive in perfect phase.
But standing waves at other frequencies will be of a reduced
amplitude, in cos squared relation between two nodal frequencies. It
looks almost like a resonance with a finite Q, but of course it isn't.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com

Stewart Pinkerton

On 19 Jan 2004 07:00:14 -0800, (Thomas A)
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:25:08 -0500, "Ethan Winer" ethanw at
ethanwiner dot com wrote:

Folks,

Over the past year in various audio newsgroups I've explained that peaks and
severe nulls occur in all rooms at nearly all frequencies. Many people have
argued that nulls can't exist at non-modal frequencies, or disputed that
non-modal nulls exist one quarter wavelength away from a room's boundaries.
Others have argued that low frequency nulls cannot occupy a very small
physical space because the wavelengths are so long.

I just posted a video on my web site that proves all of these phenomena
beyond all reasonable doubt. Go to
www.realtraps.com/videos.htm and you'll
find links for this video in several popular media formats. Although the
video is decidedly home made, the content is presented clearly and
accurately. It was shot all in one take, with no substantive editing, to
document exactly what occurred.

The video is self-explanatory, so all I'll add is to watch carefully the VU
meter and microphone movement because our friend with the camcorder panned
around a little too much. But if you watch closely you'll clearly see the VU
meter dip by large amounts as the mike is moved into and out of the null
zones. Also note that each major meter division is a 9 dB increment, so the
seemingly small deflections actually represent 15 dB and greater null
depths. For reference, the script and other test details are also linked
from that page.

Comments and questions are most welcome.

--Ethan

This is what I would expect at any frequency, and looks a lot like
normal comb filtering - the signal arrives at the microphone via two
paths, one direct and one reflected. For some positions there is
reinforcement and for others cancellation. But this has nothing to do
with room modes or standing waves. It is a purely travelling wave
phenomenon.

Do the test again with every wall padded except one - or even do it
outside on a flat concrete surface so there can be no other
reflections, and you will still find this effect works.

Agree. A speaker located against a wall will show comb filtering
effects due to direct and reflected sound, which have nothing to do
with standing waves.

Indeed, playing with LSPCad will handily demonstrate exactly this
effect.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:26:47 -0500, "Ethan Winer" ethanw at
ethanwiner dot com wrote:

Stewart,

why use a single microphone

As Arny said, the point was to prove the existance of 1/4 wavelength nulls,
not assess their audibility.

And as has been pointed out, they have nothing to do with standing
waves.

Goofball_star_dot_etal

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:30:22 +0000, Don Pearce
wrote:

This is what I would expect at any frequency, and looks a lot like
normal comb filtering - the signal arrives at the microphone via two
paths, one direct and one reflected. For some positions there is
reinforcement and for others cancellation. But this has nothing to do
with room modes or standing waves. It is a purely travelling wave
phenomenon.

Ahem, I thought a standing wave *was* traveling waves (or components
thereof) of the same frequency travelling in opposite directions at
the same speed.

Do the test again with every wall padded except one - or even do it
outside on a flat concrete surface so there can be no other
reflections, and you will still find this effect works.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com

Svante

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in message ...
[...]

Even though I don't have a definite opinion or understanding of this
yet, I have one small warning flag to raise here. The room modes are
fairly easy to calculate for the normal, empty straight-angle room.
You put in a lot of effort to fix such a room, as I saw in the film,
and appreciate the effort you went through. But if the dimensions of
the room is not EXACTLY as what you feed the model or if a corner is
cut in the actual room, the actual mode frequencies will shift
slightly. There were, as I understand some small deviations from the
"straight angled, empty" room, like the ceiling, and the fact that
there were three persons and some equipment inside the room. There is
a risk that the frequencies you measure at are actually mode
frequencies. I am not saying that they were, only that there is a
risk.
I would be very interested in seing frequency sweeps recorded at the
points of the zeroes (and possibly some other locations). Maybe this
could shed some light on what the ACTUAL modes frequencies are. I have
software for this if you are interested.

Randy Yates

ethanwiner dot com wrote:

Don,

This is what I would expect at any frequency ... this has nothing to do

with room modes or standing waves.

Yes, exactly. This is the precise point I have made repeatedly dozens upon
dozens of times here and in many other audio newsgroups. But nobody believed
me, so I made the video to prove the point.

I will mention that standing waves are standing still whether or not they
relate to a room's dimensions. As long as a "forcing" tone is present the
waves will stabilize into a static pattern. But I accept that many people
reserve the term "standing wave" for modal frequencies only.

And they'd be wrong.

--Ethan

OK - I see he problem - one of terminology. What is going on here is
most definitely NOT a standing wave phenomenon, but a free wave one.

And this is most definitely BULL****. The waves Ethan is describing
are precisely "standing waves." Go look it up in a physics book.
--
% Randy Yates % "My Shangri-la has gone away, fading like
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % the Beatles on 'Hey Jude'"

Goofball_star_dot_etal

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 01:39:40 GMT, Randy Yates wrote:

(Goofball_star_dot_etal) writes:

Ahem, I thought a standing wave *was* traveling waves (or components
thereof) of the same frequency travelling in opposite directions at
the same speed.

Apart from the "at the same speed" qualification, which is redundant
(energy at a specific frequency and a specific medium will travel at
the same speed), you're absolutely right.

I was not sure what would happen if there was a wind blowing, err,
through the wall :-)

Arny Krueger

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:08:16 GMT, ow
(Goofball_star_dot_etal) wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:19:51 +0000, Don Pearce
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:03:52 GMT,
ow

wrote:

This is what I would expect at any frequency, and looks a lot like
normal comb filtering - the signal arrives at the microphone via
two paths, one direct and one reflected. For some positions there
is reinforcement and for others cancellation. But this has
nothing to do with room modes or standing waves. It is a purely
travelling wave phenomenon.

Ahem, I thought a standing wave *was* traveling waves (or
components thereof) of the same frequency travelling in opposite
directions at the same speed.

In a standing wave there is no net transfer of energy along the
direction of "travel" of the wave. The energy remains constrained
between two boundaries. This is why they build up; they can be pumped
- and also why they don't die the instant the stimulus is removed.

In fact, standing waves make it impossible to measure the
reverberation time of a room at very low frequencies - the wave
collapses when it will, and the time taken is generally longer than
the T60 of the room.

Travelling waves possess none of these qualities, and must be
handled, both analytically and practically, quite differently.

I'm just sitting here mostly lurking, watching people argue over the
meanings of words. It seems quite clear that something bad is happening in
rooms and something might be done about it. How long does this haggling
over words go on before someone actually says something about improving
sound quality?

Arny Krueger

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:08:16 GMT, ow
(Goofball_star_dot_etal) wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:19:51 +0000, Don Pearce
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:03:52 GMT,
ow

wrote:

[...]

Arny Krueger

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:08:16 GMT, ow
(Goofball_star_dot_etal) wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:19:51 +0000, Don Pearce
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:03:52 GMT,
ow