Sarahsmith

Default laptop to stereo?

Alert! Newbie here!

Problem: Need to play CD's on church hifi system. The drawback is that the
system doesn't have a CD player.

I want the music to go through the speakers arranged around the church. I'm
trying to find the easiest and cheapest way of doing this.

I have all the CD's backed up onto my laptop and it did occur to me that
perhaps I can connect the laptop to the system and control the music via the
laptop, which could be good. The sound system on the laptop is poor. Will
the sound quality be equal to church system or my laptop sound card?

I also have a minidisk, which I know will work okay, but it's fiddly to
control and the lighting will be poor.

Any ideas? Laptop to stereo - is this possible? Would the quality be good?
Any cheap alternatives? In very plain English please

Many thanks

Sarah

William Sommerwerck

Do this the easy way... Keep it simple...

Take your CD player to the church and play the discs manually. Don't get
involved fooling with the computer.

When I go to Christmas parties, I take a CD changer, drop in a few well-chosen
discs, and hit "random play."

Sarahsmith

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Do this the easy way... Keep it simple...

Take your CD player to the church and play the discs manually. Don't
get involved fooling with the computer.

When I go to Christmas parties, I take a CD changer, drop in a few
well-chosen discs, and hit "random play."

Thanks for your reply. Trouble is, the music is backing 200 children so we
need some volume. My CD player doesn't have an 'aux out' or whatever it is,
so I can't connect it to the sound system. In the past, we have used my
portable CD player on it's own and it's just about worked, as long as you
can stand a full distorted volume at the front and not hear anything at the
back.

Not ideal.

Any other suggestions?

BTW. We only need one CD as I have made a compilation of the songs

Thanks
Sarah

Sarahsmith

Eric K. Weber wrote:
Get an actuall musicain to "back" the 200 children...
A group of this size should justify a real musician instead of canned
music...

Rgds:
Eric

Well, I can dream! I'm in the UK and the music budget in our school doesn't
run to such heights. The CD's are of excellent quality - and they are
bought out of my own pocket.

We don't even have a piano at the church, just an old organ - and no
organist. They have rehearsed with the CD's, just need to work out how to
get them going in the church.

Sarah

Peter Larsen

Sarahsmith wrote:

Alert! Newbie here!

Welcome!

Problem: Need to play CD's on church hifi system.
The drawback is that the
system doesn't have a CD player.

Defining the problem defines the solution. The church should get a cheap
DVD and do-all player of the Chinese Dungeon brand, those are cheap and
reliable and play any and all kinds of homeburn too.

I want the music to go through the speakers arranged
around the church. I'm trying to find the easiest and
cheapest way of doing this.

You need to know how to plug into the system. It may be that you need
some kind of control amplifier and it may be that you need to combine
stereo to mono.

I have all the CD's backed up onto my laptop

Keep YOUR laptop well out of it. If you want to give something to the
Church, then give them a USD 50 doall player, they are DKK 500 here in
Denmark, and they are OK for the purpose.

Any cheap alternatives? In very plain English please

Outlined above, incompletely but that is because not all is known. "Some
kind of control preamplifier" could be available second hand, you should
probably look for one at a well reputed shop that will give you a
reasonable warranty, I don't want to send you off to get one at a flea
market, but it is highly probable that someone in the congreation has
one that will do at "the right price".

First however determine whether it is simply a matter of connecting the
CD player to the sound system in the church and if so: how.

Many thanks

Please, please please do keep the solution simple.

Sarah

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Peter Larsen

Sarahsmith wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Trouble is, the music is backing 200 children so we
need some volume.

A, the default rule for all usenet questions apply .... they never
supply relevant information up front.

My CD player doesn't have an 'aux out' or whatever it is,
so I can't connect it to the sound system.

Get a suitable one donated to the church or purchased by the church.

In the past, we have used my portable CD player on it's own
and it's just about worked, as long as you can stand a full
distorted volume at the front and not hear anything at the
back.

Just why do you want to use the church sound system, presumeably
designed for speech, when it is clearly not up to the task?

Not ideal.

No, and that issue is not solved just by another CD-player.

Any other suggestions?

Call the local pa company and rent a couple of speakers "on a stick" and
a poweramp and a cd-player (they probably have it in a rack) for the
occasion.
It could in this day and age of "dynamic worship" be quite relevant for
the church to own such a system, but we are then rapidly leaving what at
least I feel comfortable about advising on remotely on so sparse
information.

Putting a sound system into a church is not always simple, it has to fit
as well visually as acoustically, it should assist and not obstruct nor
offend visually or by being too loud.

BTW. We only need one CD as I have made a compilation of the songs

Please do be aware that the above is based on incomplete and sketchy
information, all kinds of deviations from "the assumed" could alter or
void any or all suggestions. Simpler said: your mileage may vary.

Thanks
Sarah

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Kalman Rubinson

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 23:29:19 -0000, "Sarahsmith"
wrote:

It's not that I want to use the laptop. As I said, we usually use a CD
player, but we can't connect it to the stereo system to get the volume.
I've had 5 CD players donated and I have 3 of my own, but not one of them
has an 'out' socket.

If it has a headphone jack, that will do and, in fact, give more
output than you need. The problem MAY be with the church's sound
system. You're not trying to plug the player into a MICROPHONE input,
are you?

Kal

Sarahsmith

wrote:

If it has a headphone jack, that will do and, in fact, give more
output than you need. The problem MAY be with the church's sound
system. You're not trying to plug the player into a MICROPHONE input,
are you?

LOL. Nope. To be honest, I haven't tried plugging anything into the
system. I was looking for an aux out place on the CD player, couldn't find
one, so assumed that I couldn't plug it in. So, you reckon I could use the
headphone jack? That makes sense - told you I didn't know anything.

So I plug it in on the system in some place called 'in' (aux in/input??) on
the church system? What sort of cable do I need?

I'm still confused about one thing (well many things actually), but one in
particular. Just say I use a poor CD player, but plug it into a good sound
system, is the quality of the sound similar to the CD player or the sound
system?

I'm assuming that if I burn a CD on a computer that has no sound card, I
will still be able to hear the burnt CD when I play it on a normal CD
player, so the sound on the computer is bypassed. Am I right? Will the
quality of sound be 'bypassed' if I did have an aux in on the CD player. I
think that if it goes through the headphone socket, I am going to have the
sound of the CD player. Just wondering and I appreciate your help.

Sarah

Kalman Rubinson

wrote:

If it has a headphone jack, that will do and, in fact, give more
output than you need. The problem MAY be with the church's sound
system. You're not trying to plug the player into a MICROPHONE input,
are you?

LOL. Nope. To be honest, I haven't tried plugging anything into the
system. I was looking for an aux out place on the CD player, couldn't find
one, so assumed that I couldn't plug it in. So, you reckon I could use the
headphone jack? That makes sense - told you I didn't know anything.

You can probably use the headphone jack but be sure to start with the
volume all the way down.

So I plug it in on the system in some place called 'in' (aux in/input??) on
the church system? What sort of cable do I need?

Any appropriately terminated audio interconnect would work. Without
knowing more, it's hard to say. Is the input stereo or mono?

I'm still confused about one thing (well many things actually), but one in
particular. Just say I use a poor CD player, but plug it into a good sound
system, is the quality of the sound similar to the CD player or the sound
system?

Any (ANY) undamaged CD player should be adequate.

I'm assuming that if I burn a CD on a computer that has no sound card, I
will still be able to hear the burnt CD when I play it on a normal CD
player, so the sound on the computer is bypassed. Am I right?

??? Probably. Haven't ever had a burner on a computer without a sound
card.

Will the
quality of sound be 'bypassed' if I did have an aux in on the CD player.

I do not understand this 'bypassed.'

think that if it goes through the headphone socket, I am going to have the
sound of the CD player.

Either way, you will have the sound of the CD player. The only
difference between the two outputs(!) on the player is the opamp that
powers them.

Kal
bugsy

Sarah-
It seems like some of these guys have made it more complicated
than it need be. Contrary to what Mike "The Mouth" Rivers says this is very
simple.

If you want to use the laptop you can go to any any Radio Shack store or
it's UK equivalent and buy either an adapter and or cable to make the
connection from the sound system to your laptop. All you need to do is note
the size of the output jack on your laptop and the input size on the pa
system. For example 1/8 to 1/4.

If you want to use the CD player the same applies and as for the quality of
the sound as long as the volume on the cd player and the laptop is not so
high it would be distorted then you can control the volume through the
church PA without worrying about the quality of the audio.

Unlike some of these guys I am speaking from experience and not simply
spewing from my butt.
wrote:

[...]

Rich Wilner

[...]

hi sarah, this is pretty easy.
what you need is to connect the output of your laptop'ssoudcard to the
input of the amplifiers running your church sound system. The line
out (might be labeled as "headphone out") of your laptop's soundcard
will be a 1/8" jack (probably with a green ring around it). if you're
using consumer gear in the church, the amplifier will have stereo rca
inputs. if it's pro, it will likely have 1/4" inputs.
find out what kind of inputs the stereo at the church has, and buy a
1/8" stereo miniplug to stereo RCA or 1/4" at radio shack. that
should do the trick.
I think the fidelity of your laptop's soundcard will be just fine for
this application. I use my laptop in this way at parties and it works
like a charm, i can make a 6 hour playlist and walk away, and I have
access to every song I own.
Rich
Sarahsmith

Rich Wilner wrote:

hi sarah, this is pretty easy.
what you need is to connect the output of your laptop'ssoudcard to the
input of the amplifiers running your church sound system. The line
out (might be labeled as "headphone out") of your laptop's soundcard
will be a 1/8" jack (probably with a green ring around it). if you're
using consumer gear in the church, the amplifier will have stereo rca
inputs. if it's pro, it will likely have 1/4" inputs.
find out what kind of inputs the stereo at the church has, and buy a
1/8" stereo miniplug to stereo RCA or 1/4" at radio shack. that
should do the trick.
I think the fidelity of your laptop's soundcard will be just fine for
this application. I use my laptop in this way at parties and it works
like a charm, i can make a 6 hour playlist and walk away, and I have
access to every song I own.

Thankyou, thankyou Rich and Bugsy for your replies. This is the sort of
realistic help I need. I'll have a go.

Sarah.

Scott Dorsey

Sarahsmith wrote:

It's not that I want to use the laptop. As I said, we usually use a CD
player, but we can't connect it to the stereo system to get the volume.
I've had 5 CD players donated and I have 3 of my own, but not one of them
has an 'out' socket. The only ones I can find belong to my home system
which is expensive and I'm reluctant to separate it up for use in the church
in case it gets damaged.

How do you get audio out of them, then?

Honestly, CD players are not expensive these days. A trip to your local
pawnshop will get you any one of a number of decent single-disc players
for under fifty bucks. Even one of the cheap Walkman style ones will
probably do the job.
malcolm

Eric K. Weber wrote:
Get an actuall musicain to "back" the 200 children...
A group of this size should justify a real musician instead of canned
music...

Rgds:
Eric

Well, I can dream! I'm in the UK and the music budget in our school

doesn't
run to such heights. The CD's are of excellent quality - and they are
bought out of my own pocket.

We don't even have a piano at the church, just an old organ - and no
organist. They have rehearsed with the CD's, just need to work out how to
get them going in the church.

Sarah

advertise on local radio and local newspaper for volunteer muscians,
people will come and help

malcolm

wrote:

[...]

depends on the type of peanut butter you spread on the CD.................

William Sommerwerck

Thanks for your reply. Trouble is, the music is backing 200 children so we
need some volume. My CD player doesn't have an 'aux out' or whatever it is,
so I can't connect it to the sound system. In the past, we have used my
portable CD player on its own and it's just about worked, as long as you
can stand a full distorted volume at the front and not hear anything at the
back.

Ah... Now we understand.

You need to borrow someone's regular CD player as would be used in a home hi-fi
system. Surely one of your church members has one.

Sarahsmith

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Trouble is, the music is backing 200 children
so we need some volume. My CD player doesn't have an 'aux out' or
whatever it is, so I can't connect it to the sound system. In the
past, we have used my portable CD player on its own and it's just
about worked, as long as you
can stand a full distorted volume at the front and not hear anything
at the back.

Ah... Now we understand.

You need to borrow someone's regular CD player as would be used in a
home hi-fi system. Surely one of your church members has one.

I'm not a member of the church. I have 200 school kids, taught them 9
christmas songs, got permission to sing them in the local church, told that
they had a sound system I could use, assumed it included a CD player, found
out it didn't, wondered if connecting the laptop would work.

Thought I would ask people who knew about these things before I tried it and
possibly blew the church up. I do not wish to borrow a part of someone's
hi-fi system, I just wondered about the possibility of connecting the
laptop.

I don't think that hiring an orchestra (3 days notice), is a practical
answer. Nor is spreading peanut butter on the CD (another poster). I just
wanted to play some CD's through the sound system, quickly and easily. I
have already gone to a fair amount of expense for these children and many
hours unpaid. Not complaining - they are a great bunch - but you've got to
stop somewhere.

It was a simple request....can it be done? Would it sound okay? I will be
taking these children to the church tomorrow for a rehearsal and that will
be the first time that I get to see the system. As I said - I am a newbie
with such matters, but I am used to usenet - ask a question, ask for help
and you will always get the odd few people who probably don't have any good
answers so resort to stupid ones hoping that people will think they have a
brain cell or two.

So thanks to everyone who responded with something sensible.

Sarah

Peter Larsen

Sarahsmith wrote:

had (a laptop). I thought that the laptop idea might be a bad one, but
since I know nothing about these sort of things, thought I would ask you
experts.

Actually it begins to make sense to just use the laptop. What output
connections does it offer and what input connections does the church
sound system offer and could you please describe it, thanks!

Sarah

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Peter Larsen

bugsy wrote:

Sarah-
It seems like some of these guys have made it more complicated
than it need be.

Yes, this because the factual situation was incompletely described and
everybody followed up from their understanding of it.

If you want to use the laptop you can go to any any Radio Shack store or
it's UK equivalent and buy either an adapter and or cable to make the
connection from the sound system to your laptop. All you need to do is note
the size of the output jack on your laptop and the input size on the pa
system. For example 1/8 to 1/4.

If you want to use the CD player the same applies and as for the quality of
the sound as long as the volume on the cd player and the laptop is not so
high it would be distorted then you can control the volume through the
church PA without worrying about the quality of the audio.

You're right - usual disclaimer apply.

Unlike some of these guys I am speaking from experience and not simply
spewing from my butt.

A comment does not seem direly needed.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Peter Larsen

Sarahsmith wrote:

I'm not a member of the church. I have 200 school kids, taught them 9
christmas songs, got permission to sing them in the local church, told that
they had a sound system I could use, assumed it included a CD player, found
out it didn't, wondered if connecting the laptop would work.

This is how you should have asked the original question Sarah .... O;-)
.... but of course, then we haven't had all the interesting byproducts
that actually may make sense to someone else in a similar situation.

So thanks to everyone who responded with something sensible.

Sarah

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

It's not that I want to use the laptop. As I said, we usually use a CD
player, but we can't connect it to the stereo system to get the volume.
I've had 5 CD players donated and I have 3 of my own, but not one of them
has an 'out' socket.

Get a portable (Walkman type) one. They all have a headphone jack, and
you can use that as an output to feed the sound system.

The church already has what it needs and does not wish to buy themselves
anything extra to accomadate us just once a year.

That being the case, renting a sound system for the show seems like
the best idea. Tell the sound company that you're renting from that
you need a CD player and they'll provide it.

I thought that the laptop idea might be a bad one, but
since I know nothing about these sort of things, thought I would ask you
experts.

It's not that bad of an idea, but it's a needless complication. Given
that it's a one-shot deal, you might as well go ahead and use it. Try
it first though, to be sure you know how to connect it to the church
system and what results you'll get. If it works OK, you can almost
certainly substitute any CD player for it. And if it doesn't work,
neither will a CD player.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

James Perrett

Sarahsmith wrote:

Eric K. Weber wrote:
Get an actuall musicain to "back" the 200 children...
A group of this size should justify a real musician instead of canned
music...

Rgds:
Eric

Well, I can dream! I'm in the UK and the music budget in our school doesn't
run to such heights. The CD's are of excellent quality - and they are
bought out of my own pocket.

We don't even have a piano at the church, just an old organ - and no
organist. They have rehearsed with the CD's, just need to work out how to
get them going in the church.

Sarah

Sounds like you need to find the person who runs the church PA. They've
almost certainly had to do this kind of things before. Failing that you
need to describe what inputs you have on the church PA. Whereabouts are
you in the UK? Is there a Maplin branch nearby?

Cheers.

James.
Pooh Bear

Sarahsmith wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Do this the easy way... Keep it simple...

Take your CD player to the church and play the discs manually. Don't
get involved fooling with the computer.

When I go to Christmas parties, I take a CD changer, drop in a few
well-chosen discs, and hit "random play."

Thanks for your reply. Trouble is, the music is backing 200 children so we
need some volume. My CD player doesn't have an 'aux out' or whatever it is,
so I can't connect it to the sound system.

Use the headphone out instead. It does much the same thing. You can easily get
an adaptor from the stereo headphone jack to whatever you need to connect to the
Church system.

Graham

Pooh Bear

Peter Larsen wrote:

Sarahsmith wrote:

[...]

It turns out that the Church is in the UK.

There's nothing particularly dynamic about worship here. Not that many Christians
either - lol - but that's another story.

Graham

Rich Wilner

Rich Wilner wrote:

[...]

what you're looking for is a "line in" on the church power amplifier,
not a microphone in.
you can indeed use your cd player boombox in a manner identical to the
way i described using your laptop (via the headphone out).
the bad fidelity you hear through your boombox is the result of small
speakers being fed by an inadequate amplifier. if the church has a
sound system, I am willing to bet it will sound fabulous being fed
from the headphone output of your boombox or laptop.
I would suggest using the cd player for two reasons. one, it's cheap
and portable and simple to operate. two, it has a volume control for
the headphone output in the form of a knob or dial, whereas your
laptop probably does not and must be adjusted in software...the
knob/dial makes adjusting the output volume easier.
good luck!
Rich
Peter Larsen

Pooh Bear wrote:

It turns out that the Church is in the UK.

It has been fairly obvious all along that it was probably in the UK and
that it certainly was not in the US of A.

There's nothing particularly dynamic about worship here.

Don't say that, I can recall a conversation with someone who wanted to
install something that could outperform the local disco with zero regard
for what one can do in a medieaval room, fixed installation of large
sound systems is not one of them and congregations usually do not
require getting deafened during the sermon.

I think one has to accept that the noise pollution we live in has
habituated people to getting stuff reinforced no matter the need and
relevance. Simple ill audience behavior can make reinforcing "non-noisy"
music highly relevant, they just can not sit still anymore.

Graham

Kind regards

Peter Larsen