Giordano

Default Using parallel outputs simultaneously...

Can I use at the same time on each channel (of Behringer's Composer Pro-XL
MDX 2600) BOTH outputs - e.g. on channel 2 - XLR output & TRS (6,3 mm/ 1/4˝)
output, and on channel 1 - XLR output & TRS output?
The reason is: I want to use first (XLR) output into the line in of my
soundcard (Terratec's Phase 22), and the second one (TRS) into the line in
of my mixer(Behringer's UB 802), so I can direct monitor signal I (want to)
record...I heard rather not to do something like this, for the reason of
different impedance of these
inputs (I'm not familiar with this stuff like impedance, etc.). And for the
record, I found (in manual, spec.) that XLR output impedance is 95 kOhms,
and TRS 50
kOhms...hope I didn't miss something...
Thanks for your patience...Giordano.

R. Foote

"Giordano" wrote in message ...
Can I use at the same time on each channel (of Behringer's Composer Pro-XL
MDX 2600) BOTH outputs - e.g. on channel 2 - XLR output & TRS (6,3 mm/ 1/4˝)
output, and on channel 1 - XLR output & TRS output?
The reason is: I want to use first (XLR) output into the line in of my
soundcard (Terratec's Phase 22), and the second one (TRS) into the line in
of my mixer(Behringer's UB 802), so I can direct monitor signal I (want to)
record...I heard rather not to do something like this, for the reason of
different impedance of these
inputs (I'm not familiar with this stuff like impedance, etc.). And for the
record, I found (in manual, spec.) that XLR output impedance is 95 kOhms,
and TRS 50
kOhms...hope I didn't miss something...
Thanks for your patience...Giordano.

That is no problem. I do it all the time.

You can almost always drive 2 inputs from 1 output. However, you can't
drive 1 input with 2 outputs without a mixer.

Roger
Samuel Groner

Should not cause any problem.
Samuel
Giordano

Is what you're connecting to the TRS jack a balanced input? If so, it

should work fine. If it's unbalanced and the two outputs aren't isolated (I
suspect that the TRS and XLR jacks are just wired in parallel)

Well, in manual (of Behringer Composer Pro-XL MDX2600) I' ve found that:
"The two matching 1/4˝ TRS and XLR connectors are wired in parallel and
balanced. Of course, unbalanced cables can be connected here as well."
In manual of my mixer (Behringer Eurorack UB802) I' ve found that: "Each
stereo channel has two balanced line level inputs on 1/4˝ jacks for left and
right channels...Both inputs will also accept unbalanced jacks."
And finally, in manual of my soundcard (Terratec Phase 22), I' ve found
that: "The connections have been realized as 1/4˝jacks and offer a balanced
signal...Naturally, it is also possible to connect unbalanced mono jacks."

So, does it means that is really all the same...whether I use balanced or
unbalanced cable, or not?
Or, shall I rephrase...may I, then, e.g. connect the TRS output (of Composer
Pro) and the TRS input (of mixer) with unbalanced cable?
Ad finem...does the term "unbalanced" cable means mono cable, and "balanced"
cable means stereo?

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Well, in manual (of Behringer Composer Pro-XL MDX2600) I' ve found that:
"The two matching 1/4˝ TRS and XLR connectors are wired in parallel and
balanced. Of course, unbalanced cables can be connected here as well."

In manual of my mixer (Behringer Eurorack UB802) I' ve found that: "Each
stereo channel has two balanced line level inputs on 1/4˝ jacks for left and
right channels...Both inputs will also accept unbalanced jacks."

And finally, in manual of my soundcard (Terratec Phase 22), I' ve found
that: "The connections have been realized as 1/4˝jacks and offer a balanced
signal...Naturally, it is also possible to connect unbalanced mono jacks."

So, does it means that is really all the same...whether I use balanced or
unbalanced cable, or not?

What it means is that you can use either. But if you have a balanced
source and a balanced destination, you may get some advantage by using
balanced connections. However, from what you've read, it appears that
you could use an 'unbalanced' cable between your Composer and mixer or
sound card and you'd get signal.

There are many different output and a couple of different input
configurations, and there are some combinations that don't play nicely
together if one is balanced and the other is not. But most all can be
made to work with a little experimenting.

Or, shall I rephrase...may I, then, e.g. connect the TRS output (of Composer
Pro) and the TRS input (of mixer) with unbalanced cable?

Yes, but it's better to use a "balanced" cable with TRS plugs on both
ends.

Ad finem...does the term "unbalanced" cable means mono cable, and "balanced"
cable means stereo?

No - it has nothing to do with mono or stereo. The reason why thet
sometimes get referred to that way is that stereo has two channels,
therefore it requires a separate wiring path for each channel. A
"stereo" plug has two contacts (the Tip and Ring) for those two wires,
and the Sleeve is the common or ground connection that they both
share. One channel's signal is between the tip and sleeve, the other
channel's signal is between the ring and sleeve. Headphones are wired
this way.

A balanced connection has the signal connected between the tip and
ring, and the sleeve carries no signal current - it's where the cable
shield is connected.

Note to nitpickers: I know this isn't really correct, but don't
confuse the original with equal source impedances and differential
inputs. He's not ready for that yet.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Zlata S.

"The two matching 1/4˝ TRS and XLR connectors are wired in parallel...

If so, I think you cannot use at the same time, correct me if I'm wrong...
Bye!

Monte P McGuire

In article , Zlata S. wrote:
"The two matching 1/4˝ TRS and XLR connectors are wired in parallel...

If so, I think you cannot use at the same time, correct me if I'm wrong...
Bye!

Well, consider yourself corrected. It's just like using a hardware
multi on a patchbay. Why the heck would you not be able to mult an
output to two inputs, assuming everything's wired properly??

Regards,

Monte McGuire

Giordano

I cannot thank you enough for the thorough and kind aswer(s) you gave
me...So, again, thank you very much Mike Rivers!